I'm just interested to know

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
The very first hole I ever dug had a screw top with a large piece of glass stuck in it.
Luckily that first hole was huge.
After rooting around with my digger and hand looking for that first target before I piled the dirt back in the hole I saw this thing sticking right out of the edge of one side.
That was close, I could have needed a trip the the emergency room on my very first dig.
I immediately drove to Home Depot and bought a pair of gloves and have worn them ever since.

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II (retired), Minelab X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I actually use disposable nitrile exam gloves, I buy a pack of 100 and I'm good for the year. They're thin so that I can feel around the hole, always slow and careful of glass though, but I need them to help with all the poison ivy everywhere I go in the woods. Also keeps mosquitos off my knuckles, which they love, as well as dirt from working under my nails, which just stings after a while. They do get torn up after a while, so I always bring an extra pair.

Eleven Cents

Nov 30, 2016
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always find a way to cut myself if I don't wear gloves. Or I get a nice signal in an ant hill and I end up getting all bitten up for a clad dime.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I asked this question since when I watch videos they are never wearing gloves, but now that I think about it they probably can't wear gloves since they're doing camera work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No gloves unless it's so cold you can't stand it without them. My hands are like leather though from work.

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
No Gloves Here. I 'try' and make my plug a little bigger, then I go through the dirt with a 6"x 1/2" red plastic scraper that's shaped like a ruler and of course my pin pointer. I scrape across the grass and ground with it first to make sure there is nothing sharp. I Rarely MD in areas that have a lot of known drug use by needles. If I did I'd be wearing one Kevlar glove and one surgeons glove. I know needles could be anywhere. Like the posters said that it was hard to feel what's in a hole or grass with gloves, I feel the same way.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No gloves. I don't mind getting dirt under my nails. Never got a cut from nails and glass.

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Definitely gloves.

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I carry gloves but typically do not use them. I prefer to have the tactile feel which has helped me immensely hone my craft. I do always have a current tetanus shot......don't be stupid. If you are going to metal detect, you better get comfortable with the dirt.

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always have them with me but rarely wear them. Depends on the conditions I am digging in I guess.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also wear gloves I don't like dirt on my hands but I was very curious how many didn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In reality , i'd prefer no gloves , but I did Drywall Work so long I hate the Dry my hands get in the dirt, it's like fingers on a chalkboard.

I prefer to wear heavy duty rubber gloves that come in a pack at harbor freight , I still get good feel of touch with them & I can store my Minnie / Coins & other finds in them , 'In the extra or ripped ones. Most times ill wear one of this type & then one thicker type over that cause I dig with my hand mostly when close to a target , I hate to nick what i'm digging.

So usually after a few outings the Bird & Index finger will be worn through. Otherwise the glove is still good , lets say I have more left hand gloves than I do Right hand ones. lol

The rubber ones are better for short yard, park hunts , but their being 'Black' the Suck in the Sun "I can raise my hands above my head & sweat will run down my arms.
Guess in the Winter the 'Heat attraction ' is a Good thing.

The types posted by LOCO are great to work with , & getting the right size is very important.
My 11 cent, on this.

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wear gloves for the same reasons plumbers don't lick their tools.........you never know what sort of "crap" you will be digging in.

Besides that I am usually out for hours and hours on end, so when I stop to eat something out of my backpack I'm not tasting the dirt too.

To each their own I guess.

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Usually, glove not gloves.
I tend to dig with my right hand and scoop with the left, so the left gets protected right doesn't need it unless its cold.

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, gloves. For all the reasons listed. The ones blade runner posted look pretty great, may try those next.

Ive been using these and they've have been a good sense of touch and protection. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01AORIB9A/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I hunt a lot of parks. Our parks attract a lot of geese. Geese leave a lot of poo.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions