Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Detecting At Night....

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, White's Eagle ll SL90, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, TinyTec, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 720i, TRX
    4162 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    I hunt at night also. Best to hunt with a buddy, but, I realize that isn't always easy to do. I'll hunt parks or other land sites at night IF I have a hunting buddy otherwise, I won't. I'll hunt the beach alone though. Usually, there are other people there at the popular beaches, even at 0-dark thirty. I try to keep clear of others, but, occasionally one will approach. They get the headlight-in-the-eyes treatment until I can decide if they're a threat. Most are just curious or drunk. I haven't had any serious run-ins. Occasionally you'll run across some sketchy character and I'll keep a close eye on them. I'll detect away from them and be prepared to get into the surf if necessary. They're unlikely to follow you there. If they did, I'd figure they were up to no good and would use my Stealth 720 to put a hurt on them if necessary!
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

Sep 2017
    2 times
    I live about 7 miles west of Jefferson City and looking for other people to hunt with around this fall

Apr 2017
    Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
    486 times
    I hunt at night alot. Red headlight is best for eyes to adjust. Headphones with one on and one off. Some detectors like Nokta and Makro have a vibrating handle feature. I set my pinpointer to vibrate (silent). Choosing moonlight nights helps, windy nights disguise noise. Careful for snakes. Dont get too focused on digging to forget your surroundings.

Chub
    3cylbill and pa-dirt_nc-sand like this.

us
    Jan 2017
    Western ny
    Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
    1671 times
    LOVE night hunting, its probably half my time spent hunting now a days. There are both risks and rewards. Wish i had a ccp to carry a nice .45 though

us
    Kim

Jul 2017
    RI
    White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pinpointer, Garrett Carrot Pinpointer
    997 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I start in the evening and it ends up being night....Once I was reported as a suspicious being and the police came to check me out. It was no problem and I guess it is good that people are looking out for possible problems..
    The detector is my stethoscope to the earth, discovering the heartbeat of the past, to breathe new life into artifacts for us and the future.....

clv
    us
    Dec 2012
    santee, ca
    Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Minelab Eureka gold, Tesoro Compadre, and TRX Pin Pointer Have owned; White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro, fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, fisher 1235x, Garret Master Hunter V
    858 times
    I Am out in the early AM, I start an hour before sunrise, most of the bad guy are still asleep or just pass out still then. In all the years that I have been detecting I have had only one run in with a crazy guy about 2 years ago, pulled a small knife on me (maybe a 3" or so long blade), I pulled my Hori-Hori blade out (about 12" long) and the problem ran away. btw I also carry pepper spray.
    Don' ask, Don't tell, just DIG!

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    7078 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by Underwonder View Post
    ........Once I was reported as a suspicious being and the police came to check me out. It was no problem and I guess it is good that people are looking out for possible problems..
    Haha, good story. When the subject of hunting parks at night comes up (to avoid the "stigma" of hunting in manicured turf), there is usually someone to object and say that it draws the attention of police that you are "up to no good". blah blah blah.

But my experience has been like yours: That even on the remote possibility that a policeman DOES see you out in a park at night (and stops to check you out), it's exactly as you say: They have BIGGER FISH to fry. Heck, they're probably thinking "what a looser geek".

One time I was crouched digging a target near the street in a park, when a cop car passed me . I saw him hit the brakes make a U-turn, and head back my way. I thought : "Oh no, I'm about to get scrammed". He pulled up alongside of me as I stood back up. He rolled down his window, took stock of what I was doing, and just laughed. Said "I saw someone suspiciously crouching and wondered what was up". He then proceeded to ask "what's the best thing you ever found", and so forth.
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2015
    Greensboro NC
    Nokta Impact, Tesoro Tejon and Compadre, Nokta Pin pointer Have owned Minlab E-trac, BH-505 Whites 6000 Di Garrett ADS 2,3 and 7
    1301 times
    When i lived on Guam i detected alone on the beach at night all the time. Since i was out in the water nobody ever bothered me. Would i detect the dry sand at night? Maybe if i had someone with me.
    A yard a day keeps the blues away!

us
    Kim

Jul 2017
    RI
    White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pinpointer, Garrett Carrot Pinpointer
    997 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View Post
    Haha, good story. When the subject of hunting parks at night comes up (to avoid the "stigma" of hunting in manicured turf), there is usually someone to object and say that it draws the attention of police that you are "up to no good". blah blah blah.

But my experience has been like yours: That even on the remote possibility that a policeman DOES see you out in a park at night (and stops to check you out), it's exactly as you say: They have BIGGER FISH to fry. Heck, they're probably thinking "what a looser geek".

One time I was crouched digging a target near the street in a park, when a cop car passed me . I saw him hit the brakes make a U-turn, and head back my way. I thought : "Oh no, I'm about to get scrammed". He pulled up alongside of me as I stood back up. He rolled down his window, took stock of what I was doing, and just laughed. Said "I saw someone suspiciously crouching and wondered what was up". He then proceeded to ask "what's the best thing you ever found", and so forth.
    Good story too!
    The detector is my stethoscope to the earth, discovering the heartbeat of the past, to breathe new life into artifacts for us and the future.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links