Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don’t know what’s going on guys I detect practically every day and I’ve been doing it for a couple years now I think it all caught up to me. My arms, shoulders and elbows are constantly sore from these larger coil‘s and now even with the rattler coils I can go many hours like I used to. And also my hands go numb very often and they’re very sore all the time. Am I over doing it it old or both? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried slings out back in the 70's with some TR & VLF's with large coils. They work best in wide open flat ground, but I was constantly getting tangled somehow with either my gear or underbrush in the woods. My current underdog machine only weighs 2 1/2 lbs. and I can go gangbusters for 3 hours with my strong arm before I have to start swapping off to my weaker arm for 10 minute stretches, which entails slowing down to about 1/2 the speed I like to hunt at. I've had the "tennis elbow" syndrome several times from overdoing it on a good site, and that will either put you out of action entirely for several weeks, doing sloppy detecting with your off arm, or using a sling and being very careful with your injured arm.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out for six hours on Saturday. Now at least 1-2 hours was getting ready, driving from one spot to another, etc. But actually dug about 4 hours in three spots. It was a miracle.

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The ATP after one season was killing my back and arm . I tried a sling and the detecting buddy sling . All the sling did was transfer the wear and pain to my neck and shoulders. I bought a deus and problem solved . I put the remote on my belt and it is a touch lighter . All pain gone and I can detect longer now .

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Truth, I think you might need to slow down some. I used to swing every available moment even though I am a working stiff. Some days after digging hundreds of plugs using my lesche hand digger I could hardly use my right hand for a day or 2. I swung so fast at some target rich sites that I got a case of Tennis elbow and a sore shoulder. I did make a makeshift harness using a set of Army (LBE) web gear and a couple bungee cords. It works great if I plan on swinging the big coil for more than a couple of hours. I now mainly hunt on the weekends for about 4 to 5 hours instead of the 8 to 14 when I 1st started.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Truth, I think you might need to slow down some. I used to swing every available moment even though I am a working stiff. Some days after digging hundreds of plugs using my lesche hand digger I could hardly use my right hand for a day or 2. I swung so fast at some target rich sites that I got a case of Tennis elbow and a sore shoulder. I did make a makeshift harness using a set of Army (LBE) web gear and a couple bungee cords. It works great if I plan on swinging the big coil for more than a couple of hours. I now mainly hunt on the weekends for about 4 to 5 hours instead of the 8 to 14 when I 1st started.

Loco you’re absolutely right I’m swinging way to much and should be getting some good sleep. Between work and swinging I’m burn both ends of the candle. I’ve always had a problem with balance in life. I’m gonna take your (and my wife’s) advice and learn to relax more. Thanks for looking out.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm starting MDA. Metal detectors anonymous. Will have to check in myself though.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At first the motto was "So much Terra Forma, so little time". Man I was out every moment the sun was up when not at work the 1st season. Just imagine digging all of this without using a pin pointer for the 1st 6 months of the eight I swung. I was obsessed and the wife gave me Ca rte Blanche since I finally found a hobby I really enjoyed. Just be home for dinner was the only stipulation. No problem, hunted every evening after eating until the sun went down and every waking weekends from 7:30 or 8:am until dark, with a dinner break. I hit every park, sports park, and school in a 40 mile by 50 mile area and a few permissions.

20150111_151539.jpg

I had spent about $40 in quarters before the picture was taken and my keepers coins, relics and are not pictured. Both of my 1st 2 detectors paid for themselves with clad in 2014.

Sad to say my wife has been a detecting widow since 2014. Even though I may not be swinging as much, I am here on Tnet as well as looking at a few hobby related FB pages.

Bottom Line, I am still obsessed with the hobby, just not as sore as I once was.

Last edited:

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At first the motto was "So much Terra Forma, so little time". Man I was out every moment the sun was up when not at work the 1st season. Just imagine digging all of this without using a pin pointer for the 1st 6 months of the eight I swung. I was obsessed and the wife gave me Ca rte Blanche since I finally found a hobby I really enjoyed. Just be home for dinner was the only stipulation. No problem, hunted every evening after eating until the sun went down and every waking weekends from 7:30 or 8:am until dark, with a dinner break. I hit every park, sports park, and school in a 40 mile by 50 mile area and a few permissions.

View attachment 1513519

I had spent about $40 in quarters before the picture was taken and my keepers coins, relics and are not pictured. Both of my 1st 2 detectors paid for themselves with clad in 2014.

Sad to say my wife has been a detecting widow since 2014. Even though I may not be swinging as much, I am here on Tnet as well as looking at a few hobby related FB pages.

Bottom Line, I am still obsessed with the hobby, just not as sore as I once was.
Holy cow, I never was that obsessed!

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Loco digger, first, don't let her trade you in for a new Minelab, and 2nd let's see the relics!

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Since getting the Deus I now know what swinging without shoulder pain is. Not true when I try to sleep on my worn out, grinding shoulders.
The light weight of the Deus has kept me in the game.
Be aware that the "statin" drugs can cause pain. Best of luck guys!

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since getting the Deus I now know what swinging without shoulder pain is. Not true when I try to sleep on my worn out, grinding shoulders.
The light weight of the Deus has kept me in the game.
Be aware that the "statin" drugs can cause pain. Best of luck guys!

You know I tried to stop for a week but I only made it 2 days to much time on my hands I guess and Tv’s and movies are my thing. I’m sending my sling back tomorrow I’m 6”1 and it too short with my long torso. Lol I’m gonna sell my ATP and my F75 LTD and my 4 big coils. I can handle the Max with the 5X8” coil. Now question is new Equinox or Deus? Big price difference and waterproof, but I also want the easier crossover. I’m debating but I am doing the lighter machine because I can’t stop and my shoulders hurt especially when I’m trying to sleep!!!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
though I don't know where to find them anymore, I like the "Original Detecting Buddy" sling.
I see some online but I'm not sure they are the same maker.
I got mine out of NY

Last edited:
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
though I don't know where to find them anymore, I like the "Original Detecting Buddy" sling.
I see some online but I'm not sure they are the same maker.
I got mine out of NY

I bought the Limbsaver still to short stretched out for me. It brought me a inch of the ground. Not gonna work.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use 2 bungee cords and a set of Army LBE for when I swing the 12" x 15" nel butterfly coil. I can swing my other 3 coils all day without the sling.

20151105_191436.jpg 20151105_191405.jpg

20151105_191701.jpg 20151105_191948.jpg

beendetected

May 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t know what’s going on guys I detect practically every day and I’ve been doing it for a couple years now I think it all caught up to me. My arms, shoulders and elbows are constantly sore from these larger coil‘s and now even with the rattler coils I can go many hours like I used to. And also my hands go numb very often and they’re very sore all the time. Am I over doing it it old or both? Lol

I have a scale that weighs my detectors in grams of anti inflammatories I need to take with me to the field.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

beendetected

May 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a scale that weighs my detectors in grams of anti inflammatories I need to take with me to the field.

Problem is that the IV drip-feed bag gets caught up and the stand trolley sinks into the sand.

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are going for the 800 and a six inch coil there is not that big of a price diff from the deus . Deus will still be lighter and compact w / removable remote .Five year warranty not sure what ML offers for a warranty . I will be looking at the 800 if it really can weed out aluminum you can not beat that . The deus sucks for bottle caps . The wiggling back iron buzz thing on crown caps had me wondering so I dug what I thought would be a cap with an iron buzz and it was an IHP . Now in the nails around old houses or where an old house was the deus is killer . Not so much a park machine but an really good private permission machine . That is why I am looking at the new ML .

You know I tried to stop for a week but I only made it 2 days to much time on my hands I guess and Tv’s and movies are my thing. I’m sending my sling back tomorrow I’m 6”1 and it too short with my long torso. Lol I’m gonna sell my ATP and my F75 LTD and my 4 big coils. I can handle the Max with the 5X8” coil. Now question is new Equinox or Deus? Big price difference and waterproof, but I also want the easier crossover. I’m debating but I am doing the lighter machine because I can’t stop and my shoulders hurt especially when I’m trying to sleep!!!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deus is a pound lighter than the equinox. I got to test swing an Equinox a few weeks ago, and the balance on the machine lacks a lot. The thing is nose heavy, the control box and coil pull on you pretty badly. I personally, having held one, don't like the imaginary ergonomics of it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread