Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys

There’s so many mental detectors on the market, hoping you guys could help.

This would be my first time owning a dectector. Looking to spend 100-450$.

I would like to dectect gold and silver with a depth of 6” to 12”.

I’ve been looking at the Garrett ace 250. Just not sure if it’s any good.

gold at 6 to 12 inches is a tall order for a cheap machine like that.

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are much better detectors for gold then the ace 250. Maybe a second hand Tesoro Lobo Super Traq? I found 8 times gold with the Lobo the past 12 months. And if you put an extra 10x12" coil from Tesoro or the 13" Detech Ultimate coil then the Lobo also goes deep.

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Look at the classifieds on the metal detecting forums. Most machines really depreciate in value from their original new price. A lot of people get into this hobby and find out they don't have the time or patience needed to be successful. There are some really good deals going right now. Since Minelab announced its new Equinox, a lot of folks are selling off what they presently own to pre-order this new machine. I believe that once a definitive release date is announced, the closer that day comes, the better the deals will be on pre-owned machines that forum members are looking to sell. Winter is coming soon; if you aren't in a hurry, be patient, you will be able to get a killer deal. Just my $.02

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where are you located? Will you be hunting salt water beaches, yards, fields ? I am a coin shooter that appreciates cool relics and some bling. There are many mid range machines that can hunt yards, fields and woods, but if you are hunting salt water you will need to fork out more cash than your budget.

Last edited:

bowser

Feb 27, 2007
SOUTH WEYMOUTH MA.
Detector(s) used
PRISM11 MXT IDX PRO TESORO COMPARDRE T2 se
Primary Interest:
Other
Call Dennis at METALDETECTORS,COM for any detectors or accessaries great prices

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
bounty hunter time ranger

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Technetics patriot ( Fisher F70 ) is good value. The technetics eurotek pro is a good bang for your buck detector. As asked by Loco- where are you planning to dig?

Most detetcors will NOT work well at the wet beach.... I wish someone had told me that when I started.

Chub

Shane508

Sep 19, 2017
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's going to be your first, I'd recommend spending as little as possible, just to make sure it's something you're going to stick with. It would be silly to buy a $450 detector, and then realize after one hunt that this hobby is not for you.

I bought the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, which is only $100. I've used it for the past month, and am addicted. It works well, but is not great at discrimination, so you're going to get a lot of iron.

I don't have the money to upgrade too much, but for about $50 more, you can get the Bounty Hunter Quicksilver, which has a digital screen and looks to be much better with discriminating certain metals. I'll be buying that one this week.

So I'd recommend either the Tracker IV or the Quicksilver.

Silver Saver

Mar 15, 2017
Center of North America
Detector(s) used
Etrac- Sunray x5, x8, x12. Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking the same as chub, Eurotek pro on the low end, maybe with the 11" DD coil upgrade. Or teknetics Patriot on the upper end.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
R0CKY all the big manufactures have good machines in your price range especially if you are not going to submerge the control unit in water while detecting. What kind of sounds do you like, I recommend you look around online and watch some videos of many makes. You will notice that Garrett's have a bell tone, Minelab's make a Bwoop Bwoop sound, Tesoros have a monotone and the rest have what I call standard tones. I normally run discrimination in most yards, parks, and schools but in the fields I do not run any. In your price range, here are a few to look at. I like DD coils much more than concentric coils, they seem to give a more stable Target ID in my experience, yet others love concentric coils.

Standard Tones Detectors

Teknetics Eurotek Pro
Teknetics Delta
Used Teknetics T2

Fisher F2 w/DD coil
Fisher F44 w/DD coil
Used Fisher F75 with DST upgrade

Whites TREASUREpro
Used Whites MX Sport (waterproof)
Used Whites MX All-Pro

Used Nokta FORS Relic

Bell Tones
Ace 300
Ace 400
Used AT Pro (waterproof)

BWOOP BWOOP sound

used Minelab 705

Mono Tone

Tesoro Mohave
Tesoro Vaquero

I use the Kellyco site to review machines specs. I believe you can review 4 (max) side by side. Please watch videos on the ones I listed above and others that pique your interest. I like to see target ID numbers, not ranges only like the Ace*50 series. If you want to go by tone only and do not need a screen, then get a Tesoro (lifetime warranty). Minelab has a huge following, but they do not lose much value and most would be out of your price range. I also foresee their resale value will decrease after the release of the new Equinox.

My main detector is the Fisher F75LTD. I love the way it feels, the ease of use, it's not too heavy and I have many choices for tones.

The more you spend, the more bells and whistles you get. I highly recommend you get a detector that can be ground balanced.

Good Luck with whichever you choose.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're after tiny gold nuggets, you need a machine made for that. There are none in your price range unless you luck into a good used one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread