Garrett Ace 300 Sensitivity. Depth.

NuffaloBickel

Aug 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm finding that my Ace 300 seems the happiest (most stable) around 4 or 5 bars for sensitivity. Is this typical? I'm losing depth knocking it down that low, right? If I run it at the default at 6 bars I get a lot of iron grunts. Pretty much everywhere I swing. I'm digging on an old property and I know those old coins are down there deep somewhere, beneath the trash. Those beautiful little treasures are there. I know it.

Frequency? Is this a setting I should maybe be toying with? I just thought of this as I was typing.

I'm really trying to learn my machine's language. For that reason I'm running in zero-discrimination, and just listening to everything. I'm using the supplied Garrett headphones which get the job done. I am however planning on grabbing some better muffs as my next investment.

Now keep in mind two things, I'm hunting pretty trashy areas with a decent amount of hot rocks and I'm only about a month or so into really detecting.

I really love doing this pretty much every free second I can. I've been finding a lot of nails, some clad and a BBQ pit's worth of foil. I did find my first silver 1960 Canadian dime), ring (what I assumed to be a cheapie, kids lost it) and button (two piece with cloth front). Nothing below maybe six inches. Should I just grid the yard and quite literally dig every signal? I dig pretty much everything as it is but I just do t know what to do in those patches where the detector grunts every three inches.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Silverdrake

Greenie
Aug 7, 2017
Mo
Detector(s) used
Garret
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am using the same machine and am detecting a field with minimal trash. I set the sensitivity high, to find those deep targets, but get A LOT of signals that don't repeat. I'm also a newbie and am getting frustrated searching after false signals. Perhaps i need to tone down the sensitivity.

OP
OP
N

NuffaloBickel

Aug 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, it really seems like a great machine. I'm just yet to pull anything deep or really old (a battered '53 Canadian penny was the oldest) I'm still really new and have a lot to learn.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions