Attention Metal Detector Manufacturers - The Future Design

Chiltepin

Sep 25, 2017
Southwest US
Detector(s) used
BH Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
Other
First off I am a retired IT Director, I spent many years publicly speaking to end users
about emerging technologies. One was before the smart phone, explaining that it
was easier to make a computer emulate a phone than to put a computer inside a phone.
Those were the days of the Palm treo , and Microsoft made the Pocket PC.

Here we go. "The Revolutionary Concept"

Make a metal detector that you "Dock a Smartphone onto.

Hire some coders to make an application for a smartphone /metal detector to take advantage
of the "Computing" power of current phones. Modern day smartphones have a touchscreen,
are water proof (or can be water proofed using a case), GPS, headphone jack, internal batteries.
Voice commands, Voice prompts, etc

Imagine a hobbyist being able to pin a GPS location on your Metal detecting software map in
your application.

Smartphones do have a disadvantage, the 2 different connector standards.
Apples- Lightning connector
and the standard Usb C 3.0 connector

You will open the industry up to more "New Hobbyist" to the metal detecting hobby sales,
as stated almost everyone has a smartphone.

Get rid of the "Cables" make "Snap on" coils. Hobbyist would rave for "quick changes in the field" of
coils and reduce the risk of damaging cables and connectors.

The biggest benefit would be profit , and we know you already make a nice profit.
Software updates are easier to roll out on the network. Fewer components to
manufacture.

Its going to cost you on the R& D side, but would open up more benefits than pitfalls.

It's a Win /Win for the hobbyist and your companies.

Take a look at the Toyota FT-4X concept - yes that's a smartphone docked on the dash.

Thank you,

If anyone has anything else they would like to see please chime in.

Upvote 0

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
My guess is the smartphones would need a longer battery life as well. Snap on coils I could see being easily broke with some of the more hardcore users.
Seems like you described the Deus with the quick change Coil. If only I could use that expensive remote as a phone.
Cool idea if the detecting app was cheap..

OP
OP
Chiltepin

Chiltepin

Sep 25, 2017
Southwest US
Detector(s) used
BH Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
Other
My guess is the smartphones would need a longer battery life as well. Snap on coils I could see being easily broke with some of the more hardcore users.
Seems like you described the Deus with the quick change Coil. If only I could use that expensive remote as a phone.
Cool idea if the detecting app was cheap..

The app would be proprietary and would be FREE, the cost of the machine would cover the App cost.

Don't people already break coil mounts?

The addition of an extended battery capacity is easily solved.

Ever hear of Augmented Reality? You could see the objects shape
overlaid on the screen using the camera.

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
The app would be proprietary and would be FREE, the cost of the machine would cover the App cost.

Don't people already break coil mounts?

The addition of an extended battery capacity is easily solved.

Ever hear of Augmented Reality? You could see the objects shape
overlaid on the screen using the camera.

I've not only heard of it I've experienced it. :laughing7:
Yes people do break Coil mounts. My thoughts they may do it more.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somehow I just don't see what a smart phone would add to a metal detector. Just about all the features you mentioned are already available on some detectors. Look at the features of Minelab's CTX and XT's Deus for example. Each new model coming out will have more and more of these options as standard equipment.

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want a wireless AR heads up display. Basically a pair of (preferrably polarized) glasses with all necessary information shown on the inside of the lens. Mostly because it hurts my neck to look down for hours on end.

OP
OP
Chiltepin

Chiltepin

Sep 25, 2017
Southwest US
Detector(s) used
BH Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
Other
Somehow I just don't see what a smart phone would add to a metal detector. Just about all the features you mentioned are already available on some detectors. Look at the features of Minelab's CTX and XT's Deus for example. Each new model coming out will have more and more of these options as standard equipment.

Your not adding to the metal detector your replacing components that you now don't have to manufacture with a lot better interface and endless program-ability.

Yea why buy a watch, or a calculator when other companies integrated those things into one electronic device. Apple hardware was proprietary at one time, oh yea now they use standard pc hardware.
Toyota removed the ECU box from under the seat and integrated all the components into the cars Infotainment/Radio in the dash. Why change those things?

Obsessive, Now your thinking check out Microsofts Hololens.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/hololens

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Basically just turning the XP Deus into a phone as well. It's being done, but... $8,900.00 is a lot of money retail, which REALLY limits the market right now. :skullflag:

OP
OP
Chiltepin

Chiltepin

Sep 25, 2017
Southwest US
Detector(s) used
BH Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
Other
Basically just turning the XP Deus into a phone as well. It's being done, but... $8,900.00 is a lot of money retail, which REALLY limits the market right now. :skullflag:

You cut that cost down quite a bit when the Hobbyist supplies the main components, Its not turning a metal detector into a phone. Its a computer emulating a metal detector through software.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Instead of snap on coils, somebody needs to replicate the Teknetics 9000 coil that had 3 different sized coils in one head and you chose the coil size you wanted with a switch on the main box.

OP
OP
Chiltepin

Chiltepin

Sep 25, 2017
Southwest US
Detector(s) used
BH Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
Other
I made this statement and conference in front of 400 attendees.
" It is easier to make a computer emulate a phone than to put a computer inside a phone"
This is what I was holding and showing at that 2003 conference.
Toshiba Pocket PC 2002 $399
pocket pc.JPG

4 years later Apple debuts this Iphone Gen 1. I didn't predict the iphone I was showing
the attendees where technology was heading.
Iphone Generation 1 2007$499/4GB, $599/8GB
iphone1.jpg

Notice the bottom buttons on the pocket PC
they correspond with present day phone soft buttons.

Last edited:

Goldfinger450

Aug 28, 2017
Central Oregon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Ideas Chiltepin, I have been waiting for the Next big revolution in Detectors, there has to be one right around the corner. The Outlay of Megga Bucks for a detector has me holding off and will probably spend 500-$800 for my first newer one this decade. Sure enough if I were to outlay Big$ the newest thing will pop out into detector world.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
don't forget a gyroscopic beer holder ( I detest shaken beer)

OP
OP
Chiltepin

Chiltepin

Sep 25, 2017
Southwest US
Detector(s) used
BH Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
Other

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Somehow I just don't see what a smart phone would add to a metal detector. Just about all the features you mentioned are already available on some detectors. ...

Well put. Everything chiltepin mused is just a function of "faster and smaller". Or "whistles and bells". It's not actually adding anything more to detecting technology. Ie.: the ability of the machine to ID an object, or go deeper, or see through more iron, etc.....

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see it happening any time soon. Many participants in this hobby use an older Android or IOS phone that is not running the latest version. The MD manufacturers would need stay on top of multiple versions of phones and operating system updates to make sure no user was alienated.

Oh look...my phone just updated to X version...now my detector does not work until the MD company updates to the latest version as well.

I would not think it was an avenue they would want to investigate - seeing as how many detectors are still using grey LCD setups - yet alone touch screens with updates.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't see it happening any time soon. Many participants in this hobby use an older Android or IOS phone that is not running the latest version. The MD manufacturers would need stay on top of multiple versions of phones and operating system updates to make sure no user was alienated.

Oh look...my phone just updated to X version...now my detector does not work until the MD company updates to the latest version as well.

I would not think it was an avenue they would want to investigate - seeing as how many detectors are still using grey LCD setups - yet alone touch screens with updates.
Yes that would leave a lot of us out for a great many of us still use a flip phone .. So bad idea....So TheHunterGT you are right..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread