Old guy trying to convert from analog to digital detectors

chuckinnc

Aug 20, 2009
western,nc
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I grew up with old analog detectors in 70s and early 80s, then quit till now (retired) back then detectors were no motion, analog meter and sound increased or decreased with target and dept. Now I have tried new digital detector and just can't figure it out what I am hearing and seeing on the screen. Surely some older detector people have had to made the conversion and may have a few tips.

Upvote 0

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Not such a big deal, really.
I hunt with both, Tesoros that are analog and Fishers which are digital.
An advantage to doing it this way I believe, a few things I have learned using one brand have transferred over to the other which has made me much better using both kinds.
Plus I have always said learning to hunt with audio only can only make you a better hunter using screen units.

The Fishers are digital but there is still an audio component and, depending on the settings you use, much information can still be obtained on depth, target type and more just by listening to that audio.
Modulation and slightly different inflections and clues over target types is still there on most digital detectors...if you listen long enough.
Many that use screen units, digital screen units, understand the audio is just as important as the screen information...for some it is everything, the most important feature of all.
It just takes a little time and effort to learn to recognize and understand the audio clues along with the screen info.
I use both when I use my Fishers and glad I have both at my disposal.

Last edited:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Let us know what digital machine you are using too.

How about a test garden in the yard? Known buried targets that could familiarize you with the sounds and numbers. When I switched machines, I went to the school and park and just dug every repeatable target until I figured it out.

If you ever get near Charlotte, I am more than delighted to put on "Digital Machine 101" for you.

Best of luck brother!

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't worry, an old digger like you should do just fine...!
Like Digger27 said, the sounds/tones of the machines are great clues
to what awaits your digging tool.
With my anolog Tesoro Cibola, I can spot those coins right off, don't even have to
turn the Disc. knob to find out whats there.... But, of course, I've had 10+years
experience with the machine, too...!
Try guessing first, then dig it...dig every target to get a feel of what your
machine is trying to tell you.
Air testing first, might help.
Success is the only option...! :icon_thumright:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I came from the analog days, still have my Fisher 1260X which was a major step from my Garrett ADS3. I stopped using the Garrett after the 1260X. And the Fisher was (and still is - sitting in the corner of my room) a very capable machine. I dug silver dimes at 10" in NW Ohio.

When I returned to the hobby, purchased an Ace250 first, but figured it would be better than my Fisher = NOPE! Gave it to my cousin. So then I went in heat and jumped on an Etrac. Danged thing drove me crazy, I was trying to learn too many things at once, and it was horrid on my elbow = nose heavy.

So, then I bought the CTX, much better ergonomics. With that I didn't even try to learn the gizmo, just booted it up to the stock screen and listened to the sounds = no confusion involved. The 1260X still works just fine, but the CTX is considerably deeper in my experience. As time passed I've learned a great deal more of the machine's "science", Andy's Boot Camp helped. But I could have used the CTX on the stock screen for the rest of my days just listening to the sounds.

I'd say that digital is better than analog for the simple reason of the programming = more capable in all ground conditions.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I answered in your duplicate post. Can the mods move it to here?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It takes a while. My 'ol Minelab Musketeer was analog and had a language that could be learned. "Chirp" meant foil, clicks were bent or folded (usually can slaw), and nice round vowels were usually coins.

Now, with the Fisher, I have learned other methods. One thing I now rely on is lifting over a target while sweeping. Good stuff fades out slowly while junk usually stops abruptly. I also watch the Confidence and Fe3O4 (Magnetite) scales for additional information. Watching the numeric read-out is also key. If it hos around or changes while lifting and sweeping at different heights it is likely NOT a coin.

The Fisher has the audio and visual on separate circuits. This is handy as well. With the F-75 a faster sweep seems to give better results (opposite of the analog), but by watching and listening you can sometimes tell coins beside or below junk . . . especially by sweeping from various directions and speeds over a target once you get a hit. Do both the audio and visual stay solid?

Bottom line - the Fisher wins hands down once I got used to it. All-metal there isn't much difference (except weight!) But running with an iron mask and in trashy areas - no comparison. I dig POUNDS less aluminum junk. The Musketeer LOVED aluminum.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I gave you some advice on your other thread, do what I said and see if it helps.
I know this machine like the back of my hand and you should be having an easier time with it than you are.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions