relic hunting: preserving iron relics suggestions?

Odokevin

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2017
NEK
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400, Garrett Pro-pointer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello all, hope you're all finding great things.

I've gathered a good handful of ax heads this year, all in varying states of decay. most are beyond repair, but I have two that I might mount on a new "aged" handle for show. I'm running them through electrolysis, and being quite new to this wonderful hobby, am trying different things to keep them from rusting further. Ive tried carnauba car wax, but left ugly white spots in the pits. I didnt want to, but i had it laying around and wanted to know if it would work. WD-40 works well enough so far, being kept in the house, but my wife is getting tired of finding my "treasures" all over the house. They may need to be wintered in my shed, which isn't very weather proof. And as I'm writing this, I have one in the oven "seasoning" like a cast iron skillet.

I'm a very DIY kind of person, so if anyone has any tips, tricks or pointers for cheap/free solutions with nice looking results, I'd love to here them.

Keep swinging and happy hunting friends.

Upvote 0

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello Odokevin, this site has been around since the beginning of time. When I first found this site back in 2013 I lurked and searched threads for the info I was interested in. I have seen many posts regarding this topic. I do recommend you read through this forum. Cleaning & Preservation

OP
OP
O

Odokevin

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2017
NEK
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400, Garrett Pro-pointer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Loco-Digger, I'm not very good with computers, I appreciate you including a link!!

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like red wine vinegar on my relics, soak for as long as needed. Also very cheap-cost wise. Then bake in oven until item is warm-hot and dry, then take Crisco and rub it in while warm , it will melt into the nooks and crannies---works for me :icon_thumright:

argarslayer

Tenderfoot
Jul 29, 2014
Lehigh Acres Florida
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look up aquachigger on you tube he shows how to make electrolysis outfit and how to use wax to seal iron from ever rusting again. I have used both electrolosis and wax and it works great. His channel is a wealth of info. Watch his videos of his finds they are great.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like red wine vinegar on my relics, soak for as long as needed. Also very cheap-cost wise. Then bake in oven until item is warm-hot and dry, then take Crisco and rub it in while warm , it will melt into the nooks and crannies---works for me :icon_thumright:

Why red wine vinegar? Wouldn't white vinegar still be acetic acid, but a lot cheaper? ;)

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I make a paste out of mineral oil and beeswax for use on wooden spoons and breadboards that I have also used on iron that I've cleaned with electrolysis, and that has worked beautifully.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use electrolsis, battery charger, Arm and Hammer Cleaning powder 102_8639.JPG 102_8640.JPG 1018171443.jpg

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used apple cider vinegar but regardless, I've been given to understand that after a vinegar soak, soak again in a baking soda and water mix, reason being that the acid in vinegar will soak into the porous iron, and can corrode from the inside out, and that the baking soda will neutralize it, so.......that's what I do. Also, my understanding that in electrolysis one should use "Distilled" water, at least for iron. True?

Last edited:

Whatdayagot

Aug 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is also a product called gemplers rust inhibitor just paint it on after cleaning turns it black

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Odokevin, Welcome to the forum from Georgia. There are a lot of great tips given here. I am a relic hunter from Georgia here. I tried something new last year on some of my Artillery Shell Frags that worked well for me. After cleaning the iron well, I tried a new product to myself called Gemplers. This product penetrates the iron and gives the iron a nice sheen. It will turn the items black, so you should only use this on items that you don't mind them turning black. This product will keep the iron from rusting any further. I do not sell this product nor am I affiliated in any way with this company. I just like to recommend something to others that I have used that I know has worked for me and may for them. So, go online and check this out and see if this could possibly work for you. Best of luck to you. By the way, I'm a Kevin too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread