Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
See if you can find the modern coordinates of the spot on this map:

http://historicalmaps.arcgis.com/usgs/

Then click a random spot on "Depot St." where you suspect a station / platform might have been. This will bring up a list of map dates at the bottom (might have to use the scroll bar to drag left or right). Click on the oldest one. That will bring up whatever topo map location is the oldest for your area. If it was a full blown structure, then there should be a black dot. But if it was just a platform, maybe not ?

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
DIG LARGE IRON! It could be a lock!

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got a similar scenario in a ghost town I'm planning a trip to hit. Thanks for raising the question, and thanks to Tom for the guidance and link!

sonofdust

Jan 30, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Safari, Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check Abandonedrails.com and see if they have anything ?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It will be within about 12 feet of the tracks. ;-)

OP
OP
gentleone444

gentleone444

Apr 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah i guess the thing is trying to visualize what it would have looked like, how close to the tracks etc.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look for old aerial photos of the town. Go to the local library and ask about the history of the town...maybe old maps.

OP
OP
gentleone444

gentleone444

Apr 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a pic and a description of location! Thanks guys! Heading out in a few to check it out!
1e770246b94977a54652c53eef0c35e8.jpg

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
Boy, I'd love to scan that whole area. Think of all the kids playing and people sitting around waiting for the train, as stuff falls from their pockets.

OP
OP
gentleone444

gentleone444

Apr 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got rained out didnt get to hunt but I believe I got the spot nailed down...unfortunately its pretty rough, weedy with rr gravel piled up but I will give it a shot anyways.

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
I had a Great Aunt and Uncle that lived near RR. You could throw a baseball from their back door and hit the tracks. It split their farm in two. A half mile down the tracks was a creek where the steam cars took on water. While taking on water they swept the train cars out, right onto the tracks. My Uncle would find coins several times a year. Hope you can find where they swept out the cars. Good luck.

OP
OP
gentleone444

gentleone444

Apr 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, that Mackaydon is kind of creepy, eh ? :tongue3:

Just kidding. He's one of the most skilled researchers (object ID's, etc... ) of any forum participant I've ever seen.
Oh good to hear it!

OP
OP
gentleone444

gentleone444

Apr 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See if you can find the modern coordinates of the spot on this map:

http://historicalmaps.arcgis.com/usgs/

Then click a random spot on "Depot St." where you suspect a station / platform might have been. This will bring up a list of map dates at the bottom (might have to use the scroll bar to drag left or right). Click on the oldest one. That will bring up whatever topo map location is the oldest for your area. If it was a full blown structure, then there should be a black dot. But if it was just a platform, maybe not ?
That website is amazing thanks so much for sharing! Im sure I will use it again and again in years to come.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread