Can the AT Max match the Deus?

TnDigger0083

Sep 5, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I currently have an MXT. And I'm looking to move into a better detector.
I mostly relics hunt. I find myself wanting an AT Max for some reason.
But my next purchase will come down to price/ performance.
The Deus is more expensive, but is OK if the performance is better.
The AT Max is much more in my price range and seems to get better performance than the current MXT I own.
At least from the reviews I read.

Basically I'm looking for a detector that can preform in fairly mineralized soil while primarly looking for relics.

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will depend on you. I have a Deus and love it. It sucks stuff right out of the ground. I had an AT Pro, didn't do too well with it. It depends on you because not all detectorists are created equal. If any one us rush like madmen, keep the coil 5" off the ground with each swing, and don't know the machine, a 5 year old will beat us with a $99 machine. Now, my Deus beats the snot out of my old machine, which relied on a turn knob discrimination. HOWEVER, the old machine at $399 new in box also got itself 2 gold coins, one from 1774, 25 cannon balls, 50 Revolutionary War buttons, 300 plus Civil War minie balls, two gold rings with diamonds, about 80 Civil War buttons, including a few Confederate, a couple Union buckles and plates and a Confederate CSA plate. And other stuff. A lot of other stuff. I think these days we put too much emphasis on the machine, and not enough on the operator. We also need to research our sites. The Deus is equal to the $399 machine at the beach and the Virginia red dirt, but the Deus smacks it around in a nail pit. Of which I have several I dig. In slightly mineralized ground, it is a toss up, but the Deus does discriminate better. No, I didn't find all this last week. If you can test your machine against anything you want to purchase, that would be the way to go. That's what sold me on the Deus. A side by side comparison. I still have the old machine.

StinkinPete

Greenie
Aug 24, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Deus is NOT all that. I think Smokey the Cat is smoking something. The T2 is just as good of a machine and it cost half the price. Wait to see what the AT Max reviews look like. It does not seem to be any better than the AT Gold at this point so you may want to go with the T2 SE.

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I originally started with the AT Pro and liked it, but after about a year, started having shoulder pain. (I know, the ATP is actually fairly light.) So I decided to go with the Deus since it's lighter, wireless and extremely quick recovery speed. I also like how compact it can be for travel. Down sides are: 1. Cost. 2. Deep target VID not great. 3. Proprietary/Very expensive coils. I really like the Deus and have no plans to change machines anytime soon.

If you're planning on doing any water detecting that may push you towards the Max.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I've owned 3 atp's and one XP Deus. I kept the Deus. Please see calabash digger's YouTube videos that show the comparisons between the two. It should help answer your questions. Good luck!

Priate Booty

Tenderfoot
Jul 21, 2017
SUNSHINE STATE
Detector(s) used
Minre Lab CTX 3030,Mine Lab Sovergins GT
Garrett AT Pro, Mine Lab Excalibur, Mine Lab Equinox, Garret Sea Hunter, Fisher Cz -21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AT Pro Benefits

AT Pro is the way to go. I have used my AT Pro for the last 5 days after Hurricane Irma, a COIn rich area laden with Liberty Head Dimes 10 each, 1940's Nickels, Lady Liberty half dollar 1943, Golden 10 Kt ring by the surf, 4 Silver Quarter 10 other Quarters, various Pennies. The reason why I am putting this out is because, I have watched other metal detectors go over area I went over.."I then went back over the same area and found more coins". Case I 'm trying to prove.. These other guys had far more better and expensive MD'd than I had. By no means I am putting anyone down nor bragging, about my finds.. Even told them and others where to look. " have learned to read the tide lines" which run parallel to waves on out going tide and where heavy drop out. Granted, I dig every thing, and find lots of Pull Tabs and Iron Slag, but the Machine I use is working great for me.
I even took a trip to Treasure Coast Last week, and spent a few hours along Wabasso Beach, me myself and 30 other MD with various Machines. "That was a challenge", because Early Bird gets Worms or Oreo Cookies, and those MD's were working beach hard and know where the actual coin drop off is. Mostly the erosion there ,was not as significant as what we had from St Augustine to Georgia.
I try to have fun and while Nam doing my chores the greatest thing is meeting lots of people who ask, what did you find? I know it's a good practice to Keep secrets of finds, but I explain how machine works and how to look. The main thing is to get out and just do it. TAKE YOUR TIME,,, and research your grid you walk over.. don't swing like a base ball Bat.
eventually I will upgrade to one of the newer models that are High end, and compare finds, I believe with knowledge of area, among of traffic areas get, and especially the past history, some good finds can be had, like most of you seasoned Veterans have done. My thanks goes to "God" the father for letting find the find and being healthy enough to get out and explore this area this country we live in.
Best of metal detecting to anyone who enjoyed what I wrote and read
Oh! I failed to mention On the AT Pro I use the Pro setting on zero with Iron Discrimination of 35, when you go to dry, wet, and water it's a must to Ground Balance each time in new Sand type area. when I get a specific Hit on Target I with to Standard Coin, tie I am sure its a good hit.. even then I still haul out Pop Tops, Cans, and Iron slag from the old junk in water.. Red Sea Glass, Keep it. It's hard to find, and the infamous Sharks Teeth., just to mention a couple of other nice finds.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't believe the hype. All new releases seem to be surrounded in vast ammounts of pre release hype. I believed the nokta impact was going to be the machine to end all machines.....I would wait and see some real live Max digs before committing to buying one.
Chub

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the AT and the Deus, Just got a CTX which I really think is a great machine. Selling the Deus.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Deus is NOT all that. I think Smokey the Cat is smoking something. The T2 is just as good of a machine and it cost half the price. Wait to see what the AT Max reviews look like. It does not seem to be any better than the AT Gold at this point so you may want to go with the T2 SE.

Hey Stinky have you ever swung the Deus? It is all that, but I do not like the fact that if and when the batteries die you need to send it off to be replaced and the price of additional coils is expensive. If by some chance you are hunting and forgot to charge the unit you just can't pop in some batteries and continue the hunt. You need to sit for about 20 minutes for a fast charge. I had one for a year and it can go slightly deeper than the T2SE and the F75LTD,

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've waited for months to see if the hype surrounding the max is real. Yesterday I saw a bunch of activity on the net about Minelabs newest offering, the Equinox. That unit is supposed to be the next generation of detectors that will make all others pale in comparison. We'll see. If they take as long as Garrett has to get the max into the hands of consumers, I'll be reading about in 2018. Maybe...

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the heads up! Will check out the equinox.

Chub

edit. THAT LOOKS AWESOME. this is something I would seriously consider.

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I went to Diggin in PA there was about 1,000 years total of detecting experience at one location. I talked to many about different detectors and came away with this.

Best coin shooter is the CTX-3030 and the best relic machine is the XP Deus. Most of my die hard detecting buddies swing them. I have over 3 years on the F75LTD and sold my Deus after a year. The driving force for me selling the Deus is that I know the F75 like the back of my hand and rather be great with one detector than so-so with 2, plus the reasons I stated in the question to Stinky in my previous post. I got my deus for 30 cents on the dollar so it was a no brainer to get and try. I knew I could recoup my investment and sell for a meager profit. I did like that it can run in 4 distinct freq.s, it's fast, and was ultra light.

As for the AT Max it is an AT Pro that runs a better frequency than the AT Pro IMO and is wireless which makes the additional $200 cost palatable. I do not think it is as good as the Deus but that is from a guy who only swung the Deus and read the specs of the AT Max.

I rather hear standard tones than bell tones and I am not a huge fan of the Bwoop-Bwoop sound of the Minelabs.

Last edited:

StinkinPete

Greenie
Aug 24, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Loco, I made the same mistake. I tried the Deus and it was a complex mess that had no improvement over the T2. I look forward to hearing from the new AT Max users. I thought they were shipping but I am not seeing any reviews which leads to believe there may be some buyers remorse. I am a AT Pro fan and T2, but the Max seems to fall flat so far.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You get what you pay for(usually)

StinkinPete

Greenie
Aug 24, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like the Equinox may be the way to go. If it is better than Deus and Max. Also priced to sell.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, forget the max. Equinox will be all that. Unfortunately not until early next year, though.

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use whatever works for you! We have an AT Pro; Minelab E-Trac, Whites and a couple XP Deus's. We have found coins, gold and relics with all of them. We use the XP more because of its lightness and the areas we mainly detect are inundated with metal. The Minelab for deep coins and relics in areas with small amounts of metal and the AT Pro for water. We love them all and won't be selling any of them anytime soon. Just takes time and you ability to learn with whatever makes you happy. Remember the old trick, if it beeps, just DIG!!!!!!! Most everyone here is in expert in one way or another as well as their knowledge on their machines. Use this knowledge and get out there and just have fun!!!! Good luck!!!!:icon_thumright:

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I drag an ATP around and do decent with it...my former hunting bud sported the almighty CTX3030 and it was one bad-a** unit...I always told him if he sold it to sell it to me. Well, he chases some tail down south and he told me he sold it for $1200 when he got hard up for cash...AAARRRGGGG....I bout barfed thru the phone...Ddf

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You should be able to get a used 3030 for $1200 next year . I would wait for the new minelab $899.00 . It comes stock with an 11 inch coil and no one yet knows how much the 6 inch coil will cost . If it is expensive like the deus coils and you do not want to wait buy the deus . I got mine for around $1300 new . The deus being wireless ultra light weight and being able to chose the smaller coil at no extra cost is nice . I think you can order new batteries and install them yourself but I could be wrong on that ?

Priate Booty

Tenderfoot
Jul 21, 2017
SUNSHINE STATE
Detector(s) used
Minre Lab CTX 3030,Mine Lab Sovergins GT
Garrett AT Pro, Mine Lab Excalibur, Mine Lab Equinox, Garret Sea Hunter, Fisher Cz -21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
update on AT Pro here in Florida... went to same spot and found more coinage.. 20 pieces of Silver Coins, 2 Half dollars 6 Silver quarters, 12 Mercury dimes. 1 Gold Platted Ring highly mineralized.. I cleaned but, looks like it was put through the ringer.. Its Gold Ring although near the surf low tide... Lots of Pennies wheat, and Modern Ones.. and dime Heaven hits around 72 high tone Pro Setting Zero.. I learned although to Turn off Iron Audio, Zero discrimination.. "KELLY CO" told me to do that.
I researched other coils to use,, But I will continue to use the Standard Search Coil till I up Grade to a better Unit like the Other Seasoned Veterans that use them//.. This is Addicting, until the supply runs out at this place.. I am grateful to God the Father for having a place close to find these items..
The Treasure Coast is a drive from my Local. Like I informed ya'll went there did Wabasso Beach, for a few Hours nothing.. except for Amber sands I think. I found a PENNY in the low area... Still Great fun about that... lots of Junk items High Sand Line, Steep drop off to surf.. I"am sure in the water closer to the First or Second reef there quality items.... "But, its a No! No! to go in the water with out PERMIT from "Queens Jewels Llc" who owns search area and the RIGHTS to 1715 Fleet"... shipwrecks in that area... I am sure the Seasoned Veterans "God Bless" them are finding some items along Beach after Irma.. Hats off to ya'll. God will put me on a REALE one day.. there up around my area with the surf that cut the dunes.. but once again "Right Time, Right Place".. lots of walking..
There is the possibility of another storm brewing out in Atlantic,, were getting high surf from that all over East Coast.. I do not wish for a "CANE" nor should anyone else.. But thats how items are washed up and uncovered.. recently there was a BIG LOT of Musket balls found in the Treasure Coast in water found by one of the Contracts who have LEASE Rights.. what fun that must of been pulling up MUSKET BALLS... Good for them!!
OK.. talk later.. when. Get a chance I will post finds to share, It's no secret to finding finds, I know some folks are tight lipped on there spots.. But like, I said if you follow Tide Line and Drop Off every day.. "TARGETS" replenish them selfs along these areas,, At least for my self this works and with the "LORDS GUIDANCE" "He gets all the GLORY.".... "what comes around goes around".. With that said: I pray ya'll have a safe outing, remember to educate the younger children the they ask you Hey! What did you find? I show them and tell them it's a fun hobby with Mm and Dads Permission.. Knowledge is great when we spread the teaching , and share it. Especially the ""THE WORD OF GOD" and his Promises..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread