Worst house hunting day ever

foiled_again

Jan 29, 2013
DFW area, TX
Detector(s) used
CZ7a, Compadre (wader mod), Land Ranger Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With apologies to those of you who may have been bitten by rattlesnakes, fallen and broken a leg, had a car accident on the way to the field, or had similar misadventures, allow me to whine about the lousy day I had last Thursday, knocking doors on old houses and looking for a place to try out my new F75. As follows:

--I spotted an old house up on blocks on a lot that was completely torn up, all vegetation stripped off and piles of dirt all around. It looked like the house was being moved off. I asked the workmen who were there if the owner was around...he had gone to the post office. They mentioned that the house had been built in 1857 and they were just re-doing the foundation. I waited around half an hour for the owner in a frenzy of excitement...when he arrived I asked my questions and he said that, well, he has a friend who metal detects, and he had promised the friend he could have a crack at the place, so the answer was no. And he remarked that he had already found an Indian Head penny in the soil (I have found ONE Indian Head penny in my LIFE and nobody but me could even recognize it...). Well, I said, did he know anything about the house next door? It looked pretty old too. And he said that that house was actually his, and he didn't want anybody in the yard.

So I left.

--Then I came upon a rather average looking place with bungalow type architecture...1919 vintage according to the County Assessor. I knocked and the lady of the house said, well, her husband also metal detects and had done the yard very thoroughly. Did he find anything? I ask (the answer is almost always, nothing but some bits of metal and junk). Why, yes, she said, he'd found quite a lot.

So I left.

--Here and there I also knocked another five or so houses, where there were cars in the driveway and it seemed like people were home. But no answer.

So I left.

--Then I came upon an abandoned house with a Notice of Violation sticker on the door. No fences and a corner lot so the back and front were both accessible. There was a contractor's sign in the front yard, so I called in hopes they could put me in contact with the owner. It turned out that the contractor himself was the owner. He deeply appreciated my courtesy and respect in calling for permission to hunt the yard. But he couldn't grant it due to Liability Concerns (I guess he could tell my propensity for falling down even over the phone).

So I went home, never having even turned the detector on.

Upvote 0

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have thought about getting business cards made that have a theme of history. First, it makes you appear professional to a home/land owner. Second, if you leave them your card with contact information, they may change their mind and possibly call you at a later time granting permission.
I have a theory that when introducing yourself to a home/land owner it is best not to divulge everything you may already know about their property from your research. It can appear "creepy" or suspicious to some that a stranger knows so much about a person's property even though it is accessible public information.

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry about your luck, we have all had days like that. Don't let it get you down, there are many others that will give you permission.

OP
OP
foiled_again

foiled_again

Jan 29, 2013
DFW area, TX
Detector(s) used
CZ7a, Compadre (wader mod), Land Ranger Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I run about 75% "yes" responses to my door knocking so I really can't complain (though I do). It was just that that one place was SO promising.

So I was out there the next day, got permission at a place (site 51) and found four zincs and a clad dime. And so it goes.

They're out there, somewhere...maybe that site 52 I'm going to hit on Tuesday...

Silver Saver

Mar 15, 2017
Center of North America
Detector(s) used
Etrac- Sunray x5, x8, x12. Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those days with rejection like that sure suck, then I usually just move on to a public place. That's the main good thing about public places is not having to deal with the whole asking, rejection, and being on other people's property part. But houses are just better hunting grounds for the most part, and I'm so thankful to those nice people that allow me to do so. And each day is a new day to shake it off and give it another go as you did.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have thought about getting business cards made that have a theme of history. First, it makes you appear professional to a home/land owner. Second, if you leave them your card with contact information, they may change their mind and possibly call you at a later time granting permission.
I have a theory that when introducing yourself to a home/land owner it is best not to divulge everything you may already know about their property from your research. It can appear "creepy" or suspicious to some that a stranger knows so much about a person's property even though it is accessible public information.

Doesn't help, in my opinion. Not upfront, and most CERTAINLY not later. I have handed out dozens... all summer long, and have yet to have one callback, text, or email as a result. They don't cost much, and can't hurt, but I would advise you don't put much hope in them actually helping with getting permissions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread