looking to upgrade

TMosh

Aug 14, 2017
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a cheap "Gold Digger" metal detector from a sporting goods store a few years back for my daughter. It's a fun little detector, but certainly not top of the line. Her and I went out a few times but she lost interest so i inherited it, so to speak.

I mostly use it to find shells after target practice.

I would like to purchase something a little nicer, but not break the bank. It is just a hobby for me.
I was looking at one of the Garrett brand detectors.
Any advice?

Upvote 0

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AT Pro is a great machine for around $600. It's paid for itself many times over for me.

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm an AT Pro guy as well. Especially if you are interested in hunting creeks, lakes, etc. It's all terrain capabilities and strong search capabilities have served me very well. It got me my little 1849 Liberty Head gold dollar, the smallest minted coin in US history at 13mm and 1.67 grams and I've made back my investment overall as well. Good luck in your detector search and your hunting!

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to go in lower cost, the ACE 350 is a nice machine. Also, check out used detectors to get a stronger model at a comparable price. There's a marketplace on TNet you can browse for that.

EastCoastmetal

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2016
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro International
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you have enough for a AT pro, I would get the new Max instead, if its out yet... I have a AT pro and it works good , but apparently the Max is better.

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have enough for a AT pro, I would get the new Max instead, if its out yet... I have a AT pro and it works good , but apparently the Max is better.

I've heard that's fake news... :tongue3:

To be fair, the Max will be more expensive than the Pro, so we are moving up in cost. It could be that the Max will put some Pros on the used detector market. Maybe mine... :laughing7:

Silver Saver

Mar 15, 2017
Center of North America
Detector(s) used
Etrac- Sunray x5, x8, x12. Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eurotek pro is one if the best in its price range, little over $200. It's a newer machine than the ace line and has better tones and VDI(target number I.d.). Plus great depth and separation for the cost. The 11" DD coil makes it better too for a little more money. Lots of info out there if you search "eurotek pro" or "eurotek pro vs (machine)"

OP
OP
T

TMosh

Aug 14, 2017
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys. All good advise. I'll check into a better used one for sure !

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an Fisher F70 thats available. If you're interested PM me for the price.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have enough for a AT pro, I would get the new Max instead, if its out yet... I have a AT pro and it works good , but apparently the Max is better

Not a realistic test. No one swings their coil like that. When I'm looking for deep targets, I swing fast and with a wide swath. Picks up those deep targets much better that way. The test also ignores the very important "when in doubt, dig it out" theory that all good detectorists adhere to. Just my take on it...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread