Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Flashlight for night digs?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jul 2015
    Southwest PA
    Safari
    193 times
    Coins and valuable metals
    RustyGold I have a similar light and was wondering if you sharpened the focus that it showed the led like mine does? That was unexpected when I saw that projected out onto my wall. This light may work, but be cautious about moisture as the O rings and seals are cheap. So far the led has not blinked off on that light.
    RustyGold likes this.

us
    Oct 2014
    Wherever I am.
    Tesoro Eldorado, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Excal II, Garrett Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer AT, Human eyes
    1502 times
    GOLD - PLATINUM - SILVER
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    I use Olight rechargeable. Durable, clips on hat. Multiple levels of brightness.
    There is something truly exhilarating about digging an item of remarkable value out of the ground.

us
    Jul 2015
    Southwest PA
    Safari
    193 times
    I've heard of Olight. Must be pretty small and light to go on your hat.

BTW, I love that squirrel in Ice Age.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    OC, CA
    XP Deus Sovereign GT
    4179 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Swaveab View Post
    RustyGold I have a similar light and was wondering if you sharpened the focus that it showed the led like mine does? That was unexpected when I saw that projected out onto my wall. This light may work, but be cautious about moisture as the O rings and seals are cheap. So far the led has not blinked off on that light.
    Yes it does and that surprised me as well but still an awesome little flashlight.
    Rusty

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    OC, CA
    XP Deus Sovereign GT
    4179 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by HighVDI View Post
    You've probably been doing your night digs in a t-shirt lately Rusty Gold. You west coast diggers make me sick!
    Nah, when it gets down to 65 degrees we gotta put on gloves too.
    HighVDI likes this.

us
    Northern California

Aug 2007
    Southern California
    XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
    3239 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    A headlamp IS the handiest light to have! However having a super bright light is NOT the best one to have as:
    It eats up batteries quickly
    It is SUPER bright so you can be readily seen from a long distance away
    It takes a long time to be able to function again without the light, your eyes must re-adapt to the natural night light you were working in
    Super bright lights are expensive and yes they have levels of brightness but hitting the right button does not always happen thus exposing you
    I would suggest you purchase a much lower brightness light (50 lumens) as:
    It costs way less
    Batteries last a lot longer
    It will usually have a dim setting as well as its brightest setting and is usually a lot simpler to use than the brighter lights
    DO purchase one with a red or green LED as this is really handy

Regardless of which lumen rating light you purchase check how long the batteries last as all LED lights are NOT the same. Petzel or Black Diamond brand lights and other high quality head lamps have circuits that prolong battery life. This may not mean much in the city but when you are out there at night and you need to depend on your light it needs to work. The simple high quality lights do not cost that much more than the Harbor Freight items but they are higher quality and can be depended upon in all types of weather. Check them out at any good outdoor store like REI or online. Seeing at night is GOOD!............63bkpkr
    Last edited by 63bkpkr; Feb 08, 2018 at 12:46 PM.
    RustyGold likes this.
    Out searching w/GMT & friend under my arm

Charter Member
    us
    Come out from under your bed today...... DO SOMETHING!

Jun 2008
    Murphys, CA
    Ace 250 (2), Gold Bug 2, Falcon MD20, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Garrett pinpointer.
    3993 times
    Coin shooting, Nugget shooting, Relic hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Headlamps work best WITHOUT a cap. Clip-ons REQUIRE a cap. If I feel the need to detect at night, I use the light(s) sold at Rite-aid. They drape around your neck and have white or red modes. ╦╦
    You messed with the wrong Marine! Jack Nicholson A Few Good Men

Charter Member

Feb 2017
    Pa
    Fisher F75 - Tesoro Tejon - Tesoro Conquistador - Bounty Hunter Tracker iv - TRX.
    1603 times
    I ended with a simple headlamp. Switch left for red light and right for white.

I was amazed how well the red light worked. Never thought it would help as much as it does. It was actually a two pack at wally world for under 10 bucks. Both had batteries right out of the pack. I'll stick one in my car and one in the truck.
    TerryC and Swaveab like this.

May 2005
    84 times
    There are pocket size LED flashlights powered by 2 AAs. They are durable . Most discount stores have them for $2 or so. They will make radio frequency interference out to about 3 feet, even when turned off, at least the ones I tried. Pocket to coil distance should be more than that. As they're not as long or as heavy as big flashlights, they can be in a shirt pocket if being in pants pocket still creates interference. Weight of flashlight & batteries is just a few ounces.
    TerryC and Swaveab like this.

us
    Jul 2015
    Southwest PA
    Safari
    193 times
    Good info George.

Charter Member

Feb 2017
    Pa
    Fisher F75 - Tesoro Tejon - Tesoro Conquistador - Bounty Hunter Tracker iv - TRX.
    1603 times
    I've got a few cheap flashlights from harbor freight coupons and it's just a P.I.T.A. I'm always fumbling around in a pocket or in my finds pouch for it. I find the headlamp easy because it's out of the way, quick and easy. Thats JMO.
    TerryC likes this.

ca
    Feb 2011
    New Brunswick
    Minelab E-trac, Minelab Sovereign XS2a Pro
    30 times
    The Olight H2R Nova is awesome. I love mine , light and powerful. Also leaves your hands free to dig treasure

us
    Jul 2015
    Southwest PA
    Safari
    193 times
    I decided to see about getting a filter adapter for my Fenix FD-30 and after much difficulty I located them on the Fenix website. They were $7.50 each and a reviewer called them cheap and very breakable so I decided maybe to look around for another light when I came across a filter adapter from Nitecore that has the same head diameter and was available from another vendor at $3.95 each. I bit and got a red and blue one on order. If it doesn't work I'm only out $7.90+sh.
    HighVDI likes this.

Charter Member

Feb 2017
    Pa
    1603 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Swaveab View Post
    I decided to see about getting a filter adapter for my Fenix FD-30 and after much difficulty I located them on the Fenix website. They were $7.50 each and a reviewer called them cheap and very breakable so I decided maybe to look around for another light when I came across a filter adapter from Nitecore that has the same head diameter and was available from another vendor at $3.95 each. I bit and got a red and blue one on order. If it doesn't work I'm only out $7.90+sh.
    Didn't realize you were in my neck of the woods in SW PA
    Swaveab likes this.

us
    Jul 2015
    Southwest PA
    Safari
    193 times
    Yes, I am. You are one county below me though.
    HighVDI likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links