POLL: Is the Latest Detector ALWAYS the Best?

Me

Aug 13, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre
Upvote 0

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
It most always improves but not necessarily in depth of targets located. Some times they improve the pinpointing or add more tones. Usually it's the ability to tweak the machine more to your liking for your hunting preference. I can't think of any detector that got worse with the introduction of the next generation. I know the machine I used ten years ago can't come close to the newer machines for depth or accuracy.

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
The guy who knows his machine well, will allway´s win against the one that doesn´t, no matter how good the others machine is !

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some still want to believe that the claims made by some manufactures that the new detector gets, "20% more depth" than last years model just because it is printed. If that were true we'd all be digging to China for the beep we heard. Newer technology usually means it has faster circuits for better discrimination or improved battery usage. Detectors better able to handle extremes in temp and humidity. We used to have one freq. detectors and now we have 28 freq. not counting the 100 on PI's.

No, the equipement has improved, but a hunter that really knows his machine will in most cases find more that someone that has not mastered their detector.

TimC (North Alabama)

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2007
Cullman, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelabs-Garretts-Fishers-Teknetics-Whites-Nautilus-Tesoros'
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a big believer in knowing you detector, I currently run two of the best selling detectors on the market (DFX and Explorer SE) that holds there own against each other fairly well and while knowing both ok, I can still dance circles around them with my old Garrett ADS III that I've used since the early 80's. Knowing the machine is KEY, inside and out with every sound and creek it makes still brings new finds. Servicing the unit is also important. I just received mine back form East Texas Metal Detectors (BrokenDetectors.com) where they tore it down, cleaned and serviced it and sent it back good as new all for less than 80.00. True, the machine, if bought today would not be worth that, but the point is you have to know the detector to make the really good finds and while there is no doubt that I will surpass the ADS with the newer machines in the future, for now the Old Friend is still top dog in the relationship department (besides the wife), at least for the time being. So I guess the moral of the story is that the new technology is only as good as you know it.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on the Person using it.

I still think the Sovereign is better then the Explorer.
and I'm not sure the GT is an Improvenment over the XS-2

But That is "My Opinion"

as far as any new detector,
I would Never buy something "Hot off the Production line"

I always wait till it's been used for several years.
So I can read all the Feedback.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread