Realistic depth of T2 Classic

dsrtdwg1

Sep 3, 2015
Brawley
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Gold Monster 1000, Keene 212v Puffer Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I currently use a Gold Bug(19khz) base model non manual gb detector....I love ,it is great and I have had wonderful finds with it. I am realistic in saying that I do not find coins deeper than 4 1/2 inches. I am interested in the Teknetics T2 classic. OPINION TIME..all things being equal...soil, settings and such, could I expect much more depth with the T2 over my Bug ? Urban setting, old house sites, parks....NO PROSPECTING.

Upvote 0

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had a Tekietics G2 19 kHz same as your Gold Bug 19 kHz it lacked the depth i was used to.
I traded it in on an Omega 8000 that got better depth IMO.
I now have a T2 LTD2 13kHz and that is much deeper than the Gold Bug or the O8.
I think you will see a big difference in depth with the T2 i did .The gold Bug runs very smooth the T2 will be sparky in a good way .
Gary

Last edited:

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why are you not finding coins any deeper than 4-5"?? A Compadre will go deeper than that...unless ALL of your sites have never been hunted(and that's not happening) you MUST go deeper IF you want old(silver) coins,in most places.
Many factors go into finding deeper coins including machine,coil size,sweep speed,settings,operator...I'd imagine the Gold Bug would go deeper than 5".

Last edited:

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I see you are in the low desert in California...don't know what conditions are like there but the dirt you hunt in can make a huge difference on depth.
Using my F70 in great soil in Kansas and Missouri I could easily get to 10,12 even up to 14-15" consistently, here in my much rougher soil in Birmingham that same tool and most others struggle to get much past 5-6" in the bad stuff.
I worked hard to figure out a way to get past that up to the 8-9" area fairly accurately but I had to learn a new language and behavioral indicators to do it and even then super accurate ID's can still be problematic.

What kind of depth are other hunters/tools getting to where you live and hunt?

OP
OP
D

dsrtdwg1

Sep 3, 2015
Brawley
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Gold Monster 1000, Keene 212v Puffer Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all who took the time to answer. The whys of shallow depth are known to me...it's a gold bug and my soil is mostly alkali. GAP gave me what I was looking for and that is a like item comparison and result. I do find silver and some of it is at the edge of reliable detection so there is the assumption that there is more out of reach. Before I read any responses I went ahead and ordered a T2 Classic. The Gold Bug is not lacking it is just made for a different task, and I put it to use when out in the desert drywashing. Again thanks for responding.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why are you not finding coins any deeper than 4-5"?? A Compadre will go deeper than that...unless ALL of your sites have never been hunted(and that's not happening) you MUST go deeper IF you want old(silver) coins,in most places.
Many factors go into finding deeper coins including machine,coil size,sweep speed,settings,operator...I'd imagine the Gold Bug would go deeper than 5".

Operating frequency is the short answer. Higher freqs (17-71kHz) find SMALL targets (earring studs; sub-gram gold pickers; boot nails), that lower freqs will walk over. Lower freq machines (4-14kHz) find coin-size targets DEEPER than higher freqs. Coil size and type also figure into the equation, as does soil mineralization. :skullflag:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions