Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: FBI

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jan 2016
    NW Arcanslaw / SW Misery
    Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold / Garrett PropointerAT.
    2445 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

FBI

Has anyone else ever paid attention to the video clips on the news where they show a dozen FBI agents lined up with a bunch of those Dewalt yellow metal detectors? Every time I see them all I can see is cords not wrapped just swinging free, and coils being swung a foot above the top of the grass, and it drives me bonkers.

I can't help but think I should go apply for a job with the local police or county sheriff's department crime scene evidence recovery / forensics team.

Name:  20171107_180807.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  50.0 KB
    Last edited by Icewing; Nov 07, 2017 at 07:09 PM.
    Perspective is everything, find a good one.

Charter Member
    us
    Coin Rescue Tech

Jun 2014
    Northern O-H-I-O
    F75 LTD SE, F70, 1280X Aquanaut, & Fisher F2 (loaner) Have had a TC 1023, Fisher F4, Whites Classic ID II, BH LRP, Tesoro Lobo, F75, & XP Deus.
    13844 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Heck, they'd never get you away from a crime scene that had some history Icewing, You'd have immediately found the surface finds (evidence) and then spend the next 2 days there just to make sure you didn't miss anything relevant to the current crime, digging all the good signals.
    Icewing, Slingshot, SD51 and 2 others like this.
    Rescuing Coins 1 Beep at a time

us
    Apr 2004
    Appalachia East Tennessee
    BH Pioneer 202, Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function
    794 times
    Yeah, I was looking at a picture of FBI agents lined up close together where their same type machines could all cross talk with one another while they were sweeping an area and just had to wonder who the heck trained these people. Also had to think about how they would do with their machines against anybody on this board, using the same machine. I bet that would be a real eye opener and a shock to FBI upper level management, if the results were ever allowed to get to that level. Anyways, just hope their gun handling skills are much higher than their detecting skills, as their lives might actually depend on that, but they seriously need some help with their detecting, big time.

us
    Jan 2016
    NW Arcanslaw / SW Misery
    2445 times
    Another bonus; I'm thinking you could write your gear off your taxes and count hobby time as "training hours".

us
    Apr 2004
    Appalachia East Tennessee
    BH Pioneer 202, Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function
    794 times
    Icewing: But Captain I think I need to detect that yard around the old Victorian house some more, I just have a feeling something important is waiting to be found that might have a bearing on this homicide investigation.
    Captain: OK Icewing, one more day in that yard, then tomorrow I expect you to be ready for standard patrol duties again.
    Icewing: Will do Captain! As thoughts of the 11 silver coins, 7 IHP's, 2 V nickels, 4 Buffaloes, and 37 Wheaties he had found the previous day ran through his mind. I just know there is a Barber half in that yard, and I'm going to hit it hard today!

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
    11514 times
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    I'm registered with a few PDs to help if needed
    fishstick, dts52 and PullTabPete like this.
    Motto = "I try to hit where others cant or others wont "

us
    sprailroad

Jan 2017
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Minelabs/Garretts
    1097 times
    I offered to volunteer my time if ever needed to the sheriff's Dept. one time. A friend of mine is with Search & Rescue, and for a possible crime scene asked to borrow a detector from me, I set up a user friendly detector, gave him a crash course, and wished them luck. They found trash and nothing else. When I told him I would be more then willing to assist in the future, I was told I could not, I need to be a Deputy. I understand chain of evidence etc., and would flag and not dig, but again, NO. So, with two borrowed detectors, they were just like the FBI guys pictured above. Oh well....... (At least the one I loaned out had the cord wrapped, bet my guy at least "Looked" professional).
    Last edited by sprailroad; Nov 08, 2017 at 06:05 AM.
    fishstick and Slingshot like this.

Aug 2016
    MI
    ETRAC
    1116 times
    I was wondering if they even had the "OFF" switch in the "ON" position?

us
    Jun 2015
    NW CT
    AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer Vibra-probe / TRX pp
    450 times
    MD & NA artifacts
    Quote Originally Posted by CASPER-2 View Post
    I'm registered with a few PDs to help if needed
    Kudos Casper. Some PDs will accept experienced volunteer MDers. Others, well, let's just say they are afraid someone might show them up (or steal some excuse for OT).
    HH
    dts

Nov 2012
    457 times
    I think it was just a media presentation, they surely were not detecting a thing that far above the ground. If they were I would very much like to see those detectors available to the general public. I thought they were ACE series judging from the color.

us
    Jan 2016
    NW Arcanslaw / SW Misery
    2445 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bowwinkles View Post
    I think it was just a media presentation, they surely were not detecting a thing that far above the ground. If they were I would very much like to see those detectors available to the general public. I thought they were ACE series judging from the color.
    I figured most people who looked at that photo would know they were not actively detecting but would notice the 3 hanging cords since I even added arrows to point them out.
    sprailroad likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    "WP"

May 2012
    11046 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sprailroad View Post
    I offered to volunteer my time if ever needed to the sheriff's Dept. one time. A friend of mine is with Search & Rescue, and for a possible crime scene asked to borrow a detector from me, I set up a user friendly detector, gave him a crash course, and wished them luck. They found trash and nothing else. When I told him I would be more then willing to assist in the future, I was told I could not, I need to be a Deputy. I understand chain of evidence etc., and would flag and not dig, but again, NO. So, with two borrowed detectors, they were just like the FBI guys pictured above. Oh well....... (At least the one I loaned out had the cord wrapped, bet my guy at least "Looked" professional).
    Have them deputise you then...
    sprailroad and 3cylbill like this.

us
    Jun 2017
    A2 Michigan
    Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Headphones, Sun Joe Hori Hori, CMS magnetics, the rest is just mil surplus.
    443 times
    Unless they are EOD, I'd think the exposure/training for the layperson using a MD would be very low to nil. Just as most treasure hunters are getting started, we learn from our mistakes and experiences with our machines. That cord hanging drives me bonkers too. I had a rookie mistake on Saturday. Forgot I had a new ring on my opposite hand, and I kept getting pinged every time I checked a handful of soil. I was so confused as to why I was getting a signal but had nothing but soil in my hand. Took me about 5 minutes to figure it out.
    sprailroad likes this.
    Dum spiro spero

Nov 2012
    457 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Icewing View Post
    I figured most people who looked at that photo would know they were not actively detecting but would notice the 3 hanging cords since I even added arrows to point them out.
    I seen the same group on Fox news and they appeared to be detecting but their swing height was about a foot to 18 inches above the ground

se
    Jun 2017
    Sweden
    Garrett Ace 250 Garrett AT Pro-Pointer
    159 times
    I like how they have the coil so long from the ground and they most go crazy over the signals they will get from the cords!
    P.ALLEN likes this.
    Best regards
    VLDETECTING

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links