My father is killing it this year, i'm not.

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
My dad is my hunting partner, and he is retired. He is really killing it this year with silver making me look like a beginner. He has found more overall silver, more quarters, more dimes. He got about 5 years experience vs my 20+. His weapon of choice is the Deus. Mine is the CTX.

In all honesty, my motivation is not as strong as his. He always wants to go, but im stuck at work until late and now its now dark when I get home. The weekend comes and im so burnt out I don't feel like going.

So I don't know where this leaves me. I want to get my motivation back, and I know how, but the issue for me is, everywhere close is beat to death. Even researching obscure places I find they have already been picked over. Maybe I will start filming my hunts again.

Example: I located a remote baseball field from the 1930's on top of a mountain. The quickest way there(which was straight up the mountain) took 35 mins to climb up there. The other way up was an extremely long winding path which I calculated would of took more than an hour. After a long search all we found was a few wheats and three silver dimes.

Anyway, just shooting a rant and getting some issues out there. I am hoping the new Minelab EQ will dial me back in.

Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My dad is my hunting partner, and he is retired. He is really killing it this year with silver making me look like a beginner. He has found more overall silver, more quarters, more dimes. He got about 5 years experience vs my 20+. His weapon of choice is the Deus. Mine is the CTX.

In all honesty, my motivation is not as strong as his. He always wants to go, but im stuck at work until late and now its now dark when I get home. The weekend comes and im so burnt out I don't feel like going.

So I don't know where this leaves me. I want to get my motivation back, and I know how, but the issue for me is, everywhere close is beat to death. Even researching obscure places I find they have already been picked over. Maybe I will start filming my hunts again.

Example: I located a remote baseball field from the 1930's on top of a mountain. The quickest way there(which was straight up the mountain) took 35 mins to climb up there. The other way up was an extremely long winding path which I calculated would of took more than an hour. After a long search all we found was a few wheats and three silver dimes.

Anyway, just shooting a rant and getting some issues out there. I am hoping the new Minelab EQ will dial me back in.

What area are you in? maybe you just need an outside perspective to find a few new spots that light a fire under your butt. I would be happy to look for you if you give me a town name.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Food for thought: Your pops is doing well, that's a good thing. Perhaps the "finds" aren't the treasure after all, maybe being outside enjoying the fresh air with dad is the real treasure. You will remember these times for the rest of your life.

I don't have a relationship with my father, so I guess I will never experience that first hand.

OP
OP
B

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
What area are you in? maybe you just need an outside perspective to find a few new spots that light a fire under your butt. I would be happy to look for you if you give me a town name.

Thank you. That is a nice offer. I wouldn't feel right if you did that though. Thanks anyway.

Carolina Tom

I agree with you. Spending the time with my father(and mother) is absolutely priceless. They are great people for sure. Fresh air is good too. Im not a silver fiend. I like finding it once in a while doesn't have to be all the time. It has been a few months since I found more rare older coins and THAT is what motivates me!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you. That is a nice offer. I wouldn't feel right if you did that though. Thanks anyway.

Carolina Tom

I agree with you. Spending the time with my father(and mother) is absolutely priceless. They are great people for sure. Fresh air is good too. Im not a silver fiend. I like finding it once in a while doesn't have to be all the time. It has been a few months since I found more rare older coins and THAT is what motivates me!

I agree about the old coins. I live in NC, and travel to NJ/NY to hunt because I can't find what I REALLY like locally. If it was easy, I doubt that I would be so interested in it.

Thanks for the nice reply. Karma should reward you shortly!

Best of luck to you sir!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey b3y0nd3r I can sympathize with you. Back in 2014 when I got bit by the detecting bug I hunted 12 to 14 hours per day on the weekends and about 2 hours per night during the summer and early fall.

In 2015 I slowed down to maybe 1 night a week and 8 hours per day on the weekends but did take a week off from work in Sept. for a detecting stay-cation which has turned into an annual thing.

Last year the wife made a few comments regarding the hobby and my lack of spending quality time with her, so I dropped down to about 6 hours per weekend day and maybe one 2 hr night hunt per month during the summer and fall.

This year I am down to about 4 to 5 hours per weekend day and maybe a couple evening hunts per year. I still have the passion, just running out of permissions and producing sites. I have a feeling she is going to want to take a couple of those weekend days per month do something together under the topic of "Quality Time" (she does not want to detect :BangHead:) My silver totals have suffered, I will be lucky to pull 30 this year in lieu of the 50 I have set as my goal.

I went out to get a farm field permission on Saturday for a place where 9 buildings were back in the mid 1800's (a township center crossroads). The owner had already given permission to a guy who lives over an hour away who is invading my territory the day before. :BangHead: Needless to say there are more sites to hunt, just takes research and permission.

GL & HH

P.S.

I think some old coins will feed your fire more than a new machine.

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Back in the early 80's Kellyco had a deal for 9 detectors at once. I know Compass was in the batch, as was the Garrett Groundhog. I was in the money then so I ordered them and passed them out to people I cared about. I gave my Dad a Groundhog - I doubt he ever used it. He passed almost a decade ago at 87. I lived up North, so I wasn't here to encourage him. Lost opportunity for very fond memories.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I drove an hour and 45 mins to another state and found a Buffalo and I’m on a serious silver drought. I have to hunt alone because he let us when I was 2. Boy is he missing out! Lol

Enjoy the journey my friend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes I think it's best not to keep score. I too have slowed down a bit, but have by no means quite. Sometimes you have to give more attention to the other priorities in life, and that can make your next hunt that much better.
I went on my first serious hunt in awhile last week and man did it feel good. I had no plan and just let the hunt unfold. Felt good.
We all have hunts that are duds, and when I do, I go home after and look at all the great stuff I have found in the past and realize how fortunate I have been. Just enjoy the hunt and time spent with your dad and remember that the finds are a bonus.

HH, RN

digginNdreamin

Nov 21, 2016
North carolina
Detector(s) used
Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carolina Tom has it nailed.. We are going to leave this world just as we came in, naked..Enjoy the ride my friend..

Things you do for yourself will go with you when your gone, things you do for others will be left behind..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread