A little help needed from the ring experts - how old is this silver and 12k ring?

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was working a school built in the 1960's and came across a small silver heart-shaped ring. As you can see in the pictures below, it is marked "Sterling" "12K" and it appears that the gold leaves on either side of the silver heart are made of gold. (First of all, this is my FIRST real silver ring, so YESSSS!!! 2nd of all, I'm new to this, so try to remember when something like this was exciting to YOU! :occasion14:) It appears to be an antique or vintage ring and the maker's mark is a capital L with a small c above it and the letter M - For LcM. I can't seem to find that mark anywhere in my research on the old interwebs, so I'm asking for a little help in dating this ring. Thanks, as always!

(The first pick is all of the keepers from this dig. All of the coins are clad, the other ring is costume jewelry, and the shotgun shell is a Winchester No. 16 manufactured sometime between 1878-1949. All from the same ball field.)

All Items.JPG DSCF4249.JPG DSCF4250.JPG Maker's Mark.JPG

Upvote 0

sandswimmer

Apr 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Xcal Xterra's DF
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of those leaf designs like that are on Black hills gold rings & the gold is 12k. Landstroms makes a lot of silver and BHG rings.
SS

Last edited:
OP
OP
TomW244

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks!

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep. Black Hills gold. You'll find it in white, yellow n rose colored. Nice job, btw. 🙌

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using TreasureNet.com mobile app

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also would not say antique/vintage ring, it does have a copy right mark in it. Having said that, it IS Sterling with 12k leaves, really good find there Tom, I'd be happy with that ANY day of the week.

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is correct, the copywiright symbol is recent. Beginning in 1954, the copywrite symbol the C inside a circle, was first adopted and allowed per US Code. Prior to 1989, a valid copywrite symbol was required to have the year with it.

on a side note, typewriters did not have this symbol available.

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like a 1960's ring to me possibly a child's ring. Awesome find congratulations.

OP
OP
TomW244

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the info! Again, I'm both impressed and grateful with the knowledge base of the members of this site and their willingness to share it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread