New detector advice.

RobMc

Oct 15, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iā€™m not new to treasure hunting. However, until now, my hunting did not involve metal detecting.

Iā€™d like to give it a go.

Iā€™m in NYC, so Iā€™ll be doing mostly urban detecting. Thereā€™s lots of woodland and old sites here on Staten Island....I plan on learning the ropes here.

Iā€™m looking for a quality starter detector. Iā€™m learning here, so nothing that will be so advanced, itā€™ll be above me.

If I turn out to enjoy it, Iā€™ll upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

bloovey

Feb 16, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Start off with an easily affordable bounty hunter, its a great simple machine for beginners.

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dicks ran a sale for the bounty hunter tracker IV for $100. I don't know a whole lot about treasure/cache hunting...but when it comes to large pieces of metal, I don't see why they all wouldn't work. Some are really expensive, but have a fancier display. I can see the need for more higher end detectors for small gold nuggets that barely classify as "picker", but you would think that any detector would work outside of nugget shooting. I'm sure somebody will inform me other wise

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using TreasureNet.com mobile app

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recommend the Tesoro Compadre. It weighs 2.2 pounds, one knob, great discrimination, $160 with a LIFETIME Warranty. Spend an extra $120 for a Garrett Propointer and another $40 on a Lesche digger, a cloth nail pouch and you are ready to go.

bloovey

Feb 16, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
expensive metal detectors are for more deeper and smaller objects.

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Indian Steve just gave you increcible advice. I would also recommend Garrett Ace 250. Turn it on and go. Itā€™s one hell of a machine, and is what got me hooked.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To give you a better experience entering the hobby I recommend you spend between $250 to $300 to get more than a simple beep and dig machine. The Tesoro's are quality detectors, but you may be like me and want to see data on a screen. A couple suggestions are

Teknetics Delta

Whites Treasuremaster

Fisher F22 with 11" DD coil

Garrett Ace 300

Teknetics EuroTek Pro

Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro

You should also invest in a good pinpointer for about $120.

Other accessories I use a nail apron as a finds pouch, a knee pad for my right knee, and a good hand digging tool like the Lesche.

Last edited:

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To give you a better experience entering the hobby I recommend you spend between $250 to $300 to get more than a simple beep and dig machine. A couple suggestions are

Teknetics Delta

Whites Treasuremaster

Teknetics EuroTek Pro

Other accessories I use a nail apron as a finds pouch, a knee pad for my right knee, and a good hand digging tool like the Lesche.

What he said!:icon_thumright:

Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like Indian Steve, I would recommend a Tesoro Compadre or better yet maybe even the Tesoro Silver uMax. I started with a Tesoro and still own two of them. Go to Tesoro website or maybe Kellyco and look at the Silver uMax. That little machine really does a great job and won't break the bank.
Good luck to you!

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm a big fan of the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV. Usually less that $100 on Amazon. It will not disappoint. And as Loco-Digger said, get a pin pointer without hesitation. It's invaluable as part of the detecting experience. Good luck and Happy Hunting!

bowser

Feb 27, 2007
SOUTH WEYMOUTH MA.
Detector(s) used
PRISM11 MXT IDX PRO TESORO COMPARDRE T2 se
Primary Interest:
Other
call DENNIS a METAQLDETECTORS.COM he will set you up at discount prices to get you goin

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To give you a better experience entering the hobby I recommend you spend between $250 to $300 to get more than a simple beep and dig machine. The Tesoro's are quality detectors, but you may be like me and want to see data on a screen. A couple suggestions are

Teknetics Delta

Whites Treasuremaster

Garrett Ace 300

Teknetics EuroTek Pro

The Teknetics EuroTek Pro and the Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro are the best choice from this list. The Land Ranger Pro is almost the same as the Teknetics EuroTek Pro but has a manual ground balance, something that the Teknetics doesn't have.
If you are on a low budget, Tessoro Compadre is the best choice. A lot of detector for the bucks. Lifetime warranty and it has an excellent discrimination and almost now learning curve. You can't go wrong with this detector.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread