Insane coincidences of metal detecting

foiled_again

Jan 29, 2013
DFW area, TX
Detector(s) used
CZ7a, Compadre (wader mod), Land Ranger Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here are three, two of mine and one I heard about...

--House hunting, I found an aluminum10-cent Palmolive Peet soap company token that I date to 1927 (Palmolive merged with Peet in 1926 and then Palmolive Peet merged with Colgate in 1928). Several weeks later I found another one of the exact same token (Chicago variety) in another yard across town...both places owned by the same man.

--The first class ring I ever found was in California, and I was able to return it to the owner, Antoinette Moreno. Today, in Texas, I found my third class ring (the second one was un-returnable, no name on it) and have already located the owner...Michael Moreno.

--I was working a beach in California some years ago and met a guy who was detecting in the water with an Excalibur. He mentioned that he had recently found a Tag Heuer watch in the surf. I met up with him a couple of years later and he told me that a year after finding the watch, he was working the beach again, and someone came up to him and was telling a story of have lost a Tag Heuer watch the year before...telling this to the very guy who had found it.

Crazy!

Upvote 0

CJayC

Jan 14, 2017
Auburn, WA
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Couple questions:

1 - Were the two Morenos related at all?

and 2 - Did your friend tell the guy he found the watch and was he able to give it back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
if you look at coincidence, you realize that it is just a mathematical equation based on probability HOWEVER, some believe this is a programmed reality and that coincidence, is a programming error. Anyway you look at it, it is wild.

OP
OP
foiled_again

foiled_again

Jan 29, 2013
DFW area, TX
Detector(s) used
CZ7a, Compadre (wader mod), Land Ranger Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1--I'll find out when I make contact but the odds are vanishingly small. Now that I think of it, the two Morenos might be about the same age now since the first one happened over 20 years ago but was a fresh drop at the time, and yesterday's ring is Class of '95.

2--Yes, I believe he did.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In figuring odds and coincidences there are THREE types of people.
Those that can count and those that can't.:icon_scratch::laughing7:
Marvin

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now if you could just get that to work in your favor playing the lottery.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
A few years ago in an old park I dug up a large coin and I was beyond thrilled.
A 1922 Peace dollar, it was a weird color and all scarred up but I didn't care.
When I flipped it over I saw the same image and the word COPY.
WTH???!!!
A two headed Two Face coin sold as a souvenir after the Dark Knight Batman movie came out.

What a let down, a cool find in itself and I have never read another post since about any other hunter finding one but still a heartbreaker.

A few years later after moving to another state I went after a big strange signal in the dirt and found another Peace dollar but this one was real...and the same year.
My heart was finally healed.

I might not ever find another silver dollar in my life but at least this one comes with a great story, and coincidence, attached.

Attachments

• photostudio_1504347881730.jpg
    photostudio_1504347881730.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 101
  • photostudio_1504347986349.jpg
    photostudio_1504347986349.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 97
  • photostudio_1504348389146.jpg
    photostudio_1504348389146.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 97
  • photostudio_1504348456171.jpg
    photostudio_1504348456171.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Twenty five years ago I was fishing off the pier in Seal Beach, CA and dropped my silver dollar over the side by accident. I knew I shouldn't be flipping it in my hand and got careless and over the side of the pier it went. Needless to say I was heartbroken as the coin was a gift from my Dad.
Fast forward twenty some years later and I was working in my uncle's fish market and while cutting open a fish I struck something hard! It was my thumb! I cut it off!:laughing7:
:tongue3:

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Twenty five years ago I was fishing off the pier in Seal Beach, CA and dropped my silver dollar over the side by accident. I knew I shouldn't be flipping it in my hand and got careless and over the side of the pier it went. Needless to say I was heartbroken as the coin was a gift from my Dad.
Fast forward twenty some years later and I was working in my uncle's fish market and while cutting open a fish I struck something hard! It was my thumb! I cut it off!:laughing7:
:tongue3:

That sucks...i guess you can never be movie critic. You need two thumbs for that.:thumbsup:

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
A few years ago in an old park I dug up a large coin and I was beyond thrilled.
A 1922 Peace dollar, it was a weird color and all scarred up but I didn't care.
When I flipped it over I saw the same image and the word COPY.
WTH???!!!
A two headed Two Face coin sold as a souvenir after the Dark Knight Batman movie came out.

What a let down, a cool find in itself and I have never read another post since about any other hunter finding one but still a heartbreaker.

A few years later after moving to another state I went after a big strange signal in the dirt and found another Peace dollar but this one was real...and the same year.
My heart was finally healed.

I might not ever find another silver dollar in my life but at least this one comes with a great story, and coincidence, attached.

You wouldn't happen to have a variety channel would you ;) ? Anyway, that copy coin is from a character from Batman called two face. But I think you knew that already.

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About 35 years ago me and a friend were detecting a circa 1880's local park, we were young guys and not a lot of experience. We would detect until our batteries went dead then pool all our change together and buy more batteries LOL!
I believe I was using an old Whites unit and digging with a heavy duty butter knife that I picked up somewhere along the way. The knife was stamped Royal US so for some reason I thought it was something from the Government like the Army or Navy.
It was getting dark and I had a target I could not find so I gave up.
When I got home I realized I had lost my digging knife. I ended up getting a new digger and it was forgotten.
Fast forward a couple years ago and I am detecting the same park. Get a banging signal and you can guess what I found MY OLD DIGGING KNIFE! Stamped Royal US!
The coolest thing is that it brought back a lot of memories, my digging partner had just passed away a year or so before this and it made me smile thinking that somehow he was watching all this and laughing his ass off!
I still have this old butter knife and really cherish the memories that it holds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread