interesting question

Redsumit

May 17, 2007
OK on an old farm from about 1900's to 1930ish has an old potato cellar.now from the rite back corner of the old cellar about 15 to 30 feet is a circular hole built up w/ stone, which is between the old house foundation which is about 50 to 60 yards away. my question is, how do i tell if that was a cistern OR a well? i would think that either has different aspects of MDing. somehow. wouldn't a cistern be closer 2 the house. ohh this hole is uncovered and about 10 to 15 ft deep today. any help would be great. diameter is bout 2 ft

Upvote 0

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
I think a cistern would be wider than 2 ft., and have a stone or concrete bottom

Is the bottom stone like the sides, or is it dirt...if it is dirt it could be a well that was filled in.

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
A well, a cistern would be a lot wider

detectordave

Apr 6, 2005
Ann Arbor Meechigan
Detector(s) used
DFX WITH DX-1 PROBE AND XLT WITH XL-1 PROBE
Could it be a "fake" well maybe for planting flowers? Just for decoration. I only say this because I hunted an old farmhouse once that had something similiar. Was just for looks. Hh dave.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
might be a water source for use during storms --whille hiding in the storm shelter--- ala "wizard of oz " style

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
50 - 60 yds from the house seems like a long ways for a well or a outhouse.Don't know the lay of the land tho.Could there have been a cabin closer to it? 15' deep x 2' dia?That's pretty deep to dig by hand in only a 2' dia.Be hard to get the shovel of dirt up and stand in the hole at the same time.

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
Big Elephant in mating mood, and none of the fairer species to hand LOL
Probably drilled and originally fitted with a pump (Hand or mechanical/electrical driven)
HH Ray

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread