Best compact collapsible detector

Kid

Tenderfoot
Aug 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm looking for something that will fit into a backpack ideally. I travel very often for work and want something very compact. I fly pretty often and need something I can put in with my other work related tools and gear. It will be used primarily for coins but maybe beaches or anything. I've been detecting a lot over the years but haven't kept up with technology. Just curious what's out there and experiences. Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

Kid

Tenderfoot
Aug 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
XP Deus opinions?

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
XP Deus opinions?

If you can afford one go for it, my hunting buddy has a hard case for his that's a little bigger than a brief case, but I'd keep it well away from the water.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
K

Kid

Tenderfoot
Aug 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The mine lab go find 60 looks appealing due to its fold up design. Looks kinda cheap but I'd give it a try. It'd make a good one for my son to learn on. He's 3 though. The XP deus seems over complicated. I don't mind spending the extra money if it's worth it. I'm not very techy and usually a fan of keeping things simple. I guess I could learn though. Thanks for the input so far.

P-Digger

Mar 31, 2017
Bermuda
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detector pro underwater .simple beep and dig machine and if your going to use it on the beach it is waterproof.

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most detectors can break down a good deal for travel but it is a pain at times. Coils and main control units are the bulkiest parts and the shafts are the length issue to consider.

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have one but this is hard to beat for traveling.

index.jpg

namxat

Feb 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, you get what you pay for.

The Go-Pro is at first look very attractive, but detecing capabilities are according to people who used it below an ACE. Also a lot of trouble with mechanical issues. A foldable detector that does not fold back because dirt block the joints is just not the thing.

The XP is considerably more expensive but surely one of the top end machines available. It fits into a large backback but not into daypack. It is also very light: under one kilogram, which is important for air travel and backpacking. It is not complicated as long as you stick to the factory programs -> and those are already good of the rack.

The minelab CTX 3030 is according to many a notch better than the XP, but also offers bell&whistles I just dont need on an detector (GPS, wtf). You pay for it with an hold-you-breath price and it is an ergonomical nightmare (collapsible but even collapsed does not fit into a backpack; weight c 2.5 kg).

Your choice! I should add, if you fell like you are good at tinkering, the collapsible frame of the XX is sold separately and you could try to fit the detector of your choice on it.

Greets Namxat

Yes I have Deus, I like it. But no, no commercial interest.

OP
OP
K

Kid

Tenderfoot
Aug 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the help so far. I ordered the minelab go-find 60 just to use as a spare or whatever or for a new person that wants to go along. I have decided though after reading a lot on the XP deus. I will get one soon. Just not sure which variation. There are 4 variations of the model. I will be using the factory preset programs for a while since im new to this technology. I dont care about the interface with a smartphone, GPS, music and other bs that is on some or all models. They range from like $800 to $2000. I'd prefer something simple and effective without all the unnecessary bs. Should I get the basic one or will I be missing something? Thanks again and sorry for the length.

OP
OP
K

Kid

Tenderfoot
Aug 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Icewing...that case is pretty sexy. Thanks.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Get the Deus with the Remote and WS4 headphones so you can make two Deus' with that setup.
Save money by ordering from one of our advertising vendors.
Best of luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread