chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel a bit jaded when I hear talk of new releases.... but when I learned from another thread about the Minelab Equinox I have to admit to feeling a bit excited! An affordable multi frequency waterproof lightweight detector.
As I joked in another thread about Nokta claiming "you spoke- we listened".... it appears Nokta had selective hearing with the Impact! We waited a long time for the release. It appears to be a good detector though. Another new release - the AT max- also appears to be OK (not many videos to be found). But it doe raise the question about what 'NEW' really means.
Im going to follow the equinox release very closely. I started out way back with a XT17000 and a big ol SD2000 with the rubbish bin lid coil in the gold fields. I recently came across an old sovereign XS2 and couldnt understand Minelabs gap between the xterra range and the safari and excal.... the sovereign left a gap that was never really filled.
I really thought FTP would be announcing something this year with the price shuffle of the F75 and moving the F70 platform to the patriot.
I for one will buy the Equinox if it is anything like they describe.

As I questioned in another thread, what will other manufacturers do if minelab produce this machine at the same pricepoint as all the single frequency , non waterproof, heavy(ish) machines that have been newly released?

Chub

Upvote 0

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take it from a former professional photographer who shot Nikon for over 40 years . When Canon first started coming out with their digital cameras they were first in everything and Nikon seemed to drag their rears. I honestly was considered switching my full gear which included many lenses. However a little voice kept telling me to be patient. I was glad I was because Nikon came out swinging a few years later and they kicked butt with their superior more ergonomic and better resolution cameras..

Lesson: Be patient the competitors will not give up that easily. They may have something in the wings in their R&R department just waiting for the completion to release their flagship so they can acquire it and make something better.

My 2 cents

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Equinox wired headphone connector. Found this pic searching for more Equinox information equinox-minel.png

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a watertight connector. Similar to iPhone leaks. The part manufacturers are so proud to be associated with a stellar product so they post photos of the products that they make next to the main product showing its application.

IPhone case manufacturers were notorious from releasing these type of photos.

Thank you for sharing toddbbq

Vhoov

May 9, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro, Pro pointer AT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take it from a former professional photographer who shot Nikon for over 40 years . When Canon first started coming out with their digital cameras they were first in everything and Nikon seemed to drag their rears. I honestly was considered switching my full gear which included many lenses. However a little voice kept telling me to be patient. I was glad I was because Nikon came out swinging a few years later and they kicked butt with their superior more ergonomic and better resolution cameras..

Lesson: Be patient the competitors will not give up that easily. They may have something in the wings in their R&R department just waiting for the completion to release their flagship so they can acquire it and make something better.

My 2 cents

What a great analogy....i was thinking something similar the further I read then you said it perfectly.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

My 2 cents

Now I understand all the cool pics posted up :occasion14:

Vhoov

May 9, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel a bit jaded when I hear talk of new releases.... but when I learned from another thread about the Minelab Equinox I have to admit to feeling a bit excited! An affordable multi frequency waterproof lightweight detector.
As I joked in another thread about Nokta claiming "you spoke- we listened".... it appears Nokta had selective hearing with the Impact! We waited a long time for the release. It appears to be a good detector though. Another new release - the AT max- also appears to be OK (not many videos to be found). But it doe raise the question about what 'NEW' really means.
Im going to follow the equinox release very closely. I started out way back with a XT17000 and a big ol SD2000 with the rubbish bin lid coil in the gold fields. I recently came across an old sovereign XS2 and couldnt understand Minelabs gap between the xterra range and the safari and excal.... the sovereign left a gap that was never really filled.
I really thought FTP would be announcing something this year with the price shuffle of the F75 and moving the F70 platform to the patriot.
I for one will buy the Equinox if it is anything like they describe.

As I questioned in another thread, what will other manufacturers do if minelab produce this machine at the same pricepoint as all the single frequency , non waterproof, heavy(ish) machines that have been newly released?

Chub

Well, what is the consensus so far? My mom's boyfriend got one and he's killing it. He's a Tnetter, but doesn't post...guess that's an oxymoron.

I'm looking to buy another machine...question is do I want an Etrac, or an equinox?

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
I guess it would depend on what type of hunting. Water hunting, faster recovery, more lightweight, and seems to be pretty good is the equinox. A silver killer, deep machine, but not balanced well, heavy, but a proven deep seeker on coins is the etrac. I'm keeping my etrac. The nox will have to wait for me......

Vhoov

May 9, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess it would depend on what type of hunting. Water hunting, faster recovery, more lightweight, and seems to be pretty good is the equinox. A silver killer, deep machine, but not balanced well, heavy, but a proven deep seeker on coins is the etrac. I'm keeping my etrac. The nox will have to wait for me......

Thank you for your input, I hear they are great silver seekers (etrac). I'm just not sure what I want to get....im ready to upgrade. I run an ATPro.

Vhoov

May 9, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thank you for your input, I hear they are great silver seekers (etrac). I'm just not sure what I want to get....im ready to upgrade. I run an ATPro.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Equinox is like owning all the Garret AT detectors and then some due to its many frequencies it’s getting some amazing real reviews from our members.

It’s a great step up from the AT Pro.

68A7F896-B10F-4D7B-B067-AAF6C842EC6E.jpeg

One_more_hole

Jul 17, 2017
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Equinox 800; Explorer II; Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I almost don't want the technology to get better. It takes the mystery and wonder out of the hobby. Nothing stops progress though I guess.

Not sure if it’s true or not, but I read somewhere that the technology for a super detector is there, but manufacturers are hogtied by FCC regulations. They have to come up with designs within the restrictions.

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, OMH, but there’s is no FCC restriction in the way. The problem is physics. Tough laws there.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Vhoov if you use an ATPro you will love the Equinox. The 600 is in the same price range and every bit as good as the 800.I have both and love them both.The Equinox is a deep seeker. I have found quarters at 12".

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If you're thinking to upgrade, you are in for a really big surprise.
I lived in NYC for most of my life. The population has always been in the millions during my residency. People losing stuff for centuries.
In 2012, I upgraded to an AT PRO. A lighter, faster, waterproof machine. An improvement over the Garret CXII machine I was using. It seemed capable of doing it all.
In 2 years time, I had recovered 25 Silver Coins each year. The PRO paid for itself in 18 months in just clad alone. It recovered gold rings and was very good in fresh water. Then I decided to upgrade to an Etrac.
Totally different machine. My annual silver coin recovery jumped from 25 to 81 in the first year of using the Etrac. The second year produced 158 Silver Coins. Same parks in same city. The silver was there when I was using the AT PRO. Why didn't the PRO see these silvers? Different technologies. The Etrac can go deeper and unmask a Silver Coin that is in the same hole as an iron nail. It also screams at you when the coil goes over silver. The Etrac was the deal breaker when it came to customer loyalty. I still use a Garrett Carrot pin pointer but since purchasing the Etrac, I have purchased the CTX 3030, and
2 Excaliburs. I have also added the DEUS to my arsenal.
If you purchase the Etrac, you must be aware that the Etrac does not like water. I will not hunt in the rain with it. That is something I didn't worry about with the PRO.
If you look at the Equinox results that are coming in, you will see that it is a very capable machine. It has features that the AT PRO can not match and it is waterproof. Plus, salt water doesn't produce ghost signals. Add the fact that it is $500. to $600. cheaper than the Etrac. Well my choice would be to go with the Equinox 800, over the Etrac. The only issue with the Equinox's so far is the lack of waterproof headphones.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread