Looking for a mid-tier detector

darktryad

Aug 19, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just started metal detecting with a Garrett 150. Found some coins in my backyard, but I already feel like I've outgrown this MD. It beeps when you're roughly over the target, but pinpointing the exact location to dig is too slow. I want something that will provide feedback to home down the location quickly and precisely. Any suggestions? I have a pinpointer, which helps. But it doesn't tell me where to dig when the target is more than 2 inches below ground.

Upvote 0

13dolphins1

Gold Member
Jul 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At pro is where I went with the ace series that I owned. Similar set up and tones made it a easier transition than a while new machine. Good detector for the price, waterproof. I didn't miss a beat and needed little time to adjust. Good depth and a vmi reading which is pretty accurate. Horrible is dark rich Sandy soil and ocean and beach use. Good foe the overall price. Garret carrot is nice pinpointer and about 110.00 though.
Hope this helps

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AT Pro
Minelab X-Terra 505
Tesoro Silver uMax / Vaquero / Outlaw
Fisher F75
Whites MX5

Do your homework, and talk to the sponsors here on the forum for a great deal! :occasion14:

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It all depends on where and what you want to hunt.Generally speaking the majority of detectors are no good at the beach.

Chub

Silver Saver

Mar 15, 2017
Center of North America
Detector(s) used
Etrac- Sunray x5, x8, x12. Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At pro is a very popular mid tier machine. Although if I were going to buy a VLF detector I think I would go with the Makro Racer 2. Just because it's one of the best single frequency detectors there is. It's at the higher end of VLF detectors though and a little more money. There are metal detector classified sites out there too where you can buy used and save some decent money, "Treasure related stuff" section on this forum is one of those classified sites, eBay is another, and a few more. As for pinpointing, not sure if you know the "wiggle" method but it can be a helpful technique. Here is a video showing how it's done. He's not using your detector but it still works the same. The method can be done by wiggling the coil over your target and slowly pulling the coil either toward you or away from you and listen for the target sound to drop off then wiggle it a couple more inches back toward the target until the sound comes back and the target will be right at the tip of the coil. It's a good way to tell the size of the target too. If the target pinpoints in the exact same spot going forward and backward then it is a small object like a coin. Seeing is more helpful than my words :) here..
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4Rv_VrWjHUM

OP
OP
D

darktryad

Aug 19, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At pro is a very popular mid tier machine. Although if I were going to buy a VLF detector I think I would go with the Makro Racer 2. Just because it's one of the best single frequency detectors there is. It's at the higher end of VLF detectors though and a little more money. There are metal detector classified sites out there too where you can buy used and save some decent money, "Treasure related stuff" section on this forum is one of those classified sites, eBay is another, and a few more. As for pinpointing, not sure if you know the "wiggle" method but it can be a helpful technique. Here is a video showing how it's done. He's not using your detector but it still works the same. The method can be done by wiggling the coil over your target and slowly pulling the coil either toward you or away from you and listen for the target sound to drop off then wiggle it a couple more inches back toward the target until the sound comes back and the target will be right at the tip of the coil. It's a good way to tell the size of the target too. If the target pinpoints in the exact same spot going forward and backward then it is a small object like a coin. Seeing is more helpful than my words :) here..
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4Rv_VrWjHUM

That video is helpful, but it doesn't apply to the Garrett 150. His detector provides realtime feedback. The 150 just gives a single beep over the target. Might have to look into his model.

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fisher F22. It's more than you need to get you to the next level from the Garrett 150. But don't use if for a month or 2 and think you're ready for the next level again. Spend quality time (lots and lots) getting to know your machine. There is no substitute for time in the field and experience. It takes a long time to get the hang of serious detecting. Spend your money on a good pin pointer first. Not sure what you have, but a really good one will narrow the gap you described to zero fast. I have a White's TRX and it does just that. There are others like Garrett, etc. that do the same. HH.

Silver Saver

Mar 15, 2017
Center of North America
Detector(s) used
Etrac- Sunray x5, x8, x12. Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That video is helpful, but it doesn't apply to the Garrett 150. His detector provides realtime feedback. The 150 just gives a single beep over the target. Might have to look into his model.
You're right, sorry. That method applies to DD coils and I was thinking ace 150 had one, but it's a cocentric coil.

SteveJJ

May 18, 2015
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher F75 (for sale)
Fisher Gold Bug 2
White's TDI SL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just a beginner, but have a budget for my hobbies. I just bought a Fisher F75 for $559 on Amazon. That's rather like a high end machine at mid tier price, or so I hope. So far it's heads above in usability over my Tesoro Vaquero, since I'm losing my hearing... The display helps as does the multiple tones. The depth is surprising too! I don't know if it will fit your wants or needs, but two years ago it was about $1200 when I looked after seeing what a fellow was finding with his. Too far out of my means then. But now? Wooot!

13dolphins1

Gold Member
Jul 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm pretty new to this but I'm really digging my Ace 300.
I started with the 300....AT Pro is a nice step up. I would like to upgrade and I'm not feeling the Max as being a upgrade yet...or at least from the trial videos I've seen. Really would like the ctx 3030 but the fisher has spiked my curiosity a little

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
at pro is where I went from my ace series, I have since moved on but you should be able to pick up a at pro for cheap with the max coming out. If you stay in the hobbie you can move on later if you so desire. The pro is a big upgrade over the ace series.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd consider the Ace 400, has everything the 150 has and much more including pinpoint, numeric target ID and an iron audio button which really comes in handy trying to determine if a target is worth digging.
Not a depth monster, can expect about 6" or so on a quarter, but most coins are within that depth, and not everyone wants to dig deep holes anyhow.

I really think they should retire the 150 and make the 250 its low offering, which at least has a pinpoint function.

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can get an ATP on ebay for under $400 with some with extras . I sold one for $470 with an extra 5x8 coil a couple weeks ago .

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mr. Dark, how about a low cost unit that has mid level or better performance. My choice for that would be the Bounty Hunter Land Range Pro

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread