Screwdrivers Only, No Digging!

zlathim

Mar 8, 2007
Boise, ID
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I am looking for any comments or advice you can give a newby detectorist/coin popper. I have had an ACE 250 for a few months now. I have had it out a dozen or so times, usually to parks or schools. I am starting to get the hang of how it works, i.e. the ding ding of a for sure coin hit, steady indication on visual display are always gonna get dug. I do dig the pulltab range which is aggravating to say the least, but I would really like to find a nice silver or even God willing a gold ring. I have only found the usual clad and trinkets so far, but I’m not as concerned about what I’m finding as I am about my method of retrieval. Schools and parks in boise don’t allow digging, but they do allow the use of screwdrivers for probing and popping out coins

I have been attempting the screwdriver method with varied and sometimes limited success. I don’t have a pinpointer and have no plans of getting one soon. I usually pinpoint with the Ace until I narrow down the area to a couple of inches or so, sometimes better, then start probing with the screwdriver vertically, stabbing a hole every ¾ of an inch or so trying to feel the coin. If I hit the coin with the probe all is good, but sometimes I just can’t find the coin that way. I then usually just wallow out a hole and start digging around with my fingers/the probe etc. This is what I was talking about when I mentioned limited success aspect. Sometimes I just can’t find the dang coin and end up giving up, especially if it reads as being 4+ inches deep on the detector. The deeper ones especially are frustrating and usually fruitless. Should I accept that as a result of not getting a pinpointer? Any advice or comments on how to find stuff without a big hole or a pinpointer would be appreciated greatly.

Upvote 0

Me

Aug 13, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre
As for screwdrivers, I personally gave up on them a long time ago. They also make a "Coin Popper" which is basically a glorified screwdriver.

The trouble with all screwdriver type tools is they to one degree or another scratch the item being dug. Coins scratch soooooooo easy it's almost unbelievable.

In fact, even rubbing a coin to read the date will leave scratches.

No, if you want nice finds make a small plug.

Me

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 70, Fisher F75, eyes, brain
"me" didn't read the part about only being able to use a screwdriver. The key is practice both of pinpointing and locating the coin. To be successful at that method have to get so good at pinpointing you can narrow the coin down to within a few square inches. Than using the depth meter and probing you will find the coin faster. I can get a target out down to 6 inches pretty much everytime now, and do it quickly. Another problem is the depth meter is generally only correct if it is a coin sized object. An aluminum can at 12 inches will read the same as quarter at 4 inches on most detectors. You can probe all you want being certain there is a quarter there and of course you won't hit anything. Knowing from the size of your signal if this is the case or not also comes with experience and practice. Don't give up, "paying your dues" will pay dividends in the long run. I have found over 20,000 coins, and very, very few of those were plugged to retrieve the coin. Good luck, hope this helps...Ryan

OP
OP
zlathim

zlathim

Mar 8, 2007
Boise, ID
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Thanks Ryan! That does help. I am getting better at pinpointing with the Ace, but I'm sure I'll improve with more time swinging it.

Does any one else have a tip or trick that may help? I read on another post about how pinpointing with the Ace is mure accurate if you pinpoint side to side and then rotate around the target and pinpoint side to side again instead of front to back and that has helped me a bunch. Any other tips?

B

BIG61AL

Never used to the old screwdriver trick. What happens if you got a piece of jewelry and it's odd shaped? It'll send a target signal every which way and you'll be poking a dozen holes trying to find it. If I cant cut a three sided plug I'll do an "L" shape cut and hope I am close to the target.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stick with the screwdriver and try a large bladed one. Pull tabs and rings will give you the most trouble as your either hitting inside or outside. This is why I like a bayonet, but it is not a screwdriver! 99.9% of the coins you recover will only have face value. Save the brass probes for if you are in an extremely good spot where old coins are located and this usually won't be school yards.

If you do need to cut a plug, lay it on a piece of plastic so you can dump all the dirt back in the hole. This is where a pinpointer comes in to check the plug or inside the hole.

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
Would they allow you to cut a circle through the sod arround the target with lets say a serrated knife?
Now you can flip the piece of sod over find your treasure and flip the sod back in place and no harm done...

OP
OP
zlathim

zlathim

Mar 8, 2007
Boise, ID
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Sandman & Vermont- Too be honest with you, I have cheated a few times and cut a plug with my knife. I carry a scrap of canvas about 8" x 8" to lay the plug and dirt on. I feel kinda bad breaking the rules though and I am hoping to refine my popping technique so I won't need to worry about getting caught. Thanks for the comments! I appreciate you guys taking the time to help me out.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
If your dead set on "probing" and that's all that is allowed, make your own brass probe.

Go to Ace (or any) hardware store and buy a brass rod the same thickness as any plastic handled screwdriver you may have.

Heat the steal shaft of the screwdriver until it heats the handle - melting it enough to pull the shaft out

IMMEDIATELY insert the brass shaft and the cooling plastic will hold the shaft in place. Cut to size, round the end (tip) with a grinder or file. *NOTE* A QUICK HEAT ON THE BRASS WILL GET IT BACK INTO A COLD SCREWDRIVER PLASTIC HANDLE.

You have a brass probe that is only LESS LIKELY to scratch coins... and truthfully... if you're only probing and popping coins the chances are it's all clad anyway and nothing to worry about if scratched.

Good luck getting bracelets & necklaces though - as stated.

Me

Aug 13, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre
utah hunter said:
"me" didn't read the part about only being able to use a screwdriver.

Ya, I missed that. I guess the very mention of screwdriver gets Me off track.

Well, hope you master it. I spent many years trying and screwed-up some great finds. There's nothing quite as awful as bringing up a silver bust coin with a fresh deep scratch across the face. I'd rather not even dig it.

Each to his own.

OP
OP
zlathim

zlathim

Mar 8, 2007
Boise, ID
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Thanks for all of the replies.

Montana Jim- I am goping to try to make the probe as you described. Thanks for the instructions.

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never tried the screwdriver method, but I'm going to be in Boise this weekend and just got off the phone with a nice lady who is going to give me the "test" for my license and show me how to do it. Hope I pass ;D

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
zlathim said:

Montana Jim- I am goping to try to make the probe as you described. Thanks for the instructions.

As a reminder, the very fact that your uing a probe means you will be scratching the find... brass only helps mitigate the damage.

Have fun!

OP
OP
zlathim

zlathim

Mar 8, 2007
Boise, ID
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
waseeker said:
I've never tried the screwdriver method, but I'm going to be in Boise this weekend and just got off the phone with a nice lady who is going to give me the "test" for my license and show me how to do it. Hope I pass ;D

Sounds like you are going to be visiting the "Wampum Hut" for your Boise School District continuing education metal detecting certificate / permit. You pay two bucks and she teaches you how to pinpoint with your detector, and how to probe with a screwdriver. If you can find one of the seemingly endless number of wheaties in her front yard you pass. It's actually pretty cool because she and her husband (recently deceased)have a long history of MDing and there is a huge assortment of relics and doo dads in the place to look at.

OP
OP
zlathim

zlathim

Mar 8, 2007
Boise, ID
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Montana Jim said:
zlathim said:

As a reminder, the very fact that your uing a probe means you will be scratching the find... brass only helps mitigate the damage.

Have fun!

Thanks Jim. For Boise I'm pretty much stuck with probing, but other cities in the area don't restrict digging, so I'll get to do both from time to time.

OP
OP
zlathim

zlathim

Mar 8, 2007
Boise, ID
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
zlathim said:
waseeker said:

Sounds like you are going to be visiting the "Wampum Hut" for your Boise School District continuing education metal detecting certificate / permit. You pay two bucks and she teaches you how to pinpoint with your detector, and how to probe with a screwdriver. If you can find one of the seemingly endless number of wheaties in her front yard you pass. It's actually pretty cool because she and her husband (recently deceased)have a long history of MDing and there is a huge assortment of relics and doo dads in the place to look at.

That is who I talked to. I'm looking forward to the trip.

Tykit

Jan 20, 2007
Middlesex, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, Fisher
I search parks for jewelry and so I find a whole lot of pull tabs. I prefer not to dig a plug for all those signals so I use this home made ring/pulltab puller. Pulls out pulltabs, rings, chains, coins, foil, canslaw, etc. Needs good pinpointing or several swipes. Best in moist soil, dry hard soil is too hard to penetrate. Made from an 8" bread knife, added beefed up handle.

Attachments

• Improved Pullers.jpg
    Improved Pullers.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 466
  • Improved Pullers.jpg
    Improved Pullers.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 447
OP
OP
zlathim

zlathim

Mar 8, 2007
Boise, ID
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Tykit said:
I search parks for jewelry and so I find a whole lot of pull tabs. I prefer not to dig a plug for all those signals so I use this home made ring/pulltab puller. Pulls out pulltabs, rings, chains, coins, foil, canslaw, etc. Needs good pinpointing or several swipes. Best in moist soil, dry hard soil is too hard to penetrate. Made from an 8" bread knife, added beefed up handle.
So I am assuming that you stab one of those tools in next to your suspected target and then hope to catch the ring, necklace, etc as you drag it back to the surface. Is that correct?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread