What metal detector search coil size to get?

zdanman

Aug 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

darktower007

Feb 21, 2017
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus/Vaquero/At Max/fisher f70/carrot pen pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Smaller the better. Look for a sniper coil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Which detector do you own? You really WANT to find nails, staples, and other small iron targets?? The smallest coil is usually best for tiny targets. They're also best for hunting next to large iron (like chain link, metal fence posts, shed, pipes, etc). If you have a large area to search, a big coil would save you lots of time. Some of the large coils are also very sensitive to small targets too if they're not very deep. The large coils don't work well next to large metal objects though.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are worried about surface fence staples and nails (and other ferric bits) have you considered a magnetic sweeper instead of a detector? Hang it in front of your tractor or mower to pick up the bits before they hit the tires or mower blades; or the cows eat them.

I searched out the survey markers (rebar) for my property and two neighbors with an 8" coil. Was small enough to get in among the brush here needed. Most were eyeballed but a couple were doozies to find (up near the road under roots and gravel from decades of plowing and such).

OP
OP
Z

zdanman

Aug 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are worried about surface fence staples and nails (and other ferric bits) have you considered a magnetic sweeper instead of a detector? Hang it in front of your tractor or mower to pick up the bits before they hit the tires or mower blades; or the cows eat them.

I searched out the survey markers (rebar) for my property and two neighbors with an 8" coil. Was small enough to get in among the brush here needed. Most were eyeballed but a couple were doozies to find (up near the road under roots and gravel from decades of plowing and such).

+1

i want a metal detector because it will detect aluminum whereas a sweeping magnetic would miss it.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nails, staples, and especially aluminum are EXTREMELY easy to find. An 8" or 5×7 coil will love this stuff. Should get the repar unless its really dry and deep.

OP
OP
Z

zdanman

Aug 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i ended up getting a garrett ace 250

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread