Detecting At Night....

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm Just Curious if anyone here who Detects After Dark has ever had any kind of problems with Robbery, Mugging or Any Kind of Harassment Excluding Law Enforcement?

Same Question, Except Detecting During The Day?

Do Any of You Carry While Detecting?

Any Advice For Detecting After Dark For Personal Safety? Besides the obvious of letting someone know where you are, when you will be back, having your cell with you and the family tracker turned on your phone.
TrackR is an excellent product to attach to your car, equipment,keys,keep in your pocket, wallet etc. That just lets you know where your property is on Maps and is No Personal Safety. If you are kidnapped and they didn't find it on you I guess you could even be located.
I HAVE NO PERSONAL INTEREST IN THIS PRODUCT EXCEPT AS A CONSUMER.

On that one I also call the local Police Dispatch and them know that it's going to be me at such and such location til whatever time. I do that to keep patrols from responding if someone calls in about someone being there. They always thank me for the Heads Up. That isn't any protection but they know I'm there.

Thank You!

Upvote 0

Kookiemonsta

May 6, 2013
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Minelab XTerra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have done this a few times...
Our in farmfields in northern MN, nothing to worry about there.
Other times are at some local parks here... I just like the solitude of being out there "alone". Most city parks do technically "close" at night, so I wouldnt call the cops to inform them I will be there after dark. I do carry a container of bear spray on my wasteband, but have never fun into any issues. I do live in Northern Minneapolis which is not considered the best area. Also, dont bring valueables. Leave the phone, wallet, etc in the car. Lastly, my Lesche digger is not the most friendly looking tool if I were approached either haha :) I dont carry a gun, but having a holster there with what appears to be a large knife probably isnt too enticing.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is an entire thread on this site about who carries while detecting. Should not be hard to find. Yes many of us carry.

Silver Saver

Mar 15, 2017
Center of North America
Detector(s) used
Etrac- Sunray x5, x8, x12. Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My biggest problem at night is mosquitoes! And recommend the carrying of bug spray! Ha. Other than that I just keep an eye out and have my 18" shovel

Scutter5151

Sep 9, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my detector isn't backlight I sure wish it was I got a new eurotek pro and wanting to get an at pro I'm a newbie from middle missouri

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
There is a thread of a relatively new young detectorist who went out on Singer Island at night. This beach gets some strange types at night. He was mugged and they stole all his equipment and I believe his car keys. TN people came together and I believe got him help with getting new equipment.

I detect at night on beaches all the time. Its my preferred way to do wet and dry sand. I do carry. A menacing pit bull ran up on me at 2am or so in the morning, and was showing teeth and backing me into the water, and I had to draw on him. The owner came running up moments later, and no one got hurt. The owner was not nice about the situation. Despite this beach being no dogs allowed, and despite Florida having leash laws (dog was not leashed).......in any case, I feel better if I am alone on the beach at night if I am armed. I really enjoy hunting at night, very peaceful and I get a lot of good thinking done then.

namxat

Feb 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well sometimes you just have to detect at night (after dark) if you hold a stressy job. The fields are ussually clear in late autumn and when you got out of job at seven p.m., change clothes drive there it is pitch black.

The problem with the dogs is rampant here but actually more at day. Owners do not give anything if there dogs are out of sight for several minutes while walking them. Had several run ins with free roamaing dogs. Would carry if allowed here and have been thinking several times on an anti dog spray but I do not know if they are effective.

Greets Namxat

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in Belgium it's not allowed to detect after dark so no metal detecting in the dark for me.

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got spotlighted in a park the other night by the local leo. Damn near blinded me. Im sure he/she saw me wince in pain as i looked away and kept swinging. And he/she just kept driving. Must not have been the droid they were looking for.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I detect at night all the time. If you're in "the middle of nowhere" (ghost towns, cellar holes, deserted country parks, etc...), then no: No issues at all (you never see another soul). If you're on a touristy beach , or in a park where homeless people camp out, then I suppose you run a risk.

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We stay out of populated places at night unless its a major street/sidewalk job under the street lights. During the summer we are always heading out the door around 6pm and end up in the desert. Of course the four legged creatures sometimes come in close to see what we are doing but when it comes to the two legged versions, we have been lucky to not have them around. We take our Belgium Malinois with us and yes, my son and I both carry! We use LED lights on our hats, and keep a flashlight in our pockets as well. It just so more pleasant, cool and peaceful at night up here in our area!!!! BUT still be safe and careful. Lots of freaks out in the world not matter where you may be.........

pearson

May 7, 2014
Gastonia, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030. Minelab 705, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm packing anywhere I go!!!! Especially detecting, don't be a victim.
I have too much invested in equipment to take a chance. I have a compact .44 magnum (raging bull) it speaks languages people understand

OP
OP
Kace

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Everyone! I do carry a small .380.

I like the Bear Spray!!
The Lesche is Wicked Looking!

Welcome Scutter! What part of MO are you located? You will love a backlit Detector when you get it!

The areas I'm in, in town do not have a problem with dogs but at the farm there are Coyotes (I don't like to take Rocco out at night because of the size of the packs). He's pretty protective, Not Aggressive, He would be way outnumbered, but also with the large cats, small bears.. Not many of them yet and now the wild boars. I do take a larger gun out down there.

There isn't a large homeless population where I am but then again, I've thought about the timber surrounding walking trails and parks...if someone doesn't wanna be seen, they won't. South KCMO has had several Men Killed recently while walking their Dogs on Indian Creek Trail. That's a pretty nice and crime free area. I know they have put game cams up but so far I haven't heard that the murderer has been caught. It makes you think. One of the guys was the owner of a large well known Sports Bar just across the road from the trail. His 3 dogs were found roaming in the vicinity of his body. He was one of the latest killed, so no one really thinks he was a specific target. That's not far really from me so I haven't really felt comfortable going out at night alone Detecting...even with Rocco.

Like everyone said just gotta watch your surroundings and make good decisions.

That was VERY NICE of The TN community to come together to get him set up again!

There Really Are Some Great People Here!

Thanks Again
Kace

OP
OP
Kace

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm packing anywhere I go!!!! Especially detecting, don't be a victim.
I have too much invested in equipment to take a chance. I have a compact .44 magnum (raging bull) it speaks languages people understand

Pearson...I had to smile at your post...You have the same name as my Dad, different spelling but your comments sounded Exactly Like Him! Thank You...I really miss him.

Kace

junkhunt

Feb 21, 2017
North Central Arkansas
Detector(s) used
white's eagle spectrum , White's Spectra V3i, Garrett AT Pro. Garrett AT Pen pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm Just Curious if anyone here who Detects After Dark has ever had any kind of problems with Robbery, Mugging or Any Kind of Harassment Excluding Law Enforcement?

Same Question, Except Detecting During The Day?

Do Any of You Carry While Detecting?

Any Advice For Detecting After Dark For Personal Safety? Besides the obvious of letting someone know where you are, when you will be back, having your cell with you and the family tracker turned on your phone.
TrackR is an excellent product to attach to your car, equipment,keys,keep in your pocket, wallet etc. That just lets you know where your property is on Maps and is No Personal Safety. If you are kidnapped and they didn't find it on you I guess you could even be located.
I HAVE NO PERSONAL INTEREST IN THIS PRODUCT EXCEPT AS A CONSUMER.

On that one I also call the local Police Dispatch and them know that it's going to be me at such and such location til whatever time. I do that to keep patrols from responding if someone calls in about someone being there. They always thank me for the Heads Up. That isn't any protection but they know I'm there.

Thank You!
I always Carry While Detecting.
I don't like using head phones day or night because you can't hear whats going on around you and giving somebody a much better chance of sneaking up on you.
If you are going out at night don't get a Garrett AT Pro they don't have a back light.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt at night also. Best to hunt with a buddy, but, I realize that isn't always easy to do. I'll hunt parks or other land sites at night IF I have a hunting buddy otherwise, I won't. I'll hunt the beach alone though. Usually, there are other people there at the popular beaches, even at 0-dark thirty. I try to keep clear of others, but, occasionally one will approach. They get the headlight-in-the-eyes treatment until I can decide if they're a threat. Most are just curious or drunk. I haven't had any serious run-ins. Occasionally you'll run across some sketchy character and I'll keep a close eye on them. I'll detect away from them and be prepared to get into the surf if necessary. They're unlikely to follow you there. If they did, I'd figure they were up to no good and would use my Stealth 720 to put a hurt on them if necessary!

Scutter5151

Sep 9, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live about 7 miles west of Jefferson City and looking for other people to hunt with around this fall

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt at night alot. Red headlight is best for eyes to adjust. Headphones with one on and one off. Some detectors like Nokta and Makro have a vibrating handle feature. I set my pinpointer to vibrate (silent). Choosing moonlight nights helps, windy nights disguise noise. Careful for snakes. Dont get too focused on digging to forget your surroundings.

Chub

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOVE night hunting, its probably half my time spent hunting now a days. There are both risks and rewards. Wish i had a ccp to carry a nice .45 though

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I start in the evening and it ends up being night....Once I was reported as a suspicious being and the police came to check me out. It was no problem and I guess it is good that people are looking out for possible problems..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread