chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel a bit jaded when I hear talk of new releases.... but when I learned from another thread about the Minelab Equinox I have to admit to feeling a bit excited! An affordable multi frequency waterproof lightweight detector.
As I joked in another thread about Nokta claiming "you spoke- we listened".... it appears Nokta had selective hearing with the Impact! We waited a long time for the release. It appears to be a good detector though. Another new release - the AT max- also appears to be OK (not many videos to be found). But it doe raise the question about what 'NEW' really means.
Im going to follow the equinox release very closely. I started out way back with a XT17000 and a big ol SD2000 with the rubbish bin lid coil in the gold fields. I recently came across an old sovereign XS2 and couldnt understand Minelabs gap between the xterra range and the safari and excal.... the sovereign left a gap that was never really filled.
I really thought FTP would be announcing something this year with the price shuffle of the F75 and moving the F70 platform to the patriot.
I for one will buy the Equinox if it is anything like they describe.

As I questioned in another thread, what will other manufacturers do if minelab produce this machine at the same pricepoint as all the single frequency , non waterproof, heavy(ish) machines that have been newly released?

Chub

Upvote 0

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like every other new release I'd wait and see how it actually performs and the user feedback starts hitting the forums, etc. Per example, when the CTX came out guys rushed to buy them only to experience disappointing leak issues, etc. So for me anyway, time will tell the true story on the machine, not the manufacturer. But if it pans out it should be a good one.

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The other guys better crap something truly innovative if they're going to continue floging the single frequency horse.

If not, then perhaps the time for them has come to either step it up or hang it up.

Agreed but rather than hang it up, lower the prices big time on what is available now. It will be hard to sell F-75s,T2s (for example) at the current price if this new Minelab performs. This is great for the consumer. Minelab may have just re-invented the wheel and with a killer price tag.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
wake me up when they make one with an in-line probe ability.

I know a lot of guys who refused to part with their Explorers, Etrac's etc... when the CTX came out. Because they dislike having to lug around a hand-held probe. The in-line probe is addictive.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like every other new release I'd wait and see how it actually performs and the user feedback starts hitting the forums, etc. Per example, when the CTX came out guys rushed to buy them only to experience disappointing leak issues, etc. So for me anyway, time will tell the true story on the machine, not the manufacturer. But if it pans out it should be a good one.

Yes I must say, they only allow a hand full of people the ability to pre test new Detectors
in the field across the U.s. .
I won't name names but when your on that list, you certainly don't want to upset the manufacturer,
plus one persons go to list of Checks is different then others.
One may be more into "will it pick up gold ? ",
while another may be into "comfort"
and another "quality". but what is comfortable to one for instance,
may be a nightmare to the other. but will they say so ? or fear they won't get any more to test ?

I do like to hear from the Buyers.
Even the Constant Complainers give an idea of whats real about minor issues.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On a tangent, can anyone tell me what boxes the Garret green machines currently tick?:laughing7:

Chub

Agent Green

Jul 19, 2013
Midwest
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, Tesoro Silver Umax,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing, I believe this machine is going to give the Deus and Garrett a run for their money.. just wait.. Its light weight, water proof and easy to use. Minelab does their homework... :icon_thumleft:
I was going to get the XP Deus, or the AT Maxx.... not so much anymore. I am so glad I waited, I will be watching this one closely..

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the ability to discriminate out aluminum, yet still find gold is true, this will truly become a game changer.

Interesting where does it state on the literature that it can tell the difference between the two? Very curious about this.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No where I read.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe in a Video ? :dontknow:

if I think about it seriously though, considering all the Size , and shape differences & Karat differences
there must be Hundreds if not Thousands of differences when it comes to gold Rings & other gold Jewelry.
and I would believe gold can come in at all parts of the Spectrum.
so actually You can already block out most Aluminum & find Gold.
But the Gold must be 10 K or Less & Large .
I say that because I did Find a large Class ring once that I would have Found with Full discrimination
on my sovereign sounded like a quarter or can.
and I found a Keepsake diamond Engagement ring Once (18k white gold) that I could have sworn was a Nail. & in fact was under a Nail. (More Issues to consider :laughing7:)

then ya Got aluminum Differences From Can to Can tab to Can tab Ring to Can tab Tongue
to Can tab Tongue rolled up or Flat, or on edge, old style, new style,
Hippy Style etc, Aluminum Tokens,
antique car Coins, you name it . all with their own large and slight signature differences.

Now ad in Ground & age Differences

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not jumping on the band wagon. Lots of people do. That's ok. Minelab has produced some machines which are very good for what they do, but some are just to freaking heavy for me. And unwieldy. I have seen people with very expensive top notch machines RUNNNNNNNNN through a field looking for the golden jackpot. I did better that day going slow and methodical. It will all depend on the hype versus reality, and the end user and their needs. Will take a look at it but won't buy another machine of any kind before I have one in my hands to use first. Most dealers have test gardens....If I am not mistaken their Gofind, wasn't so hot. Anybody get one of those?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... I did Find a large Class ring once that I would have Found with Full discrimination
on my sovereign sounded like a quarter or can....

Sure. Some gold objects if they are big enough, will read up into the penny (higher disc.) range. Eg.: Big fat man's college 10k rings. Or a $20 gold piece, etc... Also 24k pure rings (that some Asian jewelers deal with) will read up high. EVEN when they are small . Since pure gold is actually a high conductor, and it's the alloys of 14k and 18k that bring down the conductivity. I once got a 24k pure ring that was small and dainty. Yet read up near copper penny .

But the devil is in the details: Unfortunately very few gold items fit into those categories. You will find a million clad coin in a park, before chancing on to the gold ring of that size (or $20 gold, or whatever). Unfortunately most gold is alloyed. And most jewelry not monster sized.

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I will be taking bets and giving 10 to 1 until the release date that it can't differentiate all gold from all aluminum and cost way less than the Etrac/3030. If that technology ever does come about, price won't be under $10K and I will be on pre-order list. It does look like Minelab is getting a little Deus'y though. I like what I SEE so far.

OP
OP
C

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It kind of makes the Nokta impact (newest release I can think of ) look like 3 ten year old machines rolled into one...:laughing7:

Chub

OP
OP
C

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
seriously though if the Noktas 3 frequencies were simultaneous it could have been a game changer.

Chub

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
seriously though if the Noktas 3 frequencies were simultaneous it could have been a game changer.

Chub

Correct, i completely lost interest when i saw that it was a single freq none simultaneous machine. For that i have my fors Core that works quite well. For deep sand salt and tough ground its multi freq, PI or go home.

OP
OP
C

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Correct, i completely lost interest when i saw that it was a single freq none simultaneous machine. For that i have my fors Core that works quite well. For deep sand salt and tough ground its multi freq, PI or go home.

But how is the Nokta velox marketed and sold as a beach machine? The Racer 2 also does well at the beach. Can't seem to find a satisfactory explanation for these 2 single frequency machines doing well in wet sand.

Chub

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
I really don't think it will replace the etrac and ctx. Not just yet, but what I do think they did is give people a taste of what they have to prevent people from buying a competitor detector. In other words, they want everybody to save their money when this is rolled out instead of buying a deus or a garrett at max now. Just a guess but that is what it seems like. I must say I liked what I saw so far.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But how is the Nokta velox marketed and sold as a beach machine? The Racer 2 also does well at the beach. Can't seem to find a satisfactory explanation for these 2 single frequency machines doing well in wet sand.

Chub

They do quite well, better than all single frequency VLF units in my opinion just not as deep as the multifrequency machines. I wrote a review on my FORS core specifically being tested in soaking wet highly salty sand.

Silverdrake

Greenie
Aug 7, 2017
Mo
Detector(s) used
Garret
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have to agree with morjam. I'm running an ace 300 now and practically had my finger on the buy button for the max when I heard about the equinox. Now I'm saving my $ until both are out and we can look at them side by side. But gosh I'm an inpatient person. Hope minelab doesn't take too long

OP
OP
C

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nokta took 2 years with the impact....so hopefully it wont be that long!

Chub

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread