1950's drive-in yields...a LARGE CENT????

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
For years, my father wanted to hit a drive-in but we needed permission. He finally got it.

The place is a mess, with scrap metal everywhere and lots of vegetation. I got a few obvious scrap metal targets due the the overload on my CTX but the next signal comes in at a 12-44, 12-46. I dig down about 4 inches and retrieve a dark gray disc a bit bigger and thicker than a quarter. Given the area, I was thinking may be a token, but I had the feeling it was a largie. Next I dug a clad dime and only a half-hour at the site, a surprise visit from the owner(who doesn't really know us). He comes to me first, I know he had to be the owner when he got out of his truck(my detective skills at work
smilie1.gif
).

After some small chit-chat and he seems like a nice guy, my father comes over and then...the owner puts us to work??? He had us detecting for property markers for about an hour. I tried to explain there are easier ways to find them than just trial and error. He finally understood what I was saying and let us get back to metal detecting. After the owner followed me around for 15 minutes, he said he will be back.

I found about a dozen coins(all late 60's to 80's) my lucky father(who is really making me look bad this year) found two silver dimes 1962 and 63 and a 1945 quarter. We were about to wrap it up and the owner had us locate one more property marker before we left. i secured permission for next week so we will see how that goes.

I am glad we secured permission, because the owner said he chased a guy out of there before who was walking his dog. He has cameras watching the place.

The large cent(only second one I ever found) is toasted, but I know that it is the draped bust variety but I cant get a date off it. So how did it get there? I think it was farmland before it was a drive-in.

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What? No pics? ???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread