Detector that will show how much gold the soil has

YeahIgotit

Oct 25, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello friends. I want to ask you a favor to share your knowledge and experience. I'm in Ecuador and about to get a gold mine open. There are many lands on sale that has gold, and lots of chineese mines as well. The thing is I need to verify not only if the land really has the gold in it, but most importantly, how much per tonne. So is there any detector that can do just that? I'll appreciate your opinions, thanks for reading this.

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's placer gold, you need to take some sample pans and average out how much gold is in each pan. If it's lode gold, you need to break some rock and get it assayed. A detector might help locate nuggets or veins, but they're not much good for flour gold.

OP
OP
Y

YeahIgotit

Oct 25, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your answer, cudamark. It's a placer gold and sample the soil is exactly what I was going to do, but then the thing is that the soil on the surface doesn't contain much of it, and the deeper you go the more you have. And it's also illigal to use an excavator without getting the license first. This why I started to thinking about a detector.

So I found this on Amazon.
Would this or something like it be able to tell me at least vaguely about how much should I expect to find deeper in the ground?

Someone once told me a story about some russian geologist who came here to Ecuador and he had a detector that used a thick copper cable put over the ground and it showed everything the soil had.

Does those things at least tell you here you have just a little and there you have a lot, and over there even more?

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Do NOT get that snake oil. Long range locators (aka: LRL) are scams.

cuda-mark is right: You need to get soil samples or rocks assayed by an assayer.

There are detectors that will tell if the ground is MINERALIZED. But are not going to differentiate type minerals (ie.: tell you how much gold flour, iron, etc....) . But just because some ground might be more mineralized than other ground does not mean it's necessarily high in gold.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cudamark is dead on right. There is no short cut, and the long range detectors are unproven.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your answer, cudamark. It's a placer gold and sample the soil is exactly what I was going to do, but then the thing is that the soil on the surface doesn't contain much of it, and the deeper you go the more you have. And it's also illigal to use an excavator without getting the license first. This why I started to thinking about a detector.

So I found this on Amazon.
Would this or something like it be able to tell me at least vaguely about how much should I expect to find deeper in the ground?

Someone once told me a story about some russian geologist who came here to Ecuador and he had a detector that used a thick copper cable put over the ground and it showed everything the soil had.

Does those things at least tell you here you have just a little and there you have a lot, and over there even more?

What's your definition of an "excavator"? Shovel? Backhoe? If a shovel is ok to use, get to work. You should be able to get into the paydirt for a decent sample. A gold detector is only going to find a tiny nugget at a foot deep or so. Are you able to set up a sluice and/or high banker?

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just remember if it uses L-rods it will take very long time to master. Or maybe never like most people. That one is a counterfeit so beware. Which brings up the snake oil remark. Funny, i was just watching a show about snake oil. It actually has many healthful benefits like alleviating arthritis. But wherever there is money to be had, there are greedy people to pervert things. That's what happened with the snake oil. People started selling counterfeit crap, without any snake oil in it. So the term "snake oil salesman" came to be. No difference with the LRL's.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Just remember if it uses L-rods it will take very long time to master. Or maybe never like most people. That one is a counterfeit so beware. Which brings up the snake oil remark. Funny, i was just watching a show about snake oil. It actually has many healthful benefits like alleviating arthritis. But wherever there is money to be had, there are greedy people to pervert things. That's what happened with the snake oil. People started selling counterfeit crap, without any snake oil in it. So the term "snake oil salesman" came to be. No difference with the LRL's.

Signal line, you are much too fun. I would LOVE to address what you are saying (that there is legitimate forms of LRL and L-rods). However, dissenting views on the subject appears not to be allowed on T'net.

The pro LRL and L-rod and dowse view can be put out there. But it can not be challenged by dissenting view. Lest someone who takes your statements to task "get a time out". So I'll let someone else take the risk at commenting on your post.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And like with lawyers, sadly the 99% make the other 1% look bad.

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Showing the positive points of your perspective is not a dissenting view.

Of course, vast fortunes, mineral deposits and shipwrecks have been found with L rods, LRL, and of course Ouija boards... it has all been kept a secret so one doesnt risk being given a time out on TNET.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Signal line, you are much too fun. I would LOVE to address what you are saying (that there is legitimate forms of LRL and L-rods). However, dissenting views on the subject appears not to be allowed on T'net.

The pro LRL and L-rod and dowse view can be put out there. But it can not be challenged by dissenting view. Lest someone who takes your statements to task "get a time out". So I'll let someone else take the risk at commenting on your post.
Tom, a word to the wise, don't push your luck, your last timeout was for badgering members.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm curious, how many acres is the mine you are looking to buy?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread