Help - Looking To Upgrade to Detector In $1,000 Price Range - Safari? Garrett, Other?

SandPyrat

Greenie
Jan 18, 2017
St. Augustine
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have been using a White's Surf P.I. Pro that a friend gave to me for about a year now. Having a blast, finding a lot coins and stuff on the beach. I live in St. Augustine, FL and hunt only on the beach right now - but am thinking of expanding my horizons and trying some other areas inland, maybe even Georgia or North Carolina (much different soil). Ultimately, I'll probably be on the beach at home most of the time.

My Surf Pro is simple to use and locates coins and metal pretty darn deep, enough to make me sweat and regret beginning to dig sometimes. Thinking though it may be time to go with newer technology, a few more settings and readout that confirms the audio and gives me an idea of what I'm finding (I still dig everything in fear of missing something good). All you can do with the Surf Pro is listen intently for the squeals. Most of the time I can recognize the crisp blip of a coin, but that's about it. It's also starting to make random, inconsistent sharp blip sounds.

I'm lazy and don't enjoy fiddling with settings, nor do I think I'll ever connect a detector to my computer, use GPS, bluetooth, WIFI, NetFlix, etc. I work on a computer all day and don't want to mess with one any more than I have to. Waterproof coil is mandatory, waterproof or resistant detector is a bonus. I just want to get to the beach, turn it on and go - but also have a good detector for other soil types.

The two detectors I've been looking at are the MineLab Safari and the Garrett AT Pro. Would like to spend no more than $1,000 if possible. Are these better than my Surf Pro and, am I missing out on a specific technology by not spending a few more hundred dollars? I notice the next detector up from the Safari, the ETRAC has "smartfind". Is this worth having? I'm willing to sacrifice some ease of use if it gives me a more powerful detector.

The Garrett AT Pro runs about $650 while the Safari is about $1,000. For me, generally higher price means "better". Is this the case here?

Thanks in advance - all advice appreciated.

Upvote 0

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wait for the new minelab .

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can hold out, go for a XP Deus. They are a little more, but mine does better than either of the machines in a one on one hunt. It's also user friendly. I don't "program" mine, but use it right out of the box. Sometimes I bump up the frequency on the HF coil, but that's about all.

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love my deus but the new minelab will be multi-freq running all freq at once so you can find a wide range of targets in one swing . If the reviews go well I am picking one up . That will be in the spring for me though . A long five months of winter is ahead of me .

OP
OP
SandPyrat

SandPyrat

Greenie
Jan 18, 2017
St. Augustine
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Wow - looks like the new Minelab Equinox is the way to go. Glad I posted this question as would have been ticked had I bought a new MD with a better model on the verge of release. Thanks!!

Vldetecting

Jun 23, 2017
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro-Pointer, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm getting the Garrett AT Max for next season, it's recommended by many people and it's the best detector in the AT series. So I would recommend that detector, for about 750$

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Minelab Equinox looks promising. I suggest you “test drive” a few machines. metal detectors are like cars... when you look on the road around you while you drive not everyone drives the same car....Yes they all have four wheels and a steering wheel but that’s where the similarities end.

I like Minelab and I love XP but they are two different styles. It’s like driving a sports car and an SUV. One is fast the other has more features and carries more.

C165AA97-9693-4C82-8099-95FBE43D7B97.jpeg

bowser

Feb 27, 2007
SOUTH WEYMOUTH MA.
Detector(s) used
PRISM11 MXT IDX PRO TESORO COMPARDRE T2 se
Primary Interest:
Other
call Dennis at METALDECTORS.COM to get a great deal, Safari prices have dropped considerably

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AT Pro does not do well on salt water beaches (Dry sand is ok) but great for soil and rivers and streams (freshwater).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Xp deus, whites mxsport, garret at max, minelab equinox, all fit your bill. stuff like ctx 3030, whites v3i, and ither high ends with lots of options and adjustments sound out of your interest.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As touched on before.....get a multifrequency machine for wet salt water sand and water. Single frequency machines tend to false in those environments unless you detune them, losing depth in the process. Minelab is the king of multifrequency machines right now. Others that will work good too are the Fisher CZ21 and White's BH3000. If the Equinox delivers on it's hype, it sounds like a good fit for you pricewise and performancewise. Safari would work for you too, but, it's not waterproof. Same with the Sovereign, Explorer, and E-trac. The CTX is an excellent choice if you can stand the price.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd hold out purchasing one that satisfies your requirements until the new Equinox is available as it sounds like the perfect beach and water machine.
Good Luck!

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don’t pull the trigger until the Equinox is out and several members have spent a few hundred hours with one between all of them. All the videos on the Internet that were done at the Detectival 2017 in England were done with a prototype to build up some hype. It was obvious from the sky jumper to the smoke etc. Marketing at its best. Minelab builds great machines However others do as well.

Patience is a virtue

9258F78D-0A3F-403B-A4AE-E95290678AB5.jpeg

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own the safari and rave about it non stop. With that being said, I do believe I would wait for the equinox 800 as well. It’s waterproof and has a lot of hype about it.

If you are ready to buy One now, you will absolutely not be let down with the Safari. That machine has a language of its own that you learn quite quickly. The coil is waterproof too. You can’t go wrong, but it also sounds like you can’t go wrong with the equinox either, which will be a much lighter machine and waterproof. I don’t know how it would perform against the safari though. Only time will tell.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread