Anyone ever deal with the “curb strip conundrum”

darktower007

Feb 21, 2017
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus/Vaquero/At Max/fisher f70/carrot pen pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I recall about 2 months ago near Nashville TN I was hitting some curbstrips. A guy came out and said “what are you doing on my property?” I introduced my self and what I was doing he became quite rude and said “you didn’t answer my question”

I said sir you may not realize this but this concrete curb the grass I’m standing on up to the very edge ( pointing down with my finger) of the sidewalk is public property.

He said I’ll call the cops if you dont leave.

I said sir I’ll be glad to move on down the sidewalk, but if your going to call the cops anyway I’ll call them myself and/or the city manager and have them explain your property boundary.

I continued..

For example sir, if a dump truck blew a tire crashed and destroyed the curb and the soil here. Would you pay for its repair?

Additionally Do you think you could list the “curb strip” for sale in the MLS listings?

He glared at me and went inside slamming the front door.

I went on about my business a few houses down.

Anyone else deal with this sort of issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you hunt curb strips, you'll run across these "land barons" sooner or later. The ownership of these strips will depend on your locality. Most are city (or some other government entity) owned, and are defined in the code book. They're usually a distance measured from the center of the street to each side and can include curb, strip, and sidewalk. In most cases, even though they don't own it, it's the responsibility of the home owner to "maintain" that strip also, but, not always. I found that when you run across one of these knucklehead "owners", it's best just to smile and move on down the road. If "his" strip is just too good to ignore, do it when he's not home or around the complain. Look up the code yourself to see what applies in your area.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep, it happens. People are stupid and dont even know what the boundaries of their own property are. I had one a couple weeks ago come out (to his front porch) and angrily ask why I was digging holes in his yard (right in front of the sidewalk demolition at a vacant lot beside his property :icon_scratch: ). I just looked at him and said "I'm not on your property" and kept digging. His reply "well I know the owner and he wouldnt want you doing that". So I had to educate this idiot about how city owns every thing from the sidewalk to the road. I had to laugh at his reply then "yeah, you that in my yard and see what happens". I just kept hunting and told him to call the cops so they could come explain reality to him in person.

I hunted the entire strip in front of his house and whole block and never heard another peep from him. Only bad part was that I didn't find anything good.

The only people I will actually ask permission from are if they really take good care of their strip or if I want a chance to hunt their yard afterward.

junkhunt

Feb 21, 2017
North Central Arkansas
Detector(s) used
white's eagle spectrum , White's Spectra V3i, Garrett AT Pro. Garrett AT Pen pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recall about 2 months ago near Nashville TN I was hitting some curbstrips. A guy came out and said “what are you doing on my property?” I introduced my self and what I was doing he became quite rude and said “you didn’t answer my question”

I said sir you may not realize this but this concrete curb the grass I’m standing on up to the very edge ( pointing down with my finger) of the sidewalk is public property.

He said I’ll call the cops if you dont leave.

I said sir I’ll be glad to move on down the sidewalk, but if your going to call the cops anyway I’ll call them myself and/or the city manager and have them explain your property boundary.

I continued..

For example sir, if a dump truck blew a tire crashed and destroyed the curb and the soil here. Would you pay for its repair?

Additionally Do you think you could list the “curb strip” for sale in the MLS listings?

He glared at me and went inside slamming the front door.

I went on about my business a few houses down.

Anyone else deal with this sort of issue?

There is always an AH or two to rune your day.

OP
OP
darktower007

darktower007

Feb 21, 2017
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus/Vaquero/At Max/fisher f70/carrot pen pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I arrive in a new city and it looks promising I call the local zoning commission and or city works dept. just to confirm before I hit the strips who owns it.

As mentioned, if your gonna play the game you gotta know the rules.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know it's legal to detect those strips where I live, but if they are maintained by a home owner I fell obligated to ask permission. I saw a guy from out of town (he's from 20 miles away) last Friday doing it in my town. The small city where he's from does not allow detecting on public property. His actions though legal may make it hard for me to secure some of those permissions since the owners may have a bad taste in their mouth when it comes to us MDers after he hit their tree lawns.

Like I posted last year, how would you like to walk out some night expecting company and see some yahoo's who thought your curb strip was the perfect place for a corn hole game. There is a fine line between legal and ethical. JMHO

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just me, but I could not hunt curb strips in front of somebody's house! I know it is legal but not worth the hassle. I do hunt downtown curb strips on Sunday Mornings sometimes

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I arrive in a new city and it looks promising I call the local zoning commission and or city works dept. just to confirm before I hit the strips who owns it.

As mentioned, if your gonna play the game you gotta know the rules.

It's better if you look up the rules yourself and not rely on some city worker or bureaucrat who may have a personal bias or just plain ignorance on the subject.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I personally think it takes a bit of nerve to hunt residential strips, and its not so unbelievable that many people consider if their property.

You are violating their safe space, their home. They could have kids, maybe a wife expected home soon, and I wouldn't take kindly to some random guy poking around my house regardless of what he was doing.
Lets face it, dug plugs means dead grass no matter how careful you cut, no matter how meticulously you fill.
I feel there are enough legit public targets that don't cause friction [including miles and miles of non residential curb strips in most areas] without having to breathe down the necks and beep in the ears of home owners [who most likely maintain the grass that you are digging holes in].

So I wish guys like you would look a little harder for other hunting grounds, can't help but feel with your brashness you give detectors a bad name.
[Exception would be run down areas with lots of vacant property - But if you get into a confrontation there you might just get capped before a call to the cops]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread