Trade Safari for CTX 3030?

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

I am BY NO MEANS definitely doing this, but I always like coming to you all for professional advice.

I own the Safari. I absolutely love it. I’m not opposed to upgrading to the 3030...IF it truly is an upgrade. I know it has more bells and whistles, but those features (like plotting courses and stuff) are only a little bit of a plus to me personally.

I’m loving the fact that it’s waterproof... that’s sort of a huge thing for me. I hunt the salt water beaches often, so it would be a nice upgrade. I own the Tesoro sand shark, but I’d trade that in, plus the safari, and pay off the balance to get the CTX if it’s a beast of a machine.

Reason for why I want to trade out of the sand shark: I want to stay in the minelab fam like I had mentioned in the past. So one way or another, I’ll be getting out of the sand shark.

To sum it up, I would love a machine that can scan the beaches, be just as powerful or more than the Safari, is a minelab unit, and is waterproof and can be used in the surf. But I’d like just one machine to accomplish this. So the excal would be out. Is the ctx what I am looking for? A friend of mine is pretty certain the equinox, although will be a beautifully performing machine, will not match what the ctx can offer. So I don’t think I want the equinox.

That was a lot of talk from me. Sorry! What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes, the ctx is a SERIOUS upgrade from the safari. I would suggest waiting a few months to see re-world results of the Equinox before you make up your mind about its abilities or faults.

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
i can only tell you that the CTX is a beast at the beach....

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I used to own a Safari and have owned a CTX for awhile now. I can tell you the CTX is in a class by itself and far above the Safari.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to reinforce what the others have said Brett...while I have not owned the Safari,I do own an Explorer2 which is a really nice Minelab in its own right. But it's not in the same league as the CTX. Think of the Explorer as the AAA farm team,and the CTX just won the World Series(sorry Houston). Triple A ball players are REALLY good...the Safari is more like Double A ball maybe...whatever the hell they all are,YES...TRADE UP! Your bean will be BLOWN by what the CTX has to offer,and it offers it in a way that is seamless,just very easy to use. That's of course my personal opinion. The real "meat and pie" of the machine is its ability to ID targets that are deep or difficult in some way. I've pulled so many silver coins from my hunting places with the CTX it makes me furrow my brow at my other machines. Its like.."Really??"

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You all are awesome. And REALLY making me want to trade up. I’m fairly certain you just convinced me to do so. I may be moving forward on Monday with the purchase.

I want to just say that, for anyone looking for a great machine, the Safari just has something about it. I’m telling you, it’s just one insane machine that you don’t hear too much about, but I promise it’s an absolute monster. I wish everyone could have at least tried it once in their lives.

CTX - looking forward to your arrival, my friend.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sad to see a fellow Safari user put her down. Lemme know how the upgrade is. I don't think I can swing for the CTX. Just too dang expensive. I almost got one used on feebay for $1330 but got outbid for $10 last second. I love Safari but deep targets and coins in with iron are frustrating because you know there's probably something down there but can't tell which item is the good one. I either leave good stuff in the ground or go for some ghost digs depending on time. This is especially true with the big coil.
Her song is way more informative than a single frequency machine once you learn it. My original got stolen and I replaced it with another safari. That hurt but if I had had the CTX stolen I m not sure I could have sucked it up and replaced it. I paid $600 for my first and $650 for my second so I am almost halfway to a CTX. I am holding a candle for the Equinox and it may be the first machine I ever buy brand new. I think you will love it.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trust me, I️ DONT want to put the safari down. There is nothing wrong with it. Im just being stupid and wanting an upgrade. I️m hoping it’s the Safari with added bonuses.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread