chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel a bit jaded when I hear talk of new releases.... but when I learned from another thread about the Minelab Equinox I have to admit to feeling a bit excited! An affordable multi frequency waterproof lightweight detector.
As I joked in another thread about Nokta claiming "you spoke- we listened".... it appears Nokta had selective hearing with the Impact! We waited a long time for the release. It appears to be a good detector though. Another new release - the AT max- also appears to be OK (not many videos to be found). But it doe raise the question about what 'NEW' really means.
Im going to follow the equinox release very closely. I started out way back with a XT17000 and a big ol SD2000 with the rubbish bin lid coil in the gold fields. I recently came across an old sovereign XS2 and couldnt understand Minelabs gap between the xterra range and the safari and excal.... the sovereign left a gap that was never really filled.
I really thought FTP would be announcing something this year with the price shuffle of the F75 and moving the F70 platform to the patriot.
I for one will buy the Equinox if it is anything like they describe.

As I questioned in another thread, what will other manufacturers do if minelab produce this machine at the same pricepoint as all the single frequency , non waterproof, heavy(ish) machines that have been newly released?

Chub

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I received an Email this morning from Minelab.
I was really, really Hoping to see the designation BBS (land) .

Expected retail prices are:
EQUINOX 600 USD 649
EQUINOX 800 USD 899

but am curious

http://www.minelab.com/customer-care/product-notices?article=319462
equinox-600-logo-colour.png
equinox-800-logo-colour.png
3 Detect Modes (Park, Field, Beach) 4 Detect Modes (Park, Field, Beach, Gold)
4 Frequency Options (5kHz, 10kHz, 15kHz, Multi) 6 Frequency Options (5kHz, 10kHz, 15kHz, 20kHz, 40kHz, Multi)
Wired Headphones Supplied Bluetooth Headphones and WM 08 Wireless Module Supplied

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
If the ability to discriminate out aluminum, yet still find gold is true, this will truly become a game changer.

MattPa

Aug 15, 2017
westerm PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I almost don't want the technology to get better. It takes the mystery and wonder out of the hobby. Nothing stops progress though I guess.

Agent Green

Jul 19, 2013
Midwest
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, Tesoro Silver Umax,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chub, I think the other companies are going to have to change their $$$ points.. The Equinox sounds like a great machine...

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
The other guys better crap something truly innovative if they're going to continue floging the single frequency horse.

If not, then perhaps the time for them has come to either step it up or hang it up.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I almost don't want the technology to get better. It takes the mystery and wonder out of the hobby. Nothing stops progress though I guess.

Yes but,
like Nickles in hunted out parks, imagine all the cool aluminum Tokens left for us :icon_thumleft:

treasuresalvor

Mar 14, 2011
Earth
Detector(s) used
A couple Sovereign's, Excalibur II, Eureka Gold, Falcon MD20, TM808, Sierra Madre, 5900 DIProsl, Garrett ADS III with Bloodhound, Fisher 1280x, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sounds like a great machine and I'm amazed at the low price compared to what they got out of the e trac and 3030. I'm personally not interested in this unit but it should be a hot machine for park hunters. Technology keeps on keepin on, it's hard to keep up.

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After months of focused curiosity about the AT Max, and it's endless delays, I saw this yesterday. Now my focus has shifted squarely to the Equinox. It almost sounds too good to be true and a price point that sounds too good to be true. kind of like the Max. But this one sounds way better. 2018 should be very interesting with reviews and comparisons of both....

OP
OP
C

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After months of focused curiosity about the AT Max, and it's endless delays, I saw this yesterday. Now my focus has shifted squarely to the Equinox. It almost sounds too good to be true and a price point that sounds too good to be true. kind of like the Max. But this one sounds way better. 2018 should be very interesting with reviews and comparisons of both....

Thanks Phish , it was your post that alerted me to the announcement. Normally Im leary of pre release spin but we all know minelab has the tech.

Chub

mossy99

Greenie
May 27, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,
Using a Deus and a CP4 PI at the moment but will follow all reports on the Equinox. Previous machines from this particular Company have always appeared to be pricey, which makes me wonder why bring out two models ie 600 and 800 when the majority of new purchasers will opt for the higher spec. Four dedicated search modes and 40 khz on the 800---seems a no brainer to me ! Mention a gold setting---surely the logical way forward. Good honest reports from old hands will be more help than any salesmen"s patter.! :icon_thumright: Mossy99

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Again, what am i missing? What are they not telling us? It don't make any sense. Why is this not the same price or higher than the E-trac. I had the E-trac and it was a depth monster for sure. The balance sucked making it feel like i was swinging a 2 by 6 but i loved the accuracy of the VDI.

Is this machine Equal to the E-trac or is it lacking in depth, VDI accuracy or both? Basicly, i question the lack of info they gave us. Yes they gave us features we all might like to have but how do they really work? how do they compare to whats already out there? Does it have a USB port for future software fixes or upgrades?

We saw a video of someone swinging over a few coins and an iron bar but again, no info on the settings. Was it single KHz or Multi ?

If it turns out to be everything they say it is, indeed the industry will be turned upside down and then what will happen to the CTX and E-trac?

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Again, what am i missing? What are they not telling us? It don't make any sense. Why is this not the same price or higher than the E-trac. I had the E-trac and it was a depth monster for sure. The balance sucked making it feel like i was swinging a 2 by 6 but i loved the accuracy of the VDI.

Is this machine Equal to the E-trac or is it lacking in depth, VDI accuracy or both? Basicly, i question the lack of info they gave us. Yes they gave us features we all might like to have but how do they really work? how do they compare to whats already out there? Does it have a USB port for future software fixes or upgrades?

We saw a video of someone swinging over a few coins and an iron bar but again, no info on the settings. Was it single KHz or Multi ?

If it turns out to be everything they say it is, indeed the industry will be turned upside down and then what will happen to the CTX and E-trac?

Time will tell. for some time I thought there was a gap in the minelab range. The local dealer here tells me the Xterra range just doesnt sell... the safari - while a good detector seems uninspiring , the e trac almost impossible to master (or at least use all its features) the 3030 unafordable to many. They dumped the sovereign ? strange move...
The 800 price range is right where the money is for most of us I guess. Look at cell phones... the tech became amazing and very affordable....along with cars where even the base models now are almost 'full house' with AC , power windows,airbags, disc brakes ,tinting etc etc

Perhaps we dont know the full picture, maybe the e trac will die and the CTX is headed for a crazy upgrade?

Chub

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Equinox was just introduce, be patient and Minelab will release more info in the coming weeks.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why do we have to wait? They built the machine, they know what it can and can not do. Why not give the info right out of the gate?

If it has what i want in a machine i will be in line with everyone else.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why do we have to wait? They built the machine, they know what it can and can not do. Why not give the info right out of the gate?

If it has what i want in a machine i will be in line with everyone else.

You have to wait because none of that info has been released to Minelab America yet. You can call Australia and ask them.

Last edited:

warfighter

Tenderfoot
Sep 16, 2016
Surrounded by police in a hail of gunfire
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus, Garrett AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
After guiding disabled vets for the last couple years with all the major machine like the AT-Pro, Deus and CTX 3030 I am fully interested in the new equinox for a couple reasons. its weight, waterproof and speed with depth. From all the video I have seen thus far this machine is bliningly fast compared to the Deus, it discrimintaes as well as the 3030 and it priced affordable akin to to the AT-pro category. I will be buying 8 of them right out of the gate to use full time on our guided hunts since the machines lend themselves well to the new user or first time detectorist. Since brandon niece is using it as his go-to machine from now on I have to side with his judgement at this point. I wont sell our other machines because they will still have a use and I am still fond of the 3030 and deus for certiain types of hunting but I am really stoked on all I have read and watched.

OP
OP
C

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to wait because none of that info has been released to Minelab America yet. You can call Australia and ask them.

I called another dealer here in the southern hemisphere ...and nope....they knew as much as I did

Chub

OP
OP
C

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I called another dealer here in the southern hemisphere ...and nope....they knew as much as I did

Chub

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Chub

I said he could call, didn't say they would say anything. :tongue3: Minelab is always very tight lip on new releases, not even letting employees know until just before the release.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions