Are there any treasure legends in Oregon?

BuffaloHunter

Jun 26, 2017
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600. Garrett ProPointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I'm sure there's treasure legends in all 50 states. Treasure stories are a dime a dozen. You will bump into people all the time, that .... once they learn of your hobby, will spin all sorts of tales. I wish I had a dollar for every doozie I've heard :)

IMHO: You will grow frustrated if this your venue of md'ing. Besides, if caches are your objective, then IMHO you got the wrong detector. The AT pro is a coin/relic machine. Sure it will find toaster and jar sized items. But if toaster and jar (cache) sized items are your primary objective, then you'd be better served by getting a 2-box detector. They will not find anything smaller than a soda can. The perfect discriminator for pesky individual coins, nails, tabs, etc...

And even then I still wouldn't waste time with the usual camp-fire-lore legend stuff. Instead, simply take a 2-box unit around enough ruins, ghost-townsy sites, old town building teardowns, etc... And you'll eventually stumble on a bread & butter cache. The only stories I would pursue are if they came directly from a descendant. Eg.: "Grandpa buried his stuff someone in the yard and it was never found", etc... NOT the stuff you read in the TH'ing magazines of the 1970s, or books that assembled collections of lore (lost dutchman, blah blah)

JMHO

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread