New guy! little assistance please

Sick4gold

Jun 11, 2013
Indiana/Ohio
Detector(s) used
Proline!!!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So typical new guy stuff I imagine that's been asked 1000 times but with a search I didn't find most of my specific questions...Been around a while but mostly focused on dredging and sluicing and posting in the gold sections. Anyways new to metal detecting and have some questions and I know if this section is anything like the gold prospecting section there is some very helpful and brilliant people here, so let me say thank you for your time and patience with a MD newb ahead of time.

Its my experience that buying a piece of treasure hunting equipment is normally, you get what you pay for. To be blunt my budget for a detector is 1000$. Although I will be brand new to the metal detecting arena I suspect buying a mid level detector is a good place to start IF I have the budget for it as it wont be a piece of junk but also shouldn't need to upgrade any time soon. So here is a list of EXACTLY what I will be doing and hopefully some kind soul can steer me into the correct direction...

Budget-1000

Detecting for: Mostly relics and coins but occasionally I want to be able to use it for gold prospecting. In my area the gold is TINY but there is an occasional nugget. Also I take annual trips to south Carolina and do a little prospecting there too but the majority of the time I'm here in Ohio where gold is usually the size of a grain of rice. I was looking at all around detectors but I know that gold detector and regular detectors are 2 separate items. I was thinking ( hoping ) that if I get a decent gold detector that it will do a good job at most my other needs as well.

The ground: Mostly thick clay laden but also a lot of areas with cobble and ground moraine. I would hopefully be using this detector all over gods creation.

Thing im looking for specifically:
Needs ability to find small gold- very occasionally, it will not be its main purpose
Needs to be waterproof to 3 feet
Needs to be versatile
weight is not too much a concern as I am young and strong ( for now )

Ive been researching and reading for days but I could probably read for the next 5 years and compare models and be in the same spot I am now. I was interested in the Garrett 2500 GTI but am concerned I am paying mostly for a fancy display and possibly losing some capability. I am not a fan of the analog detectors or detectors without any screen at all ( im sure they are good but don't appear newby friendly )

I am looking for advice on which models to consider based on MY needs and any advice your willing to offer as maybe im missing the mark all the way around? please school me and I can answer any further questions to help me get my mind/decision where it needs to be.
Thanks again!

Upvote 0

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since you want to look for gold you should get a detector that runs 19khz or higher. Check out the Fisher F19, and the Gold Bug Pro . The Minelab 705 dual pack would be another good option as well as the Teknetics G2 IMHO. The XP deus is over your budget, but another option since it can run in 4 frequencies.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... Detecting for: Mostly relics and coins but occasionally I want to be able to use it for gold prospecting. ....

There are machines designed to be cross-over purpose. So that with the flips of a few switches you could be coin or relic hunting one day, but then another day shoot for nuggets (which are rarely ever over pinhead size in nature). THE mxt is one that comes to mind for instance. But just be aware that any machine that tries to accomplish BOTH venues, is going to have compromises. Eg. there will be MUCH better coin/relic machines, and there will be MUCH better nugget machines.

The reason for this is that the goals of each venue are opposed. Eg.: the coin/relic guy DOESN'T want the "bells of notre dame to ring" off every staple, speck, nail, pinhead, etc.... But the nugget guy does. And thus since machines are designed from the bottom-up for their purpose, then to make a machine that goes back and forth, means you will have compromises.

So I would suggest one for each, if you really want to get serious. But if you're just going to dink around @ spots prolific with targets (lacking competition), then sure: There are cross-over machines.

OP
OP
S

Sick4gold

Jun 11, 2013
Indiana/Ohio
Detector(s) used
Proline!!!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I do understand a dual purpose machine will have compromises but im far from a professional and don't really plan to buy 2 machines as gold dredging is my true calling but during the colder months and when im too tires to pull the dredge out then metal detecting will quench my appetite for treasure hunting.
Thanks for the suggestions, I hadn't looked at the Minelab 705 yet, it looks like a really nice machine.
As a follow up question is there any benefit to purchasing a Garrett AT Gold and buying a separate larger DD coil as opposed to using like a minelab and using it for both?

Buddy_TX

Greenie
May 25, 2017
North Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
CZ 21
AT Pro
AT MAX
Whites TR Amphibian
Tesoro Stringray
Detector Pro Wader
Detector Pro Priate
Tesoro Silver Saber
Garret S1, S2, S3 (TR machines )
Fisher 1280x
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I would look real hard at the AT MAX. has better depth than the gold is waterproof to 3 meters will find gold, coins and relics is in the 750 price range with a multitude of coils available for it.

Buddy_TX

OP
OP
S

Sick4gold

Jun 11, 2013
Indiana/Ohio
Detector(s) used
Proline!!!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would look real hard at the AT MAX. has better depth than the gold is waterproof to 3 meters will find gold, coins and relics is in the 750 price range with a multitude of coils available for it.

Buddy_TX

I was under the impression that the AT MAX would be the least likely choice for a general detector that also prospects once in a while since it runs at a lower frequency than both the AT Pro and the At Gold...again asking

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do understand a dual purpose machine will have compromises but im far from a professional and don't really plan to buy 2 machines as gold dredging is my true calling but during the colder months and when im too tires to pull the dredge out then metal detecting will quench my appetite for treasure hunting.
Thanks for the suggestions, I hadn't looked at the Minelab 705 yet, it looks like a really nice machine.
As a follow up question is there any benefit to purchasing a Garrett AT Gold and buying a separate larger DD coil as opposed to using like a minelab and using it for both?

"Multi-Purpose" metal detectors is like saying your "putter," can also be used as a "sand wedge," and "driver!" Where you want to detect for gold, you'll need a dedicated, high-frequency, gold hunter. You'll be looking for crumbs, sub-gram pieces with - MAYBE, an occasional nugget - if you are Very Lucky. These machines are NOT good coin and jewelry hunters.

Take Your Time! Don't let your enthusiasm and want to get started override your brain or budget. There is NO rush! Talk to the Sponsor Dealers here on the forum, and Good Luck! :skullflag:

OP
OP
S

Sick4gold

Jun 11, 2013
Indiana/Ohio
Detector(s) used
Proline!!!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
"Multi-Purpose" metal detectors is like saying your "putter," can also be used as a "sand wedge," and "driver!" Where you want to detect for gold, you'll need a dedicated, high-frequency, gold hunter. You'll be looking for crumbs, sub-gram pieces with - MAYBE, an occasional nugget - if you are Very Lucky. These machines are NOT good coin and jewelry hunters.

Take Your Time! Don't let your enthusiasm and want to get started override your brain or budget. There is NO rush! Talk to the Sponsor Dealers here on the forum, and Good Luck! :skullflag:

duely noted. I appreciate the time to respond. The way detectors are marketed makes some of them seem universal. I've read quite a bit about different detectors and as far as I can tell the main difference in relic/coin and gold detectors is frequency and trash separation?????
I know most detectors use single frequency but units like the Minelab 750 dual advertise swapping coils will give you the ability to detect with low frequency for general detecting and high frequency more geared towards prospecting. I also believe there's a detector that broadcasts in 28 frequencies at once which seems like you'd be very busy digging trash all day but that's speculation....I'm hoping someone can elaborate more as from reading about detectors they seem to state
That by swapping coils and modes you can change what your hunting for??
I assume nearly all detectors CAN find gold if your good enough and lucky enough? The more I read the more confused I get but I'm trying to do my due diligence and get the right machine for my needs...my apologies if the questions are basic

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Sure. The ML 705 is one-such example of a cross-over machine. I can't comment on its ability as a nugget machine, since I'm not into nuggets. But for for coins, it's a way-distant 2nd . And for wet-salt beach (it has a "beach" mode after-all), it's got 1/2 the depth of other discriminating beach machines. Ie.: a p*ss-p**r beach hunter.

Will it work for coins on land ? Yes. Will it work for the wet-salt beach ? yes. Will it work for nuggets ? yes. But in each venue I'll bet you are handicapped by 30% or better. If, as you say, you don't plan to be too serious, then it would work. To just goof off in places with easy gimmees, sure.

OP
OP
S

Sick4gold

Jun 11, 2013
Indiana/Ohio
Detector(s) used
Proline!!!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So heres why Im confused...
??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
What makes a cross over machine less superior? For example I have read that beginner detectors with the least depth are usually beat frequency while the more expensive detectors are pulse induction. The 705 as an example is a pulse induction. By using comparison charts the dual purpose machines look extremely capable and on paper are better than the Garrett AT line according to frequency theory...
From my reading I know that Gold machines are normally higher frequency and general coin machines are lower frequency. Lower frequencies have a better penetrating depth and higher frequencies lose depth but become more sensitive to smaller objects. Using a cross over that utilizes separate coils and thus changing frequencies should give the best of both worlds no? In contrast to what most people say it would seem by reading that gold machines or cross-overs would be the better choice for relics and buttons due to the small size of the items.
Everybody keeps telling me to do my research and don't jump into a detector but the more I read the more confused I get as most advice conflicts the research.
It seems that if I say im thinking of buying a Minelab 705 then everybody will say its a fine machine from a good company, however if I say im buying a 705 and 2 different frequency coils to use for relics AND gold then everybody disagrees with the logic. IF its a good machine from a good company then it has to be good but at what point does it become less effective and why? It doesn't seem to make sense.. PLZ ADVISE
Plz help me guys, help me understand. I am trying. Thanks

Last edited:

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For a $1,000 you can get one of the dedicated gold machines mentioned and a machine for coinshooting/relic hunting. Machines like the Garrett Ace series, Fisher f22, or Whites Coinmaster are all detectors to consider.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So heres why Im confused...
??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
What makes a cross over machine less superior? For example I have read that beginner detectors with the least depth are usually beat frequency while the more expensive detectors are pulse induction. The 705 as an example is a pulse induction. By using comparison charts the dual purpose machines look extremely capable and on paper are better than the Garrett AT line according to frequency theory...
From my reading I know that Gold machines are normally higher frequency and general coin machines are lower frequency. Lower frequencies have a better penetrating depth and higher frequencies lose depth but become more sensitive to smaller objects. Using a cross over that utilizes separate coils and thus changing frequencies should give the best of both worlds no? In contrast to what most people say it would seem by reading that gold machines or cross-overs would be the better choice for relics and buttons due to the small size of the items.
Everybody keeps telling me to do my research and don't jump into a detector but the more I read the more confused I get as most advice conflicts the research.
It seems that if I say im thinking of buying a Minelab 705 then everybody will say its a fine machine from a good company, however if I say im buying a 705 and 2 different frequency coils to use for relics AND gold then everybody disagrees with the logic. IF its a good machine from a good company then it has to be good but at what point does it become less effective and why? It doesn't seem to make sense.. PLZ ADVISE
Plz help me guys, help me understand. I am trying. Thanks

The Minelab X-Terra 705 is a Single Frequency, "VLF" (Very Low Frequency) metal detector. It has the ability to shift its frequency, by changing coils. A "Pulse Induction" metal detector does NOT use sine (radio) waves. It sends out electrical pulses 600-800 times per second, and reads the decay rate of the pulse. PI detectors DO NOT DISCRIMINATE.

Where you live, you don't need a RAW GOLD metal detector, because detectable gold nuggets and pickers don't occur in Ohio and Indiana. Most folks dredge or pan there. The X-Terra 705 is a good machine. Coils are used for different jobs and soils. There are "Concentric" and "Double D" coils. Concentric coils are deepest, but struggle in iron-rich soils. Double D, or "DD" coils work better in high-mineral soils. Small coils, sometimes called "Joey" coils, work really well in trash filled areas, because the separate good targets from bad better. They sacrifice depth, for separation. Large coils are deeper, but sacrifice tiny objects and target separation.

In your area, you would need a Fisher Goldbug II (71kHz), to have any hope of finding the sub-gram gold available to you. I would suggest the Tesoro Outlaw with its Three Coil package as a good machine to start with. The Outlaw will find Coins, Jewelry, and Relics. :skullflag:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... What makes a cross over machine less superior?....

This was answered for you in post #3. Let me give you an analogy/example: Someone says they wonder why a vehicle capable of 0 to 100 in XX seconds can't also be the choice vehicles to take the kids to soccer practice in. Eg.: a Corvette vs a mini-van. What is there to be "confused" about ? Is it any surprise that some vehicles get better gas mileage ? Others are better at doing 175 mph? Others seat 6 comfortably ? Why can't there be 1 that does all equally ?

Hence JUST LIKE THE AUTOMOBILE ANALOGY: Metal detector too (their coil designs, their filters, etc....) are desigined from the top-down to perform certain functions. Thus a coil made to "accept/find pinhead objects", versus a coil made to "excel at rejecting pinhead objects", might not have the same "innards". Trust me: When you're working a stage stop or ghost town , looking for coins/relics, you DON'T want "pinheads". Same as the vehicle example.

OP
OP
S

Sick4gold

Jun 11, 2013
Indiana/Ohio
Detector(s) used
Proline!!!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you guys.
After careful consideration, research and most importantly listening to the people that have been doing this a while and willing to offer advice/experience; I have decided to buy 2 detectors.
I placed an order for an AT Pro and should be here in a few days. I'm going to use it as a general detector and try and get proficient at it a while. I'll purchase a separate gold machine a little bit down the road.
Thx guys for showing a newb the road and hopefully share some great scores as time goes on.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
... Thx guys for showing a newb the road and hopefully share some great scores as time goes on.

You're welcome. Don't forget to send me my 30% per for the forum rules (I accept paypal). Now get busy and find some gold coins ! :)

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you guys.
After careful consideration, research and most importantly listening to the people that have been doing this a while and willing to offer advice/experience; I have decided to buy 2 detectors.
I placed an order for an AT Pro and should be here in a few days. I'm going to use it as a general detector and try and get proficient at it a while. I'll purchase a separate gold machine a little bit down the road.
Thx guys for showing a newb the road and hopefully share some great scores as time goes on.

Good decision and choice. Add a Gold Bug to the AT Pro and you should have your bases covered for your types of detecting.

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the MXT Pro would fit you usage requirements just fine.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the MXT Pro would fit you usage requirements just fine.

Except that it isn't waterproof and it won't find tiny gold nuggets......

detectorben

Feb 19, 2017
Nebraska
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great choice on at pro! I think buying 2 machines was a wise choice. If you are like me you will get addicted and end up with 3 or 4 machines in your arsenal.[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread