Silverdrake

Greenie
Aug 7, 2017
Mo
Detector(s) used
Garret
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've saved up enough cabellas points and I'm upgrading from my old bounty hunter pin pointer.
The Orange pro pointer AT and the black pro pointer II both sell for $130. I don't detect in the water really so my question is does the II outperform the AT?
Cabellas also sells the whites bullseye for 160 but is sold out of the minelab pro- find. I've never been able to field test any of these. I wouldn't mind paying the extra 30 for the whites if it is a better machine. I know these aren't the best prices but like i said, I'm using points. After all, the best things in life are free! :tongue3:

Upvote 0

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I have the carrot and the TRX and I can’t really say I like either of them. Maybe I’m doing something wrong but it seem not to get the sensitivity I’m looking for. With the carrot I always have to click it twice and maybe and I mean maybe I’ll get the single. I basically have to destroy a plug to get a single. My TRX keeps making noise even when it’s not near anything and I always have to turn it off then turn it back on. Am I doing something wrong? I’ve had the worst luck with pinpointers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With the TRX, place the tip on the ground when you turn it on. Wait a couple seconds. That will calm it down.

As far as Deteknix, mine which I've owned for a couple years is still working great. No complaints

Last edited:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Orange is the new black!

I like my orange pin pointer, like Bladerunner said, put a protector on the tip, so it does not wear out on the dirt.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you do not hunt water get the simple black Garrett. rain will not hurt it. The carrot has a lot of new settings for sideways and such which you do not need. The old black one is much quicker to use and you do not have to fiddle with it either. I have both and have detected for years. Sometimes simple gets you to your target quicker.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here’s another one just announced today

☠ Cipher

Aug 16, 2016
Middleburgh, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites: Spectra V3i, MX Sport, Bullseye TRX. Fisher: F75 LTD, 1280-X, F2. XP: Deus. Minelab: X-terra 70, Garrett: AT Pro, Ace 250, Propointer II. Tesoro: Compadre. Bounty Hunter: LRP, QDP, 3300, 2200,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The TRX has the most range of any pinpointer I've ever used. I choose it by far. That plus the replaceable shells make it well worth it in my opinion. Although it may be relegated to Backup if any of these new pinpointers from FT have an iron tone.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
☠ Cipher;5576045 said:
The TRX has the most range of any pinpointer I've ever used. I choose it by far. That plus the replaceable shells make it well worth it in my opinion. Although it may be relegated to Backup if any of these new pinpointers from FT have an iron tone.

A distant tweet told me that we could very much see equal or better sensitivity out of one of the new pointers. I am with you on the TRX but I keep an open mind for new products.

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
try getting the Detectorpro-Pistol-Probe-Pulse-Pinpointer
with it i can pick up a dime at 6 inches

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went through a couple of those and both failed plus the door kept falling off, very shoddy construction. It also caused some very strange looks from others around the tot lots. Ill stick with my TRX for now until these new items come out and I have yet another chance to play with a new toy.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I went through a couple of those and both failed plus the door kept falling off, very shoddy construction. It also caused some very strange looks from others around the tot lots. Ill stick with my TRX for now until these new items come out and I have yet another chance to play with a new toy.

I still have my Pistol Probe, as well as many others. The Pistol does range farther than the TRX. The TRX has superior quality in built, and many added features.

The main complaint I have for the Pistol is low audio tone, WAY low. The Pistol basically stayed "like new" and unused until forgot my pointers in a hunt one day. I dug 2 Barber quarters and a Barber dime, plus a Buffalo nickel that hunt. That was my best day at that particular, public hunt spot. First Barber quarter was 9 inches and the Pistol was keen seeing it being deeper after the hole was opened up.

All in all though, the TRX beats it in practical use, yet not as deep. I personally don't find the TRX as loud as I'd like either though. My favorite brand for my ears are the Garretts. I also spend more time in the hole with the TRX, and especially more time after the target is in the pile of dug dirt, being that it has detection only on the tip.

I rank the Carrot first. The TRX second. I carry both in hunts. You can't go wrong with either. My Pistol Probe surely has superior depth. It is cheaply made and IMO, can't be effectively used with headphones during the retrieval.

My concern with the Minelabs is there customer service time if there's a problem. They are low audio as well, but about the same as the TRX.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions