DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haven't been around in awhile. Haven't been finding a whole lot lately this year but did turn up a few surprises . Found the saber bayonet a few months ago, was kind of a shock when I got down to it and realized what it was. I think it went to a Enfield. Found the NC button about a month ago. The shank is missing but has a strong back mark, S.A. Myers/Richmond VA.. The CS staff officers button was one I have been after for ever. It has its shank but I hate that it is pushed on the face. I believe this one was a British import. Also found a Reale , cut bit, and a half dime. The powder flask top I found in two pieces on two different occasions . Anyway I hope everyone has been well. It's good to be back. HH IMG_1316.JPG IMG_1304.JPG IMG_1289.JPG IMG_1294.JPG IMG_1295.JPG IMG_1296.JPG IMG_1285.JPG IMG_1287.JPG IMG_1306.JPG IMG_1308.JPG IMG_1310.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!!! Incredible finds!! Well done!! Congrats and HH

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!!! Love the Saber!!! That would have cost me a pair of shorts!
Great finds Bud. Glad to see you back.

HH, RN

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
awesome finds! I love them all and would be excited to have found any of them, especially the saber and the powder flask top. the saber would be a heart stopper too! I guess you were smiling non stop after finding it.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice assortment of finds, being drawn to the silvers mainly I really think the safer is the home run of finds. Any plans on how you're going to preserve it?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Sheesk, you east coast guys have all the fun. Reales and bayonets are brimming out of every sandbox over there, eh ?

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!!! Love the Saber!!! That would have cost me a pair of shorts!
Great finds Bud. Glad to see you back.

H, RN
Thanks joe. It was quite a rush to entrench it. Was really smiling when I pulled it up.

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome finds! I love them all and would be excited to have found any of them, especially the saber and the powder flask top. the saber would be a heart stopper too! I guess you were smiling non stop after finding it.
Hey dirtlooter, how have you been? When I was on here awhile back I didn't think you posting anymore. Good to see you on here. Yeah man it made my day that's for sure.

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice assortment of finds, being drawn to the silvers mainly I really think the safer is the home run of finds. Any plans on how you're going to preserve it?
Thanks. I'll probably just let oxidation take it course and just let it flake naturally over time.

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sheesk, you east coast guys have all the fun. Reales and bayonets are brimming out of every sandbox over there, eh ?
lol, Its not all it is cut out to be. A whole lot of hours for me right there. Now the north east seems to be where the milk and honey lay. Besides you guys over there got all of what everyone wants. The GOLD.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
lol, Its not all it is cut out to be. A whole lot of hours for me right there. Now the north east seems to be where the milk and honey lay. Besides you guys over there got all of what everyone wants. The GOLD.

Yeah, we don't have LC's, colonial coppers, and bust coins in all our sandboxes like you east coast guys do. But you're right : More gold coins get found over here. I know lots of guys who've found 1, 2, or 3. And a few others who got 5 to 15. Naturally these tend to be the more "hard-core" guys, but .... When you compare that to the east coast "hard-core" guys, there are folks on the east coast who are AS HARD CORE AS THEY COME, yet never found a gold coin (or found only "1", etc.....)

There's been threads on this subject as to the disparity. Because Philly minted gold coins too after all, so ... on the surface, it seems there is no reason for the disparity. But theories were put forth that do explain why more end up here. The one that makes most sense to me is that all the population migration (from the gold rush to the start of WWI) was always: East TO west. And at a time when cargo-space was at a premium, and in an era before banks and ATMs, when you got ready to pack up the entire family and head west, you would have tended to consolidate all your cash into the smallest packages for transport. Eg.: would you rather lug 500 large cents across the USA in a covered wagon ? Or a single $5 gold ?

That's just one of several reasons/theories that got bandied around in a thread on the disparity differences.

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, we don't have LC's, colonial coppers, and bust coins in all our sandboxes like you east coast guys do. But you're right : More gold coins get found over here. I know lots of guys who've found 1, 2, or 3. And a few others who got 5 to 15. Naturally these tend to be the more "hard-core" guys, but .... When you compare that to the east coast "hard-core" guys, there are folks on the east coast who are AS HARD CORE AS THEY COME, yet never found a gold coin (or found only "1", etc.....)

There's been threads on this subject as to the disparity. Because Philly minted gold coins too after all, so ... on the surface, it seems there is no reason for the disparity. But theories were put forth that do explain why more end up here. The one that makes most sense to me is that all the population migration (from the gold rush to the start of WWI) was always: East TO west. And at a time when cargo-space was at a premium, and in an era before banks and ATMs, when you got ready to pack up the entire family and head west, you would have tended to consolidate all your cash into the smallest packages for transport. Eg.: would you rather lug 500 large cents across the USA in a covered wagon ? Or a single $5 gold ?

That's just one of several reasons/theories that got bandied around in a thread on the disparity differences.
That theory makes complete sense to me Tom. Probably has allot to do with the difference. I would guess a gold coin has to be pretty rare to find no matter what side the map your on, considering for one thing that was allot of money for someone to lose . I have been at it for a pretty long time now and have yet to find one. Maybe one of these days.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
That theory makes complete sense to me Tom. Probably has allot to do with the difference. I would guess a gold coin has to be pretty rare to find no matter what side the map your on, considering for one thing that was allot of money for someone to lose . I have been at it for a pretty long time now and have yet to find one. Maybe one of these days.

If you ever look at legal documents from the 1800's, for large transactions between 2 individuals (eg.: real estate transaction, etc...) you will often see the following curious phrases: "... downpayment at $100 in gold coins".... . So as you can see: Gold coins (no matter which coast) were a larger medium of payment, only brought out for when something like going to purchase a horse, or down-payment on real estate, etc...

Thus it would be like today: You get your paycheck from your employer which might be $500 or $1000 in a week. Yet that goes into the bank. But.. in your wallet : You only carry around smaller bills ($1s, $5, $10s, etc....) You do NOT tend to carry around $500 in your wallet, eh ? So too would the same logic (adjusted for inflation) back in those days.

My theory of east to west immigration patterns seemed to hold the most water when/if I could say that most here are found at stage stop type locations (where "travelling" would be expected, in a day-&-age when persons packed up their lives for movement). However, they've also been found at recreational spots too. Like parks, spring-resorts, the beach after storms, etc... And some at places where 1840s/50s military passed through. So ... there's still seemingly other factors. If you search via key words on the forum: There was a long thread on the subject where various explanations were explored.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions