Finding targets in the iron at cellar holes, help!

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I detect a lot of cellars and ive only dug one large cent from the front side of the hole amongst the iron. It rang up load and clear because it wasnt masked . I want to find more coins amongst the iron but I have a few questions about how to do it.

I have the AT pro and a 5x8 coil. I go slowly but how slow should i really go? I know i should grid it all and try all angles but all i hear is iron.

Do i dig any peep that breaks thru the iron? Even if its not repeatable? Ive tried this and 99.99% of the time it has been large iron nails. I read that iron really masks targets but im not sure if im working the iron properly. I usually give up and start working the perimiter of the cellar where the iron patches ween out and the repeatable button signals and other relics are audible.

Any advice would be helpful.

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just dig the cellar up if you have that kind of permission. Best way to go and you won't miss anything.

OP
OP
SultansOfSwing

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you think stuff is really that deep? Id hate to wreck the cellar. I like the way they look. I was thinking of doing a calander and phographing them.

ltd063

Sep 28, 2016
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 & Excal II, Tesoro SandShark, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Photograph them first and then dig everything.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We had a site like that and the only way to get the good stuff is to slowly get rid of the iron. After a few frustrating trips, with nothing but iron, coins and buttons finally began to show themselves.
Pick a small section and work it hard. If it pays off then you'll know too expand.
Good luck!

HH, RN

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
If I get a high tone, I'll switch to iron audio. If it's still pretty solid, I'll dig it. The iron audio can be a big help, but it doesn't insure that you have a coin that is masked. But it has worked for me probably 70% of the time. Hope this helps:icon_thumright: Good Luck!

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gotta dig a lot of iron, no way around it if you want to dig closer to the cellar hole.

NiagracountyNY

May 17, 2009
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Nokta- Fors core / Makro--CF77 / Minelab CTX 3030 / XP deus /Velox 1 / RS PinPointer /Makro Waterproof PinPointer
Removing any large iron you can helps alot..I find discrimination can hinder me finding targets in heavy iron..I usually run no discrimination and deal with all the noise as long as possible...It can get rough on the ears after a few hours..Dig all those iffy signals if u can..Iron will really distort a good signal if its on top or close to your good target. So i dig alot of signals i would ignore at cleaner locations.I also try different machines and coils as some have advantages over others.The heavy iron/trash sites always seem to give up goodies slowly over many many hunts.I like to think of these sites as Old faithfuls...Always have 1 or 2 goodies hiding for me ,even after years of working the site..Best of luck to you...HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread