Question about Explorer II settings

One_more_hole

Jul 17, 2017
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Equinox 800; Explorer II; Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am getting a lot of false high tones and shifting silver signals.... nearly all end up being iron nails/bolts/screws. This is especially bad around old houses. The only time I can be 90% sure it's a coin is when the numbers are repeatable at different angles and in the known range for said coin. Although I have learned not to dig the iffy signals I am second guessing whether I have my settings correct for coin shooting trashy areas ( mainly curb strips, parks and around old homes ). I understand that iffy signals can be good finds but I get burned every time...rusty bolt...square nail...bent nail, etc.

Tones: Cond
Variability: 10
Volume: 10
Gain: 8
Sensitivity 18
Thresh 8
Fast: on
Deep: on
Iron mask: on -6

I do not use the graph preferring to look at the ferr/cond numbers. I did buy a 6" Excelerator EQ2 DD coil which I hope helps ( haven't tried it yet ).

Any advice? For example, if I were to lower the sensitivity to 5 or 6 will that be too low to get the deeper coins? I read where some guys run the sens at 24 up to 32....can't imagine the noise I'd hear if I did that!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am usually digging some iron also just to make sure its not something good. You can turn the pinpointer on to see how big the object is. I use about the same settings. You usually can tell the sweet sound of a coin. Just trust the detector is working. I would just bump up the iron mask like Tom said untill you get used to where you want it. Some of that old iron the detector sets off is the thick old good stuff, irons, stirrups, ect... worth digging. Good luck!

OP
OP
O

One_more_hole

Jul 17, 2017
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Equinox 800; Explorer II; Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Tom and diggin...

I will make the adjustment... appreciate the help!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread