Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This summer, my brother and I got to work metal detecting an abandoned turn of the century logging camp. We spent many mornings and afternoons exploring and discovering relics from a time that has long since past. From saw blades, lanterns and ax heads to buckles, buttons and brooches, these relics define a truly American way of life. We have documented our finds through a series of videos on the “Quin’s Coins” YouTube channel, but these hardly tell the full story. That is why we have decided to release images of our finds. These images will be accompanied by short excerpts in an attempt to explain how these items ended up where they were. This way, we can bring together the broken pieces of the past to tell a story that has long since been forgotten. Ladies and gentlemen...welcome to the logging camp.

21587118_1993328810914955_8348919796167651553_o.jpg 21458038_1993328804248289_8882291579785521014_o.jpg 21427387_1993328807581622_4480279140528879077_o.jpg 21414767_1993328767581626_8274955482763485205_o.jpg 21457754_1993328564248313_6607430259931746569_o.jpg

In case you are interested in seeing these hunts from the summer of '17, this is the first video in the series.

Upvote 0

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great video. You sure toughed it out swinging in the tall grass. Hit it next spring after the weeds are dead. Did you find any log stamps, chains, peaveys? Years ago, here on TreasureNet, there was a fellow by the name of Michigan Badger, who used to dig logging camps.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
sweet finds :weee:

scruggs

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2008
Northern Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very good story and exceptional relics you brought back to light. Hope you find many more!

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great video. You sure toughed it out swinging in the tall grass. Hit it next spring after the weeds are dead. Did you find any log stamps, chains, peaveys? Years ago, here on TreasureNet, there was a fellow by the name of Michigan Badger, who used to dig logging camps.

My brother is still in the area and he plans to hit it in October when he gits a chance. Might even bring a weed wacker back there to take down some dead ferns. Haven't found any peaveys or log stamps yet. Peaveys were used to control logs floating in water, correct?

We have found plenty of ax heads and two-man saw fragments. Actually, one of the coolest pieces that came out was a fly wheel. That will make an appearance in a future post for sure- I will continue to update this thread with new pictures and stories so stay tuned!

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pike poles were used to maneuver logs in the water. Peaveys were used to roll logs on the ground or were used to load logs on to RR cars and other uses. Peaveys and cant hooks serve the same purpose. Cant hooks have points on the end, cant hooks are blunt on the end.

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These posts will follow the life of John Prosen, a fictional lumber camp employee working in the heart of Michigan’s upper peninsula in the early 1900s. John has just been hired and is preparing to move into the woods to begin work. These are the items he has chosen to bring with him.
“I will need a jackknife - as I will be literally a jack of all trades. Although my official job is sawyer, there is never a time a knife is not needed! Even in recreation - wood carving, throwing contests...and I imagine I will be getting quite a few slivers in my hands with this work. Come to think of it, I haven't been without this knife since my dad gave it to me on my 8th birthday.
Pencils, of course, to write letters to my family downstate. Although the postmaster can't assure my letters will get through in a timely manner - my mother and sisters will want to know that I am ok. This is the first time I have been away from home, and starting right off in this unforgiving wilderness so far away will be hard for me too.
Although I have been told I don't need to bring eating utensils, this drinking cup is special to me. My Grandmother gave it to me on my first communion, and I can't imagine being without it. Of course, I may use it differently - maybe baptize myself with some stronger spirits at those bars I've heard about in Seney…”

N-BotanicalGardens-article-3 col..jpg IMG_3840.JPG
IMG_3888.JPG IMG_3985.JPG

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wait til you find yourself a copper dinner plate to go with that cup. Then you will really be excited!!

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Subscribed to your channel. Looking forward to seeing the rest of your videos.

Are you in the U.P.? I spend a number of years up there as a kid and young man. My grandfather worked in a logging camp up there when he was a young man. Perhaps you'll find something of his!

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Subscribed to your channel. Looking forward to seeing the rest of your videos.

Are you in the U.P.? I spend a number of years up there as a kid and young man. My grandfather worked in a logging camp up there when he was a young man. Perhaps you'll find something of his!

Thanks Iron Buzz! I am not actually in the UP, but I have a lot of family history there. It turns out that John Prosen, the "fictional" character I am basing these posts on, was a real person who lived and worked in the UP. He would have been my great great Uncle.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Iron Buzz! I am not actually in the UP, but I have a lot of family history there. It turns out that John Prosen, the "fictional" character I am basing these posts on, was a real person who lived and worked in the UP. He would have been my great great Uncle.

Can you point me to the video(s?) with the logging camp detecting? I see that you have a lot of coin roll hunting, which I'm not interested in.

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you point me to the video(s?) with the logging camp detecting? I see that you have a lot of coin roll hunting, which I'm not interested in.

And I thought I was the only one not interested in coins.

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the continued story of John Prosen, a fictional turn-of-the-century logging camp employee who lived and worked in the heart of Michigan's Upper Peninsula. Pictured relics were found by Ryan and Kevin Quinlan in the Summer of 2017.

"We are deep into the logging season now that it is winter. I am finding that some of my work clothes need to be replaced as they have worn out. We sure go through a lot of coveralls and work coats in the camp! I need to make a trip to the company store soon to pick up some more. There is a decent selection and it is kept well stocked, and whatever I purchase there is taken from my wages.

The standard outfit for working in the woods is a flannel shirt, wool mackinaw jacket and pants, short rubber boots, and wool caps and socks. Many, many socks, and all dried inside the bunkhouse every night. I think I am becoming immune to the smell! I hear the river drivers wear tall caulked (spiked) boots and shorten their pants so they don’t get caught in the logjams. I haven’t seen that yet, as this is my first year here.

Shirts and jackets are often very colorful for visibility – everyone needs to be aware of where everyone else is in this line of work! I heard a funny story about the mackinaw jackets – I guess they were originally commissioned to be made from blue blankets for a military unit, but they ran out of blue blankets and had to finish up with red and the red/black checkered plaid that everyone wears now!

Sometimes, if our clothes are dry, we sleep in them. However, when they get wet we need to dry them at night while we sleep. And those socks always need mending! That’s another pastime (necessity) when the work day is done! On Sundays we can wash and disinfect our clothes in a pot of boiling water. I try to do that at least every other week, but some of the guys don’t do it much at all (another smell I am becoming immune to…). If a photographer comes by (usually on a Sunday), we all try to put on our best clothes for the picture.

So I guess I am off to the company store for more clothes!"

pf057729.jpg
IMG_3774.JPG IMG_3775.JPG IMG_3776.JPG
IMG_3790.JPG IMG_3865.JPG IMG_3868.JPG

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the relic hunting! :occasion14:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting. I have about 6 acres up on a hill. There is a spring up there as well as the remains of a slate quarry. Halfway up there is a buried set of rails that were used by the early lumber trade, to get the timber to a place where it could be transferred to a mill. I'm going to have to pay a little more attention to the early history of my property.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like those double bit axes. I carry one in my truck. The really sharp bit is for wood and the other bit is for grubbing roots.
Marvin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread