Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everybody, I just came across a White's Spectrum for sale. It has 5 programs in it, supposedly like new, and as far as I know it's just the detector (No extra coils, components, etc.). I know there has been quite a few spectrums. He says he bought it 10 years ago, so I'm assuming when he bought it, it had already been released for a year or 2. I'm not sure the series. He wants $450 for it, which i think is a pretty high price. My questions are, is this a good detector, and is it worth that.

I have a GM1000 and a White's GMZ, but gold areas are 2-3 hours away, so I wanted something for coin and relics in the mean time. I really don't have the money for a new one after buying the GM1000, so I'm hoping to get a good used one that has a history of being good. I know whites is great, but the technology is probably 15 years old. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using TreasureNet.com mobile app

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you like the Whites name and you are looking for a good all around detector, have you considered the MXT ALL PRO? I have one and use it for relics here in Georgia and really like mine. You may be able to find one on a resale reasonably priced, or if your not in a hurry, just save a little longer. If you haven't already check out videos on Utube. Best of luck to you in your search. Like hunting, don't get in a real hurry. Take your time, do the research, and you'll pick the MD best suited for you.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
What's a good high end detector for $500 that includes those types of accessories though?....

Just-curious: If you haven't already noticed, from the inputs on your thread so far: This is a "ford & chevy" question. You will get input till-the-cows come home. You can see what the experts in your area are using. Like, ... who's coming in with the oldies in your area ? And what machines are they using ? Not just sandbox hunters with an occasional fluke oldie. But rather: The guys that are routinely making the good old finds.

Not sure about your area, but if you were to ask that question in CA, the answer would be : The various explorer incarnations (Exp. II, Etrac, CTX, etc...).

junkhunt

Feb 21, 2017
North Central Arkansas
Detector(s) used
white's eagle spectrum , White's Spectra V3i, Garrett AT Pro. Garrett AT Pen pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds a bit over priced. Check on E Bay and Amazon and see what they are going for.

OP
OP
J

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I just found a white Spectrum XLT from a local metal detecting Facebook group, and the deal doesn't seem that bad. I think it's better than the 275 deal. This is what it is: "spectrum xlt, Perfect condition. Battery Pack, and 3 coils, $450, includes rain cover and headphones." The 3 coils are 9.5, 12, and 20.

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always recommend the minelab Safari. You can find one used for under $500 and would probably come with a lot of accessories. I see them listed right now on eBay. You can’t go wrong with what it offers you. Just another option if you wanted to check in to it. I use one and I want to upgrade to something new, but I can’t because I seriously can’t figure out how much better it could really get. It’s not waterproof though, only the coil.

OP
OP
J

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't plan on fully submerging a detector anyways. See, I bought the GM1000 because of all the rage...but it has given me false readings MULTIPLE times as far as ferrous/non-ferrous. I dug up a big ol hunk of rusted iron because my Minelab told me it was non-ferrous. It didn't flicker between F & NF, it was only reading Ferrous

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking of buying that machine actually. For relics and gold.

OP
OP
J

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Which one, the XLT or the Safari? I've read nothing but amazing reviews and advice online. The videos all look great, the price is good, supposedly they last forever, and people that upgrade either say they miss it, or they went back to it. I think I'm sold. Hopefully I can talk the guy down to $400 because I also found a White's Goldmaster for $150 lol. If I get the XLT, I will be able to hold off on a pinpointer (for a little bit), stayed under budget, and got a bunch of extras.

The good thing i keep reading is you can program it to be suitable for pretty much any area/target. The bad news is, it takes some time to learn the programming. There is the eagle spectrum (still highly praised but heavier and less advanced battery (takes C cell) and then there's the Spectrum XLT and XLT e-series which are essentially the same thing and was no significant change except decal, price, and faster speeds when pushing buttons and flipping through the menu. From what I'm reading, there maybe more XLT's, or people are all calling them something different such as the "original XLT" and the "XLT Rainbow series". I think it's just the eagle, spectrum, and e-series and people just have their own names for referencing them.

OP
OP
J

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I talked him down to $400 and I'm going for it! I've read too many good things about it and the amount of accessories with it is pretty good. It's an old detector, but apparently White's does good cheap repairs outside of warranty and the price point is right at my budget. This isn't a HORRIBLE decision right? I understand I could buy a new detector if I just save a bit more, but it sounds like a great and diverse competitor for even the better machines being manufactured today.

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Which one, the XLT or the Safari? I've read nothing but amazing reviews and advice online. The videos all look great, the price is good, supposedly they last forever, and people that upgrade either say they miss it, or they went back to it. I think I'm sold. Hopefully I can talk the guy down to $400 because I also found a White's Goldmaster for $150 lol. If I get the XLT, I will be able to hold off on a pinpointer (for a little bit), stayed under budget, and got a bunch of extras.

The good thing i keep reading is you can program it to be suitable for pretty much any area/target. The bad news is, it takes some time to learn the programming. There is the eagle spectrum (still highly praised but heavier and less advanced battery (takes C cell) and then there's the Spectrum XLT and XLT e-series which are essentially the same thing and was no significant change except decal, price, and faster speeds when pushing buttons and flipping through the menu. From what I'm reading, there maybe more XLT's, or people are all calling them something different such as the "original XLT" and the "XLT Rainbow series". I think it's just the eagle, spectrum, and e-series and people just have their own names for referencing them.

I was thinking of buying a gold monster. I own the safari. I absolutely love it. I was told it would be the last machine I’d ever need to own unless I needed an underwater machine. He was right. I don’t know anything about the xlt but if you did your research and Like what you read and hear from everybody, go for it!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I talked him down to $400 and I'm going for it! I've read too many good things about it and the amount of accessories with it is pretty good. It's an old detector, but apparently White's does good cheap repairs outside of warranty and the price point is right at my budget. This isn't a HORRIBLE decision right? I understand I could buy a new detector if I just save a bit more, but it sounds like a great and diverse competitor for even the better machines being manufactured today.

There's nothing wrong about using a Spectrum XLT. It's just a little dated, that's all. Most of the latest machines will give you a little more depth (sometimes a lot depending on the machine) and stability. The XLT will also be virtually worthless in wet salt water sand, but, will work fine in the dry. White's makes good dependable quality machines and the XLT is no exception. Get yourself a good pin pointer (the TRX is my current favorite) and a good digger, and have fun!

Corben

Jul 9, 2008
Sacramento
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000. V4
Garrett ATPro
Get the spectrum. Great detector. Requires a fast swing. Lots of programs out there to try. Try to find a royal 800 for it. Or at least the bluemax 800. The stock coil I found was a little to big for trashy areas.

OP
OP
J

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually got 2 Spectrums and a royal 800 :)

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't waste your money.. I have a V3i I would sell for $700 and it's just been upgraded by Whites to brand new.. Not really wanting to sell it so this is not an ad to sell

☠ Cipher

Aug 16, 2016
Middleburgh, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites: Spectra V3i, MX Sport, Bullseye TRX. Fisher: F75 LTD, 1280-X, F2. XP: Deus. Minelab: X-terra 70, Garrett: AT Pro, Ace 250, Propointer II. Tesoro: Compadre. Bounty Hunter: LRP, QDP, 3300, 2200,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread