Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, a month or so back, I bought a GM1000. It's okay, but the display for ferrous/non-ferrous is inaccurate, it's only for gold, and doesn't help much for coins (obviously). I have to drive anywhere from 2-3 hours to get to any gold bearing area, and even then, we're talking about flour gold.

Anyways, I got online yesterday to find a metal detector for coin shooting. I figured I could coin shoot when I don't have the time to make the drive into gold country. During my local search, I stumbled upon an estate sale and a lady had some metal detectors for sale. She ended up selling me a White's GMZ and a cheap bounty hunter for $150!

The bounty hunter is of no use (No sensitivity adjustment, no volume, no headphone slot, etc.) The White's feels AMAZING. It sweeps so smooth, I can adjust the sensitivity and ground reject (I used it like a balance instead of a reject.) But again, there's no volume knob and no display. A ferrous and non-ferrous target sound exactly the same so you don't know what you're digging. I would love to mod it and put a display, But I'm not even sure if that's possible.

So my search for a coin shooter ended me up with 2 nugget shooters, both with flaws and upsides....but I still don't have that relic/coin detector. I am debating on parting with one to fund a good quality coin and relic detector. If you were in my shoes, which choice would you make, and what's your reasoning behind it?

If I can get away with not parting with any, but rather upgrade the GMZ, that would be ideal. The bounty hunter is going to my daughter to get her interested in detecting with me.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using TreasureNet.com mobile app

Upvote 0

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own a minelab Safari and I always highly recommend it. As I always say on this forum, the machine speaks to you. Itā€™s a silver magnet. I havenā€™t used it on relics yet but on YouTube, Iā€™ve seen tons of amazing things being pulled out of the ground. I will never give up my machine because Iā€™ve learned it inside and out. I trust what it tells me, and itā€™s hardly ever wrong. Iā€™ve owned 5 machines total, and this one blows the others out of the water. Thatā€™s my recommendation for you, since the safari will handle what you want to accomplish.

OP
OP
J

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm. Thanks for the info. I'll look into that. Now I need to figure out which one I'm going to get rid of to fund it. I brought my GM1000 and GMZ on to a creek yesterday, and the GMZ blew the Minelab out of the water because the GMZ has the "salt"selector. The Minelab went crazy, and the GMZ didn't have any chatter at all. I would use the GMZ, and then confirm ferrous/non-ferrous with the minelab.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using TreasureNet.com mobile app

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never used to gm1000 before. Does it not work well with coins and relics? I looked up YouTube videos and some of them looked promising when not being used for gold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread