Tons of YT channels out there… but what about a blog, instead?

CJayC

Jan 14, 2017
Auburn, WA
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In a couple weeks or so, I'll finally have the extra funds available to get a machine and all the gear to go along with it, and I'll actually be able to start partaking in the hobby I've been following for almost a year. I've been thinking that starting a YouTube channel would be an interesting and fun thing to do along the way, but there is just no realistic way that I'd have enough time to maintain it at all. A couple hunts and videos here and there sure, but nothing on a regular basis.

Then, I started thinking about doing a blog instead. It'd be a lot easier to create content for it because I wouldn't be pressed to always push out a new video with every update like I would if I had an actual channel. My only concern, however, is if there's a big enough audience within the hobby to make it a worthwhile venture.

What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Upvote 0

Eleven Cents

Nov 30, 2016
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One of the reasons content creators prefer YT is that it's easy to monetize. If you're not trying to monetize it, then blog away and don't worry about what anyone else thinks. Write for yourself.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got both, and yes, it's a very saturated niche. Having said this, I also enjoy writing and making videos, so for me it just extends my enjoyment of the hobby. It's also a means of sharing with family and friends and even making some new friends and acquaintances in the process. Having said this, if your goal is to grow a noticeable audience then you're going to have to keep creating new content which means turning something you're doing for enjoyment into something of a job so I just do it for the enjoyment and produce content whenever I'm in the mood and I have the time.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do like most of us, there are plenty of forums to post topics right here. I am not one to snoop out personal blogs.

GL & HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread