Nashvegas

Aug 9, 2017
Nashville TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705
Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hoping I can get some quick advice. I am in Southern California on a business/pleasure trip until Monday and brought my metal detector with me. First time detecting at beaches. Yesterday I went to Santa Monica Beach and was sorely disappointed at the results. Ended up with 51 cents in clad. But the most surprising thing is that there was hardly any trash hits either. So I guess they rake those beaches regularly with some sort of machinery. So my question for folks who know Souther California is where to go that they don’t have raked beaches???? Help! Was so looking forward to beach detecting.

Upvote 0

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They probably get raked by a dozen metal detectors every night. :dontknow:

Good luck, just keep swingin'

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Try the beach at the Venice Pier; and enjoy the scenery of the 'locals'.
Also work the sand south of the pier on the Venice Peninsula; down to the channel.
I used to live on the peninsula and find $1.00 in change after worik, before dinner, just about every day.
Don.......

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
Step one: Go to Southern California

Step two: walk west until you are in ocean water

Step three: Go east a smidge

Congratz your on the beach! :laughing7:

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hoping I can get some quick advice. I am in Southern California on a business/pleasure trip until Monday and brought my metal detector with me. First time detecting at beaches. Yesterday I went to Santa Monica Beach and was sorely disappointed at the results. Ended up with 51 cents in clad. But the most surprising thing is that there was hardly any trash hits either. So I guess they rake those beaches regularly with some sort of machinery. So my question for folks who know Souther California is where to go that they don’t have raked beaches???? Help! Was so looking forward to beach detecting.

I was south of the pier today and pulled over $9.00 in clad from the dry. Saw another guy there so I went the opposite directions. Also found a heavy silver pin in the surf. My last three hunts there have brought no less than $9 in clad and at least 1 keeper.

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Try Malibu for some real excitement. Great history and a point break that should shove some goodies up on the sand.

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beach Volleyball courts would be my firsts, if you are into jewelry.

Jul 25, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Volleyball nets are always my first stop. When nothing works just keep swinging!

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Just an FYI.... MOST SoCal beaches get hit by detectors. Everyone's back in school now so there's not a lot of recent drops. Kinda like "off season" now. Touristy places like venice or Huntington Beach pier area is a pretty good bet. Also the beach groomers don't grab the small stuff like coins and rings. Mostly for bottles, cans and larger assorted trash. HH

Last edited:

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
I don't know if they rake the beach with a machine or not. The other possibility would be detectorists digging the trash because gold rings will ID as just about anything. Gold rings like to slip off fingers in waste deep water, but many don't have underwater detectors and the ocean can be dangerous.

I live in Minnesota so we don't have ocean beaches but we have lake beaches. In that soft sand, things get deep quickly. I prefer the solid earth under grass to try for older coins. Santa Monica had 37,146 people in 1930, when 1800s coins were still in circulation, but even in harder ground they may be too deep to detect. Best wishes.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Finding little trash at a beach is a sure sign that the beach is being combed clean on a regular basis by locals - They take the trash because they don't want to be digging up the same bottle cap over and over.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SOCal is everything South of San Fran. Big place. I like T street San Clemente. I pulled two gold rings from one hole there. It is less searched with detectorists. Seldom see swingers there

K-Mann

Tenderfoot
Sep 2, 2017
Irvine, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huntington Beach, by the pier (So. side) has a TON of trash (nuts/bolts, screws, washers etc)..remember, this is where they have the world surfing champion contests, Paintball tournaments and numerous other events...why does this matter? they build the grandstands and bleachers ON THE BEACH. SO naturally, when these stands are built and disassembled, lots of construction fasteners are dropped.

There are better places to "hunt"...a bit farther south to Huntington State, by the volleyball nets are good. Have fun!

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
originally posted Oct. 2017

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great information,, now when I head up to the beaches around the Great Lakes, I know where to go for a few tips.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread