Which detector to buy - coins, civil war artifacts, etc .... $1000+

soimcrazy

Greenie
Feb 24, 2008
Looking to buy my wife a decent metal detector for xmas. She enjoys detecting and has a Garrett Ace 250. Not much of a detector so want to upgrade to a much better detector.

Looking around I see a couple of possibilities:
--Garrett GTI 2500
---Whites Spectra V3I
---Whites TDI SL
---Whites Spectra VX3

Will be doing her detecting in Virginia in fields and woods looking mostly for civil war artifacts and coins. NOT beach hunting gold prospecting.

I don't mind spending $1000 or so on a decent detector that SHE WILL ENJOY and will not be a DISAPPOINTMENT.

What do you guys think is my best bet?

Upvote 0

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Whites Spectra V3I is the best of these 4 detectors but is so heavy. Why not an XP Deus ? Light and one of the best allround machines on the market.

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure on those other detectors, as I've never used any of them. I use a minelab Safari, and I can tell you that it's the best machine I've ever used. It has fbs technology, goes deep, silver magnet, everything. It is a noisy detector, but every noise tells you what you are on. The machine literally talks to you. This detector can feel a little heavy when swinging for some time.

If she is used to Garrett, then I'd upgrade to at pro. If she'd like something different, the safari is a monster.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you have some good suggestions here, let me add the mx sport. Its been a great relic machine for me, but doesn't have the learning curve of the spectra series. Also I hear great things about the deus for a relic machine as well.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Makro Racer 2

BuffaloHunter

Jun 26, 2017
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600. Garrett ProPointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The AT Pro is also a good relic machine.. I've heard good things about the Deus though,

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looking to buy my wife a decent metal detector for xmas. She enjoys detecting and has a Garrett Ace 250. Not much of a detector so want to upgrade to a much better detector.

--Garrett GTI 2500
---Whites Spectra V3I
---Whites TDI SL
---Whites Spectra VX3

Will be doing her detecting in Virginia in fields and woods looking mostly for civil war artifacts and coins. NOT beach hunting gold prospecting.

I don't mind spending $1000 or so on a decent detector that SHE WILL ENJOY and will not be a DISAPPOINTMENT.

She likes detecting and uses a Garrett Ace 250, so the hard part is over, she likes detecting and while using an Ace 250. Why not just get her an AT Max, AT Pro? Its your money and don't be offended but spending $1000+ won't guarantee happiness or better finds. If she likes the Garrett format then stick with Garrett. The AT series has been a proven success and is lightweight plus a lot less than $1000. The learning curve with an AT model will be a lot less than with a White's Spectra series and the AT will be a lot lighter to swing than a GTI 2500. You are a blessed man to have a wife that is interested in detecting. Spending a lot of money on your wife is impressive but maybe not necessary in this case. A capable and lightweight machine which she can learn fast and swing all day while finding the goodies will not be a disappointment to her. The time you spend together in this awesome hobby is priceless. Good luck with whatever you decide.:icon_thumright:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
White's MXT Pro! Just don't borrow it from the wife because she will probably never get it back. The Minelab E-Trac is another good choice and the same applies as before.

Frank

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's going to be her machine, I'd get the Deus. Light weight and does well in bad ground and iron infested sites. The F75, E-trac, and CTX do the job well too, but are a lot heavier. Use a sling with those.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it's going to be her machine, I'd get the Deus. Light weight and does well in bad ground and iron infested sites. The F75, E-trac, and CTX do the job well too, but are a lot heavier. Use a sling with those.

I agree about the Deus being light and a great choice for his wife, but I want to point out the fact that the F75 is not as heavy as the E-trac or CTX. It's very well balanced unless you throw a 15" coin on it. I see there is an F75LTD with 2 coils for sale from a charter member here on the forum for a good price ($600).
here's the link:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/treasure-related-stuff-sale/556577-black-fisher-f75-dst-boost-cache-f75ltd2-limited-edition.html

SteveJJ

May 18, 2015
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher F75 (for sale)
Fisher Gold Bug 2
White's TDI SL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure liking my Fisher F75 a lot. But I've just bought a TDI SL and a Gold Bug 2 for nugget hunting. I think the three will cover my wants/needs very well, but I'm eager to read comparative reviews once the Minelab Equinox 800 comes out.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Deus weighs about as much as a Big Mac. Lightweight, portable, and the beast sucks relics and gold right out of the ground. It is also easy to use. No real learning curve for general use. Pick your program and go.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If she is experienced Id go with something really awesome. But a new person I would go with a mid range detector. You have some now with waterproof and weatherproof options. Besdides the MX Sport made by whites, Fisher has the F44, Garret has the AT Max, and Minelab has the Nox. For relics I have found my AT Pro with the 5x8 coil outstanding. The F75 will go deep and easy on batteries, very sensitive. The Etrac will sniff out coins all day long. Just depends on how much gear you wanna haul around.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the ladies, check the weights of the machines. Another 8 ounces of weight can turn a good machine into a doorstop. Or a boat anchor.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Deus... that way YOU can use it too.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She likes detecting and uses a Garrett Ace 250, so the hard part is over, she likes detecting and while using an Ace 250. Why not just get her an AT Max, AT Pro? Its your money and don't be offended but spending $1000+ won't guarantee happiness or better finds. If she likes the Garrett format then stick with Garrett. The AT series has been a proven success and is lightweight plus a lot less than $1000. The learning curve with an AT model will be a lot less than with a White's Spectra series and the AT will be a lot lighter to swing than a GTI 2500. You are a blessed man to have a wife that is interested in detecting. Spending a lot of money on your wife is impressive but maybe not necessary in this case. A capable and lightweight machine which she can learn fast and swing all day while finding the goodies will not be a disappointment to her. The time you spend together in this awesome hobby is priceless. Good luck with whatever you decide.:icon_thumright:

GOOD REPLY----------------I agree, stick with one you are at least familiar with.
Marvin

bowser

Feb 27, 2007
SOUTH WEYMOUTH MA.
Detector(s) used
PRISM11 MXT IDX PRO TESORO COMPARDRE T2 se
Primary Interest:
Other
Call Dennis at METADETECTORS.COM for a detector at a discounted price free shipping

junkhunt

Feb 21, 2017
North Central Arkansas
Detector(s) used
white's eagle spectrum , White's Spectra V3i, Garrett AT Pro. Garrett AT Pen pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

--Garrett GTI 2500
---Whites Spectra V3I
---Whites TDI SL
---Whites Spectra VX3

Whites Spectra V3I without a doubt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions