AT Max Review?

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since May...:dontknow:

OP
OP
S

StinkinPete

Greenie
Aug 24, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone have a ATMax? I hear they are shipping but no reviews?

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No way Im preordering the Equinox. I couldnt stand having to wait nearly half a year for it to show up at my door

Leroy36

Tenderfoot
Mar 17, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, Cobra Beach Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does anyone have a AT Max? We would love to hear what you think. Is it any batter than the AT Gold?

Yep, bought the one of the first ones available in Wisconsin. It's about the same as the AT Pro or Gold, but the tones are different and the (obvious) addition of Z-Lynk which is very comfortable while you are digging with no wires.

OP
OP
S

StinkinPete

Greenie
Aug 24, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So Leroy you don't see a difference other than the wireless headphones? Wow, I thought there would be something that stood out. Thanks for giving us your thoughts.

Leroy36

Tenderfoot
Mar 17, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, Cobra Beach Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, other than some minor differences (the display is a tiny bit bigger, tones are different, etc.) and the wireless headphones and a bit more sensitivity, it's not that much different. Not trying to bash Garrett here, great company, but a letdown on this newest one.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So you mean to tell me my ATP with cordless headphones already is going to be basically the same thing? I have one on order and I have the thunder coil and the storm so if it's not going to get me any deeper and the only ad on is all metal mode I already have the F75 for that. I might as well cancel my order and save my money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

GaffleBab

Aug 4, 2017
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT MAX International
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I sent Garrett an email yesterday morning and I still have yet to receive any reply; that's pretty much two full business days.

Here is the main ask: "I am wondering in the MAX description there are two quotes here "Enhanced Detection Depth" and "significant depth increase". I'm curious as to what depth the MAX can pick up old Copper and Silver coins in normal park and yard like conditions. It's a tough choice between the MAX or the Deus or E-Trac. I look forward to more information and Thank You very much for your time."

My subject line was: "Couple quick questions RE: AT MAX "

One would think they would make priority to answers all sales questions asap during a new release but who knows...

Boomah21

May 18, 2017
Michigan
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
T2 classic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just canceled my order. I would of kept it but literally no communication given from where I purchased and when I would call and ask it seemed like I was bothering them, funny because they had time to send me a couple emails every week trying to get me to buy this or that.

Frusted with Garrett and the company I ordered from.

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With the new minelab coming I would wait . I like my ATP but if I was buying right now it would be the new minelab.

GaffleBab

Aug 4, 2017
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT MAX International
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got my response from Garrett and it's fairly generic which I understand completely. I have also ordered the MAX as an upgrade from my Delta 4k as I just cannot wait until the new Minelabs comes out but maybe I'll buy that when the time comes provided the stock market treats me well from now till then haha.

"Dear Andrew,

Thank you for contacting Garrett Metal Detectors and thank you for your patience.

The AT Max does have enhanced depth on targets due to increased power . Keep in mind that it is just like all metal detectors where there are many variables involved in acquiring depth . Detector settings , coil types , soil types , soil moisture , target types, target orientation , adjacent trash targets, operators skill level etc. etc. All of these variables and more can drastically affect a detectors performance . Therefore there is not a standard measure in inches of how deep any Garrett detector will find any said target . Nor will Garrett tell you that you will get two inches deeper or three inches more depth on any target based on all these variables with the new AT Max or any other Garrett detector for that matter. That said Garett has chosen to describe the AT Max as “ Enhanced Detection Depth ‘’ and ‘’ significant depth increase ‘’ as our engineers discovered both in their tests as well as our various field testers around the globe have as well. Thank you for understanding and let me know if you have any further questions .

Kind Regards,

Norma Escobedo

International Sales"

Goldfinger450

Aug 28, 2017
Central Oregon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What model of Minelab has everyone so excited?? I don't see that much written about them here as the price runs most to less expensive but great performing machines? I'm after an XP Deus and New AT Max. The Minelabs to me are for Goldfield work mainly and the $$12,000 Dollaro's is a steep price for their high end new tech??

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
What model of Minelab has everyone so excited?? I don't see that much written about them here as the price runs most to less expensive but great performing machines? I'm after an XP Deus and New AT Max. The Minelabs to me are for Goldfield work mainly and the $$12,000 Dollaro's is a steep price for their high end new tech??
The Minelab Equinox.

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The non_stop hype when a new detector comes out ...learn the one you own and use it . I have the first AT3 garrett and loved it , would still be using it if i could find a new box as the one I have is broken and cracked . I found alot with this old timer and found more gold than any other machine I have used in the last fourty years . I would like a brand spankin new AT to see the difference in the last thirty years and the wireless headphones are the way to go...

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well....I'll post my two zinc cents worth......I also had my finger on the trigger for the AT Max, Garrett is a good company with good history, and I have owned three Garrett's over time, and in fact currently have the AT Pro, good machine. I then took a step back along with a deep breath and thought, just what am I buying for say $722.00 that I do not already have with the Pro?, well, a backlit screen, and wireless headphones, not a whole lot more really, a slightly different KHz perhaps, but that's about it. Detecting deeper?, you kind of have to admit that Garrett's response to GaffleBab's post was pretty generic, in fact things we all already know, and it was an honest response, but it does make "added detection depth" between the two machines a rather mute point. Now, as far as the new minelab?, for me, and speaking only for me, that for about $70 less than the Max, I would have all that the Max offers, with the addition of choosing to operate in one of three single freq's, or all three together, that's for the 600, the 800, for about $180 more than the Max, can operate in one of five, or again all five together, I like that a great deal. Everything else?, yes, backlit screen, waterproof to 10 ft. etc. So I can wait until sometime next year, again I currently use two really good detectors, the Minelab "Safari", and the "AT Pro", both of which I'll keep. I will still need to see more about the new minelab, more detailed information, user reviews etc, but time is on my side. It is possible that the 800 will be all I will ever need for my style of hunting, perhaps better than the Pro in that one in 5 freq's or multi, and better than the Safari, because of "waterproof", and would replace my X-Terra 70. Time will tell, we will see.

junkhunt

Feb 21, 2017
North Central Arkansas
Detector(s) used
white's eagle spectrum , White's Spectra V3i, Garrett AT Pro. Garrett AT Pen pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will the AT Max fined more goodies to put in my goodie bag than the AT Pro or my Whites V3i? Some how I doubt it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread