Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've researched some abandoned houses in the woods in my town. On Historical Aerial Maps and it only goes back to 1935. So I when I went looking for it, it wasn't as easy as I thought. I did see some 200 year old Oak trees in the area, but I'm trying to pinpoint exactly where the house would be, GPS? Now I don't know how to map overlay. So is there any trick to estimate the distance from the street to the house?

Upvote 0

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If you can find the area on google earth, it will allow you to measure from point to point

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Historic aerials website allows you to slide a 1935 map over a modern map. Give it a try.

verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Bounty Hunter Platinum (back up)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
historic aerials allows you to "measure distance" on the left side at the bottom. Pull up the 1935 image, find the house on the image, click "Create new measurement". Move your cursor over to the house pick a very precise point, like one of the corners and then click to drop the little green circle. Look to the left and you will see that is now says " Last point and it gives you some coordinates. Highlight the coordinates that are in a line: 47.766316 / -91.186661 Remove the / and put a , like this:
47.766316, -91.186661 Copy and paste into Google Maps and then send it to your phone or save it as a favorite place. Navigate your way to the exact spot that you plot on Historic Aerials.

I should ask if you are using a computer? It's WAY easier on a computer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
historic aerials allows you to "measure distance" on the left side at the bottom. Pull up the 1935 image, find the house on the map, click "Create new measurement". Move your cursor over to the house pick a very precise point, like one of the corners and then click to drop the little green circle. Look to the left and you will see that is now says " Last point and it gives you some coordinates. Highlight the coordinates that are in a line: 47.766316 / -91.186661 Remove the / and put a , like this:
47.766316, -91.186661 Copy and paste this into Google Maps and then send it to your phone or save it as a favorite place. Navigate your way to the exact spot that you plot on Historic Aerials.

Pure genius! Thanks verbious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No problem!!! I hope the technique works for you. I spent a good bit of time with maps and images in the Army. Who knew it would come in so handy for metal detecting? I've found that plotting 4 corners of a building works really well for getting an estimate of the shape. You can also measure the length and width of a structure then plot it center mass and make notes about the measurements. Once you get boots on the ground you can get the overlay the aerial image in your mind with the actual terrain and make small adjustments. I have dozens of points that I've found on historic aerials and have land navigated my way to.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No problem!!! I hope the technique works for you. I spent a good bit of time with maps and images in the Army. Who knew it would come in so handy for metal detecting? I've found that plotting 4 corners of a building works really well for getting an estimate of the shape. You can also measure the length and width of a structure then plot it center mass and make notes about the measurements. Once you get boots on the ground you can get the overlay the aerial image in your mind with the actual terrain and make small adjustments. I have dozens of points that I've found on historic aerials and have land navigated my way to.

I wish my Parish maps went back to the 1800's

verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've managed to find some online maps of the areas that I've detected from 1851. They are probably the very best resource out there! Is there a historical society in your area? What about the county courthouse?

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Historic aerials has a feature that allows you to slide the old and new maps over each other....it is called overlay or slide....something like that.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've managed to find some online maps of the areas that I've detected from 1851. They are probably the very best resource out there! Is there a historical society in your area? What about the county courthouse?

They have a courthouse. The library didn't have plat maps. What do I ask for at the courthouse? What dept? Where did you get the online?

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Historic aerials has a feature that allows you to slide the old and new maps over each other....it is called overlay or slide....something like that.

Yeah I do that villagenut. I just wish it went back pasted 1935.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't know if it'll work for u, Truth, but here in Illinois, I use historicmapworks. I look up townships...not sure if parishes r in there. The township maps allow me to do an overlay with current satellite images n I can adjust the opacity to get a better image. And I can get township maps as far back as 1872. Good luck, tho! 😁

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using TreasureNet.com mobile app

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't know if it'll work for u, Truth, but here in Illinois, I use historicmapworks. I look up townships...not sure if parishes r in there. The township maps allow me to do an overlay with current satellite images n I can adjust the opacity to get a better image. And I can get township maps as far back as 1872. Good luck, tho! [emoji16]

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using TreasureNet.com mobile app

Thanks Ogre I'll check it out. I'll let you know buddy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread