Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always been told not to rub the coins i find. Guess what, I have no self control! If its silver? Boom baby! It gets the Ammo touch.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
One incident comes to mind, back '83 or '84 I was setting up my detector at a ball field in Monroe, MI - an old fellow came up to me and said "Boy, you'll never find anything here, this place has been searched a thousand times". He walked away and I went about 3 feet and got a signal - a gold class ring....

Actually, I really didn't find anything else there that day, but that ring was all I needed to find to make me happy :)

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old school sites from the 1800s will have coins everywhere...

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When using a gold detector, dig everything!!! Shoot... It seems that I could only find lousy hot rocks, bubble gum wrappers, and a bunch of garbage... :(

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
when I was going to beach detect the first time, bigdealdave told me that I should go underwater and breathe normally. That soon I would adjust and be able to detect all day on the bottom. Never worked for me

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One incident comes to mind, back '83 or '84 I was setting up my detector at a ball field in Monroe, MI - an old fellow came up to me and said "Boy, you'll never find anything here, this place has been searched a thousand times". He walked away and I went about 3 feet and got a signal - a gold class ring....

Actually, I really didn't find anything else there that day, but that ring was all I needed to find to make me happy :)
Almost identical for me! Ole boy comes waddling up dragging his O2 bottle and tells me, "You won't find nuthin here! I've gridded this park a few times, got it all!". I pulled out of my pocket 11 silver coins & 7 wheats. As I replied "Maybe your O2 bottle was messin with your loop........." Turned my friend on to the park & as far as I know he's still pulling silver out of it when his knees allow.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunted out...what the heck does that mean ???

Many years ago was listening to Charles Garrett speaking & he said something that's been lodged in my head ever since, "It'd take a huge army of people with detectors years of searching and they still wouldn't find it all." My go to thought when the finds are kind of lean.

One_more_hole

Jul 17, 2017
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Equinox 800; Explorer II; Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me it's the "dig everything" method of hunting. I spent years as a youth in the 70's with my first metal detector ( Jetco 30 ) literally digging every signal because it was a single knob beep and dig machine...about as primitive as you could get. Today, I don't want to dig rusty nails and metal junk at deep levels. I have read that some veteran detectorists hunt in all metal mode to get the goodies. From my experience, most coins are located in the top soil ( sometimes at the deepest fringe ) but once you get down to the rocky stuff it's almost always square nails or other junk. I am sure some have mastered the tones enough to distinguish deep coins from iron. For me, if it's not somewhere in the top soil you can be 99% sure it's a false iron signal. The exception would be brass relics which I have dug. I could change my opinion, however, depending on future detector models.

Jacza

Apr 14, 2016
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Trade routes are productive" Never found something on or near an old trade route. Also never found something at water sites like lakes or streams except a lot of rubbish.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
"The beach is loaded with coins and jewelry"! Unless they're making jewelry out of pull tabs and coins out of bottle caps I'm beginning to wonder?..

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dig everything, not going to happen in certain places. I would be reseeding the sports field!

There is so much junk there its hard to find a spot the size of my coil to ground balance.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are times when one has to hold the coil about 12" from the ground and balance your detector... And swing high and slow... Not low and slow... hahaha

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fun thread mz. My husband often chides me for how dang long I take in a certain areas,but I often find more of a variety of relics because I go slowly and don't cover much ground. You often miss a lot that way by going too fast. I also zigzag around like a bumblebee here there and everywhere and find pockets of stuff that Mr. Grid It Off In Your Head doesn't. So I guess the wisdom is to cover a yard or field throughly, that can't always be the case with time constraints.

Last edited:

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
"Keep your head down when crawling around and under tot lot equipment"

I am a slow learner...now I have a bumpy marked up head.

OP
OP
Mzjavert

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Keep your head down when crawling around and under tot lot equipment"

I am a slow learner...now I have a bumpy marked up head.

I deny ever having a bumpity marked up head.
OUCH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions