Wanting to upgrade, need reviews/suggestions.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had a White's DFX for years and know it's getting pretty dated. Found a lot of coins, recovered jewelry and small parts for friends and family. It's served me well, but it's past time to upgrade! I have a budget of $2300. What would you buy?

Where and what type of stuff are you hunting? what are do you live in and do you have heavy mineralization in your soil? salt water? People will need this info to direct you the right way.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
CTX3030 and Deus are the kings of the hill. I use a Deus, and have for several years. At $1500 it is wireless, ultralight and easy to use. CTX is about at your budget limit, is three time heavier and slower, but IDs deeper targets, is waterproof and works is salty marshes better.

OP
OP
S

Sabre2th

Greenie
Oct 16, 2017
Marshfield, MO
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where and what type of stuff are you hunting? what are do you live in and do you have heavy mineralization in your soil? salt water? People will need this info to direct you the right way.

I live in SW Missouri, rocky soil. I hunt mostly around old homesteads for coins, jewelry, relics. I get to the FL panhandle occasionally visiting my son in the USAF, that's as close to saltwater as I get.. Really don't know about the mineralization around here..

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in SW Missouri, rocky soil. I hunt mostly around old homesteads for coins, jewelry, relics. I get to the FL panhandle occasionally visiting my son in the USAF, that's as close to saltwater as I get.. Really don't know about the mineralization around here..

Carolina tom has it called then. The only one I'll add to the mix is whites v3i. If i had the money and could stand swinging something that heavy I would probably own a ctx or v3i, A xp dues would be nice but comes in 3rd place to the other two in my mind. But many others swear dues is right on top so any of the 3 are good choices

OP
OP
S

Sabre2th

Greenie
Oct 16, 2017
Marshfield, MO
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been reading up on them, and the CTX3030 fits the bill pretty good. Now to find a good deal..

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
The CTX is very balanced when swinging so weight usually isn't an issue. My best deal was from a TNet vendor. Good luck!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with Tom's post, but you might want to swing your current machine just a little bit longer. The new Minelab Equinox may be a good fit for you as well as the new machines that first Texas will be introducing in the near future.

slick356

Feb 11, 2016
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab Ctx 3030
Minelab Etrac
Whites Dfx
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used the Whites Dfx for years. Did very well with it. Middle of last year I bought Minelab Etrac. But winter set and never really learned to use it entirely. This past January I traded it in on a CTX. And read the big book on it a few times and took the class that Andy Sabisch gives. I would have sworn that the Dfx would hold its own against anything. And I still have it as a back up. The Ctx is not even on the same planet as the whites. I am pulling so many coins and many are silver on the places I hunted out. I let a buddy of mine detect with me once in a while using my Dfx and I follow behind him just getting hit after hit. Now the Ctx takes a lot of learning and I have the 2 other coils to go with it but if you have the time the money and the patience it is 100% worth it.

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used the Whites Dfx for years. Did very well with it. Middle of last year I bought Minelab Etrac. But winter set and never really learned to use it entirely. This past January I traded it in on a CTX. And read the big book on it a few times and took the class that Andy Sabisch gives. I would have sworn that the Dfx would hold its own against anything. And I still have it as a back up. The Ctx is not even on the same planet as the whites. I am pulling so many coins and many are silver on the places I hunted out. I let a buddy of mine detect with me once in a while using my Dfx and I follow behind him just getting hit after hit. Now the Ctx takes a lot of learning and I have the 2 other coils to go with it but if you have the time the money and the patience it is 100% worth it.

I️ am about to pull the trigger on the ctx but was scared to do it knowing the equinox is coming out. I️ think your post just confirmed for me that I️ should go for the ctx still.

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Ditto. I'd up the budget a bit, get the 17in coil and the pro swing harness. You probably could live with the stock coil if you had to till the money rolled in off the finds lol

OP
OP
S

Sabre2th

Greenie
Oct 16, 2017
Marshfield, MO
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pulled the trigger. Have worked something out with a local dealer, will have a 17" coil as well.

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! Ill be doing the same on Monday.

OP
OP
S

Sabre2th

Greenie
Oct 16, 2017
Marshfield, MO
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How does the ctx do in an iron pit?

VERY well from what I'm hearing, reading, watching YouTube. It is capable of showing both ferrous and low-conductivity simultaneously on screen, so can sort trash well.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sabre2th, Congrat's to you on the order of the new Minelab and the 17' Coil. Christmas has come a lil' early. Best of Luck to you with your new set up.

☠ Cipher

Aug 16, 2016
Middleburgh, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites: Spectra V3i, MX Sport, Bullseye TRX. Fisher: F75 LTD, 1280-X, F2. XP: Deus. Minelab: X-terra 70, Garrett: AT Pro, Ace 250, Propointer II. Tesoro: Compadre. Bounty Hunter: LRP, QDP, 3300, 2200,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Comparing FBS machines to a DFX is probably not a fair comparison. I'm sure the DFX would hold its own against them in the first 8 inches of soil. But depth is pretty limited on the DFX. A fairer comparison would be the V3i and VX3 line, and there it's a back and forth. There are many things the V3i is better at and then there are many things the FBS machines are better at. Having used both, I don't think Whites is behind at all. Both have their strengths and weaknesses, but the V3i in the right hands is a big step up from the DFX.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck with the CTX.
It is a really well designed machine.
When I purchased mine a few years ago, Minelab was having a promotional special. The 17 inch coil was part of the package. I paid $1,700. for both. Then I sold the 17 inch coil for $200. plus shipping. So, in reality, I only paid $1,500 for my CTX.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread